• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help expanding my AK touring plan

Hatbox

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are taking our first WDW trip alone and I need some pointers for our Animal Kingdom plan. We've been before, but only with my family who don't like thrill rides or animals. So our AK days have always been brief and I really don't know much outside the major attractions.

We plan to get there at 7:30 for an 8am EMH, and stay til 2pm (when we head back for Magical Express). It's a Monday, and it's the end of August when I assume most kids are back in school. I would appreciate any tips for my touring plan, but especially anything I should add!

8am
NAVI RIVER - rope drop
DINOSAUR
EVEREST

9am
re-ride EVEREST (single rider if needed)
Harambe Market
GORILLA FALLS

10am
KILIMANJARO SAFARI - FP+
light lunch at Satuli

11am
FOP - FP+

12pm
Nomad lounge for a drink and snack

1pm
FINDING NEMO - FP+ (I know we don't need to FP this but I don't know where else to use it...)

Things I'm specifically curious about (though I welcome all suggestions) --
- what other trails besides Gorilla Falls would you recommend?
- what about the Wildlife Express Train (and Conservation Station)? Worthwhile for adults?
- anybody done the Caring for Giants tour?

Last edited:
What day of the week will you be there? During the week, that looks good and should be doable. If it is a weekend, it can be very busy and you would need to get there by 7:15 to be toward the from of the rope drop line.
FoP will suck up most of the early crowd, so going to Navi, you should have a very short wait. Dinosaur and Everest also shouldn't be very long. We had one morning, we rode Everest 7 times in a row, getting out of the seat only to switch cars.
The rest of the morning doesn't look to pose and problems. Depending on time, I would also consider the Maharajah Trek in Asia when you get done with Everest.
HOwever, if it is a Saturday, especially, the crowd may force you to modify your plan for standby attractions.

What day of the week will you be there? During the week, that looks good and should be doable. If it is a weekend, it can be very busy and you would need to get there by 7:15 to be toward the from of the rope drop line.
FoP will suck up most of the early crowd, so going to Navi, you should have a very short wait.

Oops! I guess that's important, right? It's a Monday, and TP predicts crowds at like a 3 or 4.

To RD Navi River, do I need to be concerned about being near the front? I was under the impression that FOP sucks up so much of the crowd that it's (relatively) leisurely to do NRJ.

Things I'm specifically curious about (though I welcome all suggestions) --
- what other trails besides Gorilla Falls would you recommend?
- what about the Wildlife Express Train (and Conservation Station)? Worthwhile for adults?
- anybody done the Caring for Giants tour?
There is also Maharajah Jungle Trek. It is near Kali River Rapids. And that is where the baby tigers are (well teenager tigers now), so I'd highly recommend!

I wouldn't bother with Wildlife express train. They have a petting zoo, character meets, some informational animal stuff and you can look through the window into a vet area where they may or may not be doing animal procedures/check-ups. But overall, it is a larger time suck (travel there and back), and you don't have the whole day.

I have not done Caring for Giants, but every review I read about it is very positive. Priced affordably and only 1 hr. If you can work it in your schedule, I'd say go for it.

For Navi River Journey, I don't think you need to be RIGHT at the front of the rope drop queue, as most people will head towards FoP. They were letting people in before official park open, but I think your strategy of 7:30 arrival should work.

Other things you are missing:
-Festival of the Lion King. Another show, but unlike Nemo, it doesn't have a real storyline. It is more of a celebration with dancing, singing, acrobatics. It's over by Harambe. I like both Lion King and Nemo, so if you can fit FotLK in, I'd also recommend.
-Up! A Great Bird Adventure Show - Another animal show, but bird centric and this actually has live animals in it. I haven't seen it yet though, but I'd put it behind the others for priority.

One last thing - Animal Kingdom really is my favorite park. So many places to explore and just take in the atmosphere. If you end up falling in love with it too and don't want to rush back to your resort to catch DME, you can also consider taking an Uber. It was less than $30 for me to get from Boardwalk to MCO, and saved me so much time, as I didn't have to allot for the time to get from Epcot to my resort and then catch DME - I just brought my carry-on backpack to Epcot.

I wouldn't bother with Wildlife express train. They have a petting zoo, character meets, some informational animal stuff and you can look through the window into a vet area where they may or may not be doing animal procedures/check-ups. But overall, it is a larger time suck (travel there and back), and you don't have the whole day.

That's all I needed to hear! I'll skip it.

I have not done Caring for Giants, but every review I read about it is very positive. Priced affordably and only 1 hr. If you can work it in your schedule, I'd say go for it.

Yeah, I think I'll go for this over adding FOTLK and the UP show.

One last thing - Animal Kingdom really is my favorite park. So many places to explore and just take in the atmosphere. If you end up falling in love with it too and don't want to rush back to your resort to catch DME, you can also consider taking an Uber. It was less than $30 for me to get from Boardwalk to MCO, and saved me so much time, as I didn't have to allot for the time to get from Epcot to my resort and then catch DME - I just brought my carry-on backpack to Epcot.

Thanks so much for this tip! I've always suspected it'd be my favorite park if I had the chance to explore more deeply. We're definitely going back to the resort after so we can shower in the pool house before traveling for eight hours, but I'll definitely keep Uber in my back pocket in case I'm not ready to rush back :-)

Plan should work.

• Navi will not be too busy as everyone is pushing to get to FOP. You do not need to be in the front. Crazy jam of people.
  • I would do the Jungle Trek in Asia. The tigers are still young enough that they are very active and fun to see. They seem to be out late morning. Detour to this after you ride Everest as you are on the way back to Africa.
  • I (and many others) think the Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property. Unless you are big Nemo fans, this is worth seeing for sure.
  • Have you seen Tough to Be A Bug already? That is a 3D movie that is well done.

Everything is very personal of course, but having said that hands down I would pick Festival of the Lion King over the Nemo show. We are huge Nemo fans and were so bored during the show, but FotLK keeps us excited and engaged the entire time.

I would choose Festival of the Lion King over FInding Nemo!!!

Oh, and we always go over the summer. I wouldn't miss Kali River Rapids-- I love getting soaked in the Florida heat!!!

Last edited:
I would switch your FP from Nemo to FOLK - its a fantastic show. I like Nemo too but you don't need a FP. I would think you could fit both in easily

Caring for Giants is worthwhile. It was so pleasant (and educational!) to have time overlooking their area with guides.

I (and many others) think the Festival of the Lion King is the best show on property. Unless you are big Nemo fans, this is worth seeing for sure.

Everything is very personal of course, but having said that hands down I would pick Festival of the Lion King over the Nemo show. We are huge Nemo fans and were so bored during the show, but FotLK keeps us excited and engaged the entire time.

I would choose Festival of the Lion King over FInding Nemo!!!

I would switch your FP from Nemo to FOLK - its a fantastic show.

I keep hearing this, but I watched some clips on YouTube and, guys, I just don’t get it! Of course it’s subjective, and I think that it’s simply not our taste, but I’m confused why so many people say it’s the best show.

I’ll save this one for when we come back with kids in a few years :-) thanks all for the suggestion!

I keep hearing this, but I watched some clips on YouTube and, guys, I just don’t get it! Of course it’s subjective, and I think that it’s simply not our taste, but I’m confused why so many people say it’s the best show.

I’ll save this one for when we come back with kids in a few years :-) thanks all for the suggestion!

That's one of the things I like best about Disney - there really is quite a variety, a little something for everybody. Definitely go with your gut and you'll have a great time cuz you're at Disney so it's all good!

Have you seen Tough to Be A Bug already? That is a 3D movie that is well done.

I actually LOVE it! Maybe I’m a sicko, but I think it’s funny hearing the kids freak out when it unexpectedly gets scary (why is it so scary?!). However, because this is one of the few attractions my whole family likes, we’ve done it to death and my husband requested we skip it this time...

....we’ll see about that.

Depending on how much time you get between FOP and Finding Nemo, you may want to meander through the Discovery Island trail rather than taking the normal path in front of the Tree of Life. It's simpler than Maharajah and Gorilla Falls but very pretty and quiet.

Previous posters have given you great advice. I want to emphasize allowing time to just take it all in. There is so much to look at and the theming is fantastic. One trip we were meandering and ended up right in the middle of a brief macaw "show", and it made our day! It's our favorite park!

Depending on how much time you get between FOP and Finding Nemo, you may want to meander through the Discovery Island trail rather than taking the normal path in front of the Tree of Life. It's simpler than Maharajah and Gorilla Falls but very pretty and quiet

Oooh, good idea - I'll definitely do that, thanks!

Previous posters have given you great advice. I want to emphasize allowing time to just take it all in. There is so much to look at and the theming is fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to this aspect. I like the breathing room I have in my plan and I don't think I'll do much to fill in the gaps after all. I think we're going to have a great day :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter