Help!! First trip to disney..

jul_of_pa

Earning My Ears
I feel like I need advise. This is my first trip to disney and I am taking my 10yr old son by myself. I am getting worried about not knowing what I am doing or not making this the best trip for him.

I want this trip to be all about him. What can I do to make this really special for him?

Any advise is more than welcome.

Thank you

Hi there,

Welcome to the DIS board...

The first thing I would suggest is to go out and buy a book called the Unofficial Guide to WDW. It decribes almost every nook and cranny of WDW. It gives a description of all the rides and rates them by age group so you can figure out what you will like and what you want to skip.

It also has touring plans that help save a lot of time by not standing in long lines.

It also has a lot of money saving tips.

It describes a lot of Disney as well as off-site hotels and local attraction.

Ask lots of questions, and e-mail or PM (peronnal message) me....

Your trip will be great...:)

There's also a Kid's Guide to Disney book. Maybe he could read it and see what he thinks would be fun - then you could plan on seeing those events/rides. The book has a lot of reviews by other kids so he might enjoy reading it. Hope you have a great trip!

hi there, the books are great, you can also check the library. There are alot of books to choose from. I think just going to disey will be special for your son but we also like doing a character meal. Chef mickey is good and the crystal palace. I am sure whatever you do, disney will be great. Ann

I found some great deals on guides(WDW WIth Kids, Birnbaum's WDW) on eBay. They are a couple of years old but they certainly serve the purpose. I plan on going through and making notes, highlight some things,etc.
Try eBay or Half.com for used guides. You'll save $$$

Take the time to pick up a map each day as you enter the park and familiarize yourself with the attractions/rides that the two of you most want to do. Attack the park counter-clockwise and be sure to use fastpass as much as possible. Relax and enjoy yourself. Have a wonderful trip!!!

We took the nephews, when they were not quite 5 & 9 a couple of years ago. We got them the Birnbaum's for Kids, by Kids. They loved it! They got to pick out what they absolutely couldn't miss, and we worked around that! This trip was completely (except for 1 "Adult's Choice dinner), for them. We all had a blast.

To avoid disappointments, we checked out what height restrictions were, and what rides/shows were scheduled for refurbishment during our visit, so they didn't get there hearts set on anything they couldn't do.

Regardless, you will have a great time. Just remember to relax & go with the flow.

iluvtig

I'm a single mom and I travel solo with my kids as well. This is a great vacation to focus on them and really spend time with them without the outside distractions. Once we leave for vacation we are on kid time and I put all my other worries aside.

You've started in the right place to gather info. :) Read as much as you can, you won't remember it all but you are way ahead of the game. We all make a must do list of rides/attractions/shows we must see or we will go home dissapointed. We make sure we do at least these things and everyone's happy.

Keep asking questions and you will become an expert in no time.

I second the character meals. I think they are a MUST for kids of all ages. Go to Disney.com and order the free 100 years Video to help get you in the mood and show him some of the rides and parades. I truely believe in reading everything you can get your hands on. Books from the library and there are some great websites out there. I like the DIS best but WDWIG.com is a great one as well as Mousesavers.com
I know that plenty of people on the DIS like the gift baskets delivered, but I like to make my own. I usually get the largest sand bucket I can find and fill with different snacks that I know he'll enjoy, a disposable camera so he can take his own pictures, a pen and autograph book, suntan lotion and sunglasses, koolaid pouches and lots of trinkets that you know would be fun for your child. I don't have children, but I do these things for my niece each time she goes and it's always been a big hit. If you're going in the summer, plan to have 1 day at one of the water parks or the pool if you're staying at a disney resort. If you're not, there are some great codes for super discounts that could make your trip even more special by staying in the heart of it all. If you are staying on site, take advantage of the character caravan if he's interested, the lines are shorter and it will free up more time in the parks.

PS. Quit worrying. Since it's his 1st trip he won't know if something is missed. There's so much to see it's doubtful he's gonna be able to take it ALL in.

Cheryl

Disnee Dad Says...........................Your trip will be great, this site has every answer to every question ever asked about WDW!! I've got park maps from last November, if you want to touch, feel and handle the real thing, just send a private message with an address to send them to. You are already 50% ahead of the rest of the crowd, just by being here. Just sit back and ask some questions, like "whats the best two early hours at a park"____fill in name of park."what are the favorites for 10 yo boys"," how soon do I make reservations","what are the best counter service restaurants","anybody have some touring trips". You will get so much information, that you will feel like you have already been there, when you get there!!!

You will need a place to store all this info. And I found a great computer Disney Vacation Planner it stores your tips,Meal arrangements,touring plans.....it does it all plus it's loaded with info you can get on the pull down menues at the top of the planner,like how to make Piority Seating for meals and mucxh more.....

You can download it at this link just click it!
http://www.intercot.com/planner/default.asp

Thank you to all that responded to my message. I am getting more and more informed because of this site. This site is wonderful.

I do have another question. In one of the response emails someone mentioned having a gift basket delivered. What is that? Is that something special for the kids? I would like to also know about a pin swap?

Thank you all,
Julie

Here's the link to Gifts of a Lifetime that do wonderful baskets if you aren't interested in doing your own. I'm sorry I'm not into Pin Swapping so I don't have that info, but I did notice they have the lanyard and pin set you can order as a gift.

http://www.giftsofalifetime.com/shopping.html

Have a great trip!
Cheryl

Wow I finally get to share this info!! Hope it helps!!

Mickey’s Guidelines for Pin Trading
Guidelines when interacting with guests while wearing the Pin Trading Lanyard:

12 Disney pins should be maintained on the lanyard.
Under no exceptions should the following pins be displayed on the lanyard or traded: Disney Service pins, Disney Trainer pins, Disney Partners in Excellence Award pins, Cast Member Disney name tags, Disney language pins, Disney Cast Member commemorative Millennium pins, or non-Disney pins.
The Cast Member will trade a pin from their lanyard for another different Disney pin from the Guest (one for one trade).
Trades will be conducted "hand by hand." Cast Members may not remove a pin from a Guest’s person or property, nor may a Guest remove a pin from the Cast Member’s lanyard.
Trade one Disney pin at a time.
Cast Members trading Disney pins with a Guest should follow established Disney Guidelines for Guest Service.
A Cast Member may not refuse to trade a Disney pin with a Guest for another Disney pin.
To enhance the Guest experience during a trade, the Cast Member should share any "stories" about pins they have traded with the Guest.
Always hand the guest your pin with the back attached.
The Cast Member should be knowledgeable about pin trading and the retail Pin locations across property, and share this with the Guests.
No monies or gifts will be exchanged for a Disney pin being traded.
If a Guest chooses to trade a pin with the Cast Member during a sales transaction, first complete the sales transaction, close the cash register drawer and then proceed with the trade.
Pins on the lanyard should not be used for Guest recovery.
Every Cast Member is responsible for having 12 Disney pins on their lanyard when it is turned in at the end of their shift.
The Cast Members should wear the lanyard on the costume at all times with exception of a safety concern.
Trading opportunities with the Guest begin the moment the Cast Member steps on stage.
Trading back stage is unacceptable.
During their shift, Cast Members are not allowed to trade with Cast Members wearing the pin trading lanyard.
Contact a manager if there are any unusual concerns with your lanyard (broken pin, loss of back, etc.)
Loss of any of the 12 Disney pins and/or the lanyard or violation of these guidelines could be considered poor judgment or poor job performance and could result in disciplinary action not excluding termination.
Pin Stations will be in these locations across property:
Magic Kingdom – Main Street Town Square and Exposition Hall
Downtown Disney – Westside and Marketplace
Disney’s MGM Studios – Pin Station Hollywood Junction

I would definately get some of the Disney Guides. We have the Unofficial Guide to WDW and the Birmbaum book. These would be a great way to start.

Like someone said, look at the maps in these books and familiarize yourself with the layout of the parks. The books have great tips.

Also, hang out on the boards and ask questions. Some of the advise you get here is better than the books. If the lines are long for the rides you want to ride, you can do fastpass or wait for the parades to start and the lines usually get short.

Anyway welcome to the DIS.

We have bought the Passporter the last two years. It has the most accurate info of anything listed here and includes coupons for transportation, etc. We bought tbe ring binder version and a refill this year. It also has planning guides for different iteneraries.
http://www.passporter.com

Buz

I am sure you will try to see as much as possible like so many people do on their initial visit. I think the best advise anyone gave me was to TAKE YOUR TIME. Disney World is a lot more than rides. If you rush from one ride to the next you will miss a lot of the Disney experience. After a couple of days running the theme parks, spend a day at one of the GREAT waterparks. They are somewhat relaxing, you have a LOT of fun and you get to more Disney magic. Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon are the two best water parks.
Try to plan on eating at some of the restaurants at the resorts like the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Wilderness lodge, Yacht Club etc., this gives you the opportunity to explore these resorts and see yet another part of Disney World.
Rides I think a ten year old would like:
EPCOT: Test track, Body Wars, Cranium Command, World Showcase (He may not like world showcase, but you will love it.)
MAGIC KINGDOM: Alien Encounter, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Carribean, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Grand Prix Raceway.
MGM: Rockin Rollercoaster, Star Tours, Muppet 3D Movie.
Animal Kingdom: Killamanjaro Safari, Kali River Rapids, It's tough to be a bug 3D movie, Nature Trails
Have fun and take your time. Remember you are on vacation.

You all are great in answering my questions. Here is another. I want to take my camera along, but I am afraid of getting it wet. How do you carry things along but yet not worry about different rides and getting things wet? If you do carry a back pack what do you do with it while you are on the rides? See I told you I am new at this!!!! Hehehehe.

Thank you!
Julie

I took a real small camera/fanny pack, and I bought it at the GoodWill store(I believe it originally came from Wal-Mart). It was the only thing I carried in that fanny pack so I had quick access to my camera, and I could protect it from the stuff in my backpack.
Both DH and I took backpacks and you just take them on any ride with you. Like on Space Mountain, I took it off and set it on the floor of the coaster and wrapped my leg around the stap.
Took the backpacks with us on every ride.

Have Fun!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter