HELP! EBTA cruisers, didn't leave the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a TRANS-ATLANTIC cruise. Disney ABSOLUTELY knows who is a non-US passport holder because not only do they ask you for all that info when you check-in online - you have to show your passport/documents when you check-in at the cruise terminal to prove you have all the appropriate visas/docs necessary for travel. And I'm betting that the number of non-US citizens was pretty small - your "2,500" implies that almost all the passengers were non-US citizens, which is far from the truth. I'm sure that DCL could have printed a letter and gotten a couple of hundred letters overnighted in a day or two. Heck, I can do that sitting at my desk in a day. I'm sure that with all their resources Disney could have done it as well. People didn't call Disney because they didn't know there was a problem but after the FIRST person contacted Disney, Disney KNEW that there was a problem. They dropped the ball.
They didn't even only see our passports at embarkation, they hijacked them for 7 days! (Under a lot, a lot or protests)

The message didn't get mangled, the message didn't get send! Full stop. I'm not talking ship wide, I'm talking to the group that contacted them. If they couldn't send the proof without consent, they could have send a message (really, just anything!) to let us know they needed the consent (or as my first point, update it they weren't investigating anymore). They send NOTHING.
And this was after one specific executive guest correspondent was appointed, so it can't be an issue of thinking somebody else might do it

And about the 72 hours, you have people who have a time sensitive issue, they have 10 days to fix it. You already took 3 days not updating them and then you have the guts to tell them the proof they need may take 3 more days?

The message I was referring to is the phone call. That message. Looking at it from here, it would seem easy to say they can do this, they can do that. We just don't know A how many departments are involved, B what they do and don't know for fact, C What DHS told them or didn't tell them. And D what legal boundries that they have to operate in.To DHS, its another day at the office, and once they get the paperwork saying that theses families did indeed leave the country on time, the problem ceases to exist. To them. To you and the others Im sure that the unknown is punishing. Theres just too many unknowns.
You said it took 3 days of not updating. Granted they could have said, were still working on it. It could have taken that long for Disney to hear back from who ever. Again to them, its another day at the office. Not their problem. To others, the world is about to end.

On the 72 hour thing, that's probably a stock answer, but they may have flagged it or had someone or several someones waiting on the request which is why you got it within hours and not days.

Hopefully, and Id like to think that someone at Disney is taking notes, and that if this ever happens again, they'll be better prepared to deal with it. Im fairly certain that this is the first time that an issue of this magnitude has popped up. I cant recall any other lines that have had this issue either. Could Disney be more sympathetic, yes they can.

The message I was referring to is the phone call. That message. Looking at it from here, it would seem easy to say they can do this, they can do that. We just don't know A how many departments are involved, B what they do and don't know for fact, C What DHS told them or didn't tell them. And D what legal boundries that they have to operate in.To DHS, its another day at the office, and once they get the paperwork saying that theses families did indeed leave the country on time, the problem ceases to exist. To them. To you and the others Im sure that the unknown is punishing. Theres just too many unknowns.
You said it took 3 days of not updating. Granted they could have said, were still working on it. It could have taken that long for Disney to hear back from who ever. Again to them, its another day at the office. Not their problem. To others, the world is about to end.

On the 72 hour thing, that's probably a stock answer, but they may have flagged it or had someone or several someones waiting on the request which is why you got it within hours and not days.

Hopefully, and Id like to think that someone at Disney is taking notes, and that if this ever happens again, they'll be better prepared to deal with it. Im fairly certain that this is the first time that an issue of this magnitude has popped up. I cant recall any other lines that have had this issue either. Could Disney be more sympathetic, yes they can.
The phone call didn't get mangled, I confirmed what was said with DCL and so did our TA on my behalf.
They appointed somebody who specifically told us we would get updated and then we weren't, what more is there to it? This exact same person is the person who said there was nothing they could do, which is an UPDATE, which wasn't SEND but had to be PULLED from them

Disney doesn't need to take note, I'm working on a timeline and they'll all get it after it's all done with a huge complaint, as official as I can get it. And again, the complaint isn't about the visa issue and it isn't about each person having to fix in individually, it's about their lack of communication

Last edited:
They didn't even only see our passports at embarkation, they hijacked them for 7 days! (Under a lot, a lot or protests)

Outside of this particular issue, many cruise lines keep passengers' passports for various reasons. RCCL kept ours on a transatlantic I took several years ago, for example, and the practice is commonly discussed on Cruise Critic.

It was a TRANS-ATLANTIC cruise. Disney ABSOLUTELY knows who is a non-US passport holder because not only do they ask you for all that info when you check-in online - you have to show your passport/documents when you check-in at the cruise terminal to prove you have all the appropriate visas/docs necessary for travel. And I'm betting that the number of non-US citizens was pretty small - your "2,500" implies that almost all the passengers were non-US citizens, which is far from the truth. I'm sure that DCL could have printed a letter and gotten a couple of hundred letters overnighted in a day or two. Heck, I can do that sitting at my desk in a day. I'm sure that with all their resources Disney could have done it as well. People didn't call Disney because they didn't know there was a problem but after the FIRST person contacted Disney, Disney KNEW that there was a problem. They dropped the ball.

Disney does know how many people came from what area. What I am saying is that Disney may not know exactly how many cruisers from out of the country are affected. We may guess correctly now, that all of the non US passengers have an issue. Disney may not. Lets say for arguments sake that 500 passengers are from overseas. Say 10 call Disney asking for documents to prove they were on the ship. To Disney, roughly 5% of the overseas passengers have an issue. So lets say they believe that the rest may have an issue. Easiest thing is to send something to the entire ship. Everyone is now covered. So 2500 passengers. So someone at 200 or 210 Celebration gets on Word and types up a letter. Issues with paperwork, if you need help call this number for additional documentation. From there it goes to Disneys print shop where they have the commercial printers that can do hundreds and thousands of copies. If its not flagged as needs to be done yesterday, it takes a number. Once its ready and labeled, it gets moved to the mail room where Disneys mail staff takes over. Then FedUp or whoever comes to get it or when a driver is available and either takes it to the local Fedup office or arranges for Fedex to come get it. Disney is not like the average office where 2 or 3 people can print and stuff an envelope.

Now how many used a ta? Where does Disney send those docs? To the ta. So theres a delay there, because now theres an intermediate stop.

Like I said its very easy to say Disney can do this and Could do that, be we simply don't know whats going on behind the scenes.

If I were in this situation, I would not even bother with Disney, they did their part in giving the government the information that they needed to. What did they do wrong? I would move up the ladder and start hounding the immigration side. They are the ones who can actually do something about the situation. I know that it is a frustrating experience, I know because most of my family are immigrants to this country and we have dealt with this stuff. I would contact a lawyer that specializes in these situations and have them resolve it. That is usually the best and most efficient way to go about this. Yes, Disney could have sent an email if the information got to the right person that actually understood the situation, but they are not obligated to do the government's work for them.

If I were in this situation, I would not even bother with Disney, they did their part in giving the government the information that they needed to. What did they do wrong? I would move up the ladder and start hounding the immigration side. They are the ones who can actually do something about the situation. I know that it is a frustrating experience, I know because most of my family are immigrants to this country and we have dealt with this stuff. I would contact a lawyer that specializes in these situations and have them resolve it. That is usually the best and most efficient way to go about this. Yes, Disney could have sent an email if the information got to the right person that actually understood the situation, but they are not obligated to do the government's work for them.
Read this please
Just to be very clear about this. This isn’t anymore about our own visa. We’re now officially in overstay and I’ve done what I could. It’s been either enough or it hasn’t and that’s fine.
But currently I’m fighting for my fellow cruisers that don’t know and that I have no way to contact! I refuse to let DCL be inactive and have people at the border refused because of something that could be fixed right now, if DCL only lets them know it’s an issue!

The phone call didn't get mangled, I confirmed what was said with DCL and so did our TA on my behalf.
They appointed somebody who specifically told us we would get updated and then we weren't, what more is there to it? This exact same person is the person who said there was nothing they could do, which is an UPDATE, which wasn't SEND but had to be PULLED from them

Disney doesn't need to take note, I'm working on a timeline and they'll all get it after it's all done with a huge complaint, as official as I can get it. And again, the complaint isn't about the visa issue and it isn't about each person having to fix in individually, it's about their lack of communication
Gotcha. Like I mentioned to you before, there is some things you have first hand knowledge of that we may miss or not know. If Disney said well get back to you and didn't, (which isn't the first time) then its on them. If you had to pull info from them, then yeah, its on them.
I hope everything works out for you in the end, which it probably will.
And Id do the same thing when this is over, itemizing what happened and when......

Gotcha. Like I mentioned to you before, there is some things you have first hand knowledge of that we may miss or not know. If Disney said well get back to you and didn't, (which isn't the first time) then its on them. If you had to pull info from them, then yeah, its on them.
I hope everything works out for you in the end, which it probably will.
And Id do the same thing when this is over, itemizing what happened and when......
Yes, but like KashasMon said, there is promising to get back on a missing luggage item issue and then there is promising to get back to something like this

Disney does know how many people came from what area. What I am saying is that Disney may not know exactly how many cruisers from out of the country are affected. We may guess correctly now, that all of the non US passengers have an issue. Disney may not. Lets say for arguments sake that 500 passengers are from overseas. Say 10 call Disney asking for documents to prove they were on the ship. To Disney, roughly 5% of the overseas passengers have an issue. So lets say they believe that the rest may have an issue. Easiest thing is to send something to the entire ship. Everyone is now covered. So 2500 passengers. So someone at 200 or 210 Celebration gets on Word and types up a letter. Issues with paperwork, if you need help call this number for additional documentation. From there it goes to Disneys print shop where they have the commercial printers that can do hundreds and thousands of copies. If its not flagged as needs to be done yesterday, it takes a number. Once its ready and labeled, it gets moved to the mail room where Disneys mail staff takes over. Then FedUp or whoever comes to get it or when a driver is available and either takes it to the local Fedup office or arranges for Fedex to come get it. Disney is not like the average office where 2 or 3 people can print and stuff an envelope.

Now how many used a ta? Where does Disney send those docs? To the ta. So theres a delay there, because now theres an intermediate stop.

Like I said its very easy to say Disney can do this and Could do that, be we simply don't know whats going on behind the scenes.

You're making this so much more than it needs to be. All they needed to do was NOTIFY people. Based are their inaction Disney didn't think the issue was serous enough...so they chose to do nothing. It's too late for many people now so it doesn't matter.

You're making this so much more than it needs to be. All they needed to do was NOTIFY people. Based are their inaction Disney didn't think the issue was serous enough...so they chose to do nothing. It's too late for many people now so it doesn't matter.
I think it still matters. People need to know before they book a $10.000,- or more WDW holiday with their family and then be denied access at the border!

The message didn't get mangled, the message didn't get send! Full stop. I'm not talking ship wide, I'm talking to the group that contacted them. If they couldn't send the proof without consent, they could have send a message (really, just anything!) to let us know they needed the consent (or as my first point, update it they weren't investigating anymore). They send NOTHING.
And this was after one specific executive guest correspondent was appointed, so it can't be an issue of thinking somebody else might do it

And about the 72 hours, you have people who have a time sensitive issue, they have 10 days to fix it. You already took 3 days not updating them and then you have the guts to tell them the proof they need may take 3 more days?
Stupid question, I have a better then average knowledge on incoming customs etc for cargo but passengers isn't my strong suit.

When an overseas guest comes to Fl, say for a 7 day Disney cruise, they apply for a Visa, that's good for 90 days, and then the cruise line and airline sends your track so to speak to Customs or who ever, that shows you flew in on this date, cruised on these dates, and flew home on theses dates. Everyone from overseas has to do this correct? With a few exceptions of course.

In your case you got an email from someone saying why haven't you left yet? Correct? In that case why didn't anyone else who would be in the same boat not get that email? Basically why did only a select few get the hey you have so many days left warnings?

Stupid question, I have a better then average knowledge on incoming customs etc for cargo but passengers isn't my strong suit.

When an overseas guest comes to Fl, say for a 7 day Disney cruise, they apply for a Visa, that's good for 90 days, and then the cruise line and airline sends your track so to speak to Customs or who ever, that shows you flew in on this date, cruised on these dates, and flew home on theses dates. Everyone from overseas has to do this correct? With a few exceptions of course.

In your case you got an email from someone saying why haven't you left yet? Correct? In that case why didn't anyone else who would be in the same boat not get that email? Basically why did only a select few get the hey you have so many days left warnings?
No idea, in the same family, one person got it and the other one didn't, some families didn't get it at all. I think the warnings are a gesture from CBP, so they won't accept a "I didn't get the e-mail". I didn't even know they existed, because our previous departures were noted correctly (even over land to Canada!). But we did wonder on our last trip (not the Canada one) how they knew we left, because we never saw anybody from CBP because of connecting flights

Lets agree to disagree. All Im saying is that we dont know what is going on behind the doors at 200 or 210 Celebration. They may have documents being sent, they may not. Period the end. You and several others seem to think that Disney can snap there fingers and say you have a problem. All Im doing is showing you that its not that easy for Disney. Theres a lot of deparments that need to be involved to do any type of mass communication for them. Its not as simple as people may think.

The OP is right. The others that may be affected, that don't know do need to know. But going thru this in my mind, and something that I thought of a minute ago, If the OP got an email saying hey your about to overstay your visa, why didn't the others get the same email? That right there rings a really large alarm bell in my mind.

Lets agree to disagree. All Im saying is that we dont know what is going on behind the doors at 200 or 210 Celebration. They may have documents being sent, they may not. Period the end. You and several others seem to think that Disney can snap there fingers and say you have a problem. All Im doing is showing you that its not that easy for Disney. Theres a lot of deparments that need to be involved to do any type of mass communication for them. Its not as simple as people may think.

The OP is right. The others that may be affected, that don't know do need to know. But going thru this in my mind, and something that I thought of a minute ago, If the OP got an email saying hey your about to overstay your visa, why didn't the others get the same email? That right there rings a really large alarm bell in my mind.
We misinterpreted the e-mail, if it wasn't for our social media group, we wouldn't have known, it just happened to coincide with the moment our ESTA expired, so we took that was what was meant. Quite a lot of people misunderstood actually. And like I said before, there are people who didn't get the e-mail, but there is a site you can check and they still have the issue, without the e-mail

No idea, in the same family, one person got it and the other one didn't, some families didn't get it at all. I think the warnings are a gesture from CBP, so they won't accept a "I didn't get the e-mail". I didn't even know they existed, because our previous departures were noted correctly (even over land to Canada!). But we did wonder on our last trip (not the Canada one) how they knew we left, because we never saw anybody from CBP because of connecting flights
Ok, but the procedure is about right correct? I can see the email being a gesture and not official, but that's something the ones that did not get the email may want to look into. That would have solved most of the problem there.

We misinterpreted the e-mail, if it wasn't for our social media group, we wouldn't have known, it just happened to coincide with the moment our ESTA expired, so we took that was what was meant. Quite a lot of people misunderstood actually. And like I said before, there are people who didn't get the e-mail, but there is a site you can check and they still have the issue, without the e-mail
It happens. Ive misinterpreted some of my emails more then once. 1 was a $600 dollar mistake. The one I missed now I may have to get a lawyer involved, sooner rather then later. My new rule is trust but verify after that.
I was just curious about how that worked to see where else something may have failed. Which it may have if some are getting an email and others didn't. Even if you have to have a secret decoder ring to read it correctly.

Ok, but the procedure is about right correct? I can see the email being a gesture and not official, but that's something the ones that did not get the email may want to look into. That would have solved most of the problem there.
Well, the wording isn't really clear in the e-mail, like I said a lot of people misunderstood! You don't really expect this to happen. I travel a lot and know a lot of people who travel a lot to the US, nobody we told ever heard of this. Disney really should take responsibility and help their guest by notifying them. The only reason we're having this issue is because we were on THIS particular Disney Cruise

Yes, but like KashasMon said, there is promising to get back on a missing luggage item issue and then there is promising to get back to something like this
I understand completely. In that regard Im like a little kid. If you tell me that your going to do something, and you don't, Ill be sitting on your desk asking why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter