Help! How much DW time do we give up for UOR??

aprilbabes

Mouseketeer
We are Planning our 5th trip to Disney with our 7 and 9yr olds for our April spring break. Although we are not Harry Potter fans (yet) we’d like to experience Universal for the first time. However, I’m having a tough time deciding how much of my Disney time I’m willing to give up! We haven’t been to DW in 2 years and there are a lot of new things we want to experience. Plus, our family enjoys relaxing afternoons at the resort pool.
Originally, I thought we’d just take a day trip (or two) to Universal, but now I’m thinking we’ll start out our trip there for a night or two so that we can not only experience the uor parks, but enjoy some resort time too. We typically stay deluxe, so this would possibly save a few bucks since it seems that uor resorts are cheaper than those at DW. Would love to hear feedback from the experts though!! Any tips or advice, including uor resort feedback, would be greatly appreciated!

Certainly worth experiencing. We normally do 1 night at a deluxe - Royal Pacific. Easy to walk to the parks and City Walk. That gives you 2 days of Express Pass. You always receive it for the day you check in and the day you check out. 1 1/2 days are plenty for us at Universal, but you may find a full 2 days is good. There are a lot of thrill rides there, so it depends on how your kids like those rides. Harry Potter is worth a view even if you don't do the rides.

I can certainly recommend RPR, it's a lovely resort and we stayed there last year and found it perfect for Universal.

Back in the day I'd have hesitated with kids that young but now with Harry Potter and a few more "tamer" rides (or at least less nuts) it's certainly a viable option for all ages, though I would agree with the poster above - normally I would recommend 4 days there but with not doing some of the more extreme stuff I would say 2 days would be the best to start out with. One full day for Universal Studios, the other for Islands of Adventure - this I suspect will be the park you do a little less in and I think this day would be the best for some resort time. It's all down to personal tastes.

My advice is if you do go to US/IoA, definitely book the hotel and also - take it a little easier. Sit back and really look around you. We noticed more details last trip thanks to not having to wait in line a lot. Express passes don't just save you the wait they let you look around the parks more. For us, we find it a bit more relaxing than WDW so it's nice to start the trip with to get us geared up for the planning crazy that is WDW these days.

I will agree whole heartedly with what the above two posters have said. We always stay at a Universal Deluxe property becasue it gets you their Unlimited Express Pass-you will only wait at most, 10 minutes in line, and rarely that much! It allows us to do sooooo much. DH and I ride everything and we can accomplish multiple re-rides of our favourites, leisurely food AND pool breaks in 2 days (actually less).

I’d plan at least 2 park days. Their resorts are top notch and worthy of even just planning your down days to be at Universal vs Disney. Cheaper, you can pool hop and (importantly to me!) try something new! You’ve done Disney 5 Times. Even though it’s been 2 years, it’s ok to do more Universal time and less Disney time. :)

Plan for 1 day per park you want to visit. If you stay at one of the three deluxe resorts ( Hard Rock, Royal Pacific, Portifino Bay), you get free Unlimited Express Passes for the duration of your stay, from checkin day to check out. This is Disney’s equivalent to FP, only you are not limited to using it on only 3 rides. You can use it on all the rides as many times as you’d like.

Hopping back and forth between parks is fast and easy. You can go from one park to another in about 10 minutes. Going to and from the resorts is just as quick and easy. There’s a beautifully landscaped walkway, or you can take a short boat ride. It’s about 5 to 10 minutes to Hard Rock, depending exactly where you start and end. About 10 to 15 to Royal Pacific, and 15 to 20 to Portifino which is the farthest away. There are also cyclists pulling rickshaws, you can tip to take you along the walking paths.

Universal also has their own version of DTD, on a smaller scale called Citiwalk. Unlike DTD which stands alone, Citiwalk is attached to both parks and the hotels. Citiwalk is made up of a movie theater, mini golf, shops, restaurants, a small splash pad, and a small stage for outdoor entertainment. It is close enough to the parks and the resorts that eating there for a meal is not an inconvenience. It is quick and easy to leave the parks to go to Citiwalk for lunch.

In general, reservations aren’t needed for restaurants. You can decide 5 minutes before where you want to eat.

We really love Universal because you can relax, take your time, and just go with the flow. We find it much more laid back than Disney.

Having said all that, really do your homework and make sure Universal is the right fit for your family right now. I feel your kids are at the most iffy age to go. Very young children and toddlers are entertained by all the play and splash areas. Older tweens, teens, and adults by the thrill rides. When you get to the elementary age kids it’s really hit or miss, with some loving it, and it not being a good fit for others. Many attractions can be very intense, dark, scary, or all of the above. Many rides have height requirements, and many rides cause motion sickness. I’m not saying don’t go, I’m saying have a realistic idea of how many attractions the kids will be able and will want to do. Nothing worse than getting all excited only to realize once there that the kids are too short or too scared to do very much.

Universal does have rider swap if there are any rides some members of the group can’t or don’t want to do. Though, it’s a bit different than Disney’s version. Everyone stays together and waits in line until it is time to board. At that point, you tell the attendant you are doing rider swap. The parent and non rider go to a room to wait while the other members ride. Then you switch out parents. The rooms usually have a place to sit and a tv playing some type of cartoon or movie related to the ride.

With a little pre-planning, you'll have a great time. Good luck.

Yep, if we do Disney, we stay in Disney, if we do Universal, we stay in Universal. Too hard to commute from DW and tend with the huge Universal garages. And if you like Deluxe, all three of the onsite hotel's that have the unlimited express pass have very nice rooms, and beautiful grounds. Pools are nice, Portofino has a slide, Hard Rock plays music underwater, and Royal Pacific's is tropical looking. All have kid games during the afternoon by or in the pool. Check the times guide for the hotel to see what is going on day and night. For ease, I'd get a 2 day park to park, that way you can ride the Potter train, and switch between parks during park hours. Do one park in the morning, back to swim, then other park at night.

I find the closest or closer hotels to the parks is where we go, as it's fun to be able to be there quick, and when tired after a long day, back quick.

You can look at online reviews of the rides, to get a better idea of what your family likes. Plus, there is an Animal show, a fun, family Horror Make Up Show, and small acts that play around the park, like Blues Brothers.

If you stay onsite at the darkside during the week, rates are cheaper.
Friday/Saturday (just like the motherland) have higher rates for rooms.

Start your trip off with two nights stay at a deluxe at UO and then switch do WDW for the remainder of your vacation.

Since you will be going during spring break, you will totally love having the unlimited ep if you stay at rpr, hrh or pbh.

No charge for the ep as it is included as a benefit for those 3 hotel.

I used to stay 12 nights at disney and 2 or 3 at universal.
Over the years I reversed that.

I do disney first and it is a rush adventure.
A lot of pre planning for fp and adr.

When I move over to universal, I go at a slow pace and get up when I wake up.
I don't live by the clock when there but do have a long stay onsite.
I come home relaxed

What you can do to help you decide if you need one day or two park days for UO is to look at the website and check out what is in the parks.
Look at the ride descriptions and height reequirements.
Check out the shows and street entertainment.

Skim through the trip report forum to learn tips and read about the poster's personal experience.
Many give background on the group they are with.
Kids, ages, etc.

Whatever you do, have fun!
If you need planning tips on the darkside, come back and
many of us will help.

Our first trip to Universal was only a one day trip in the middle of our annual 9 day trip. We had done IOA before, so only wanted to do US side. That worked out great
Our next visit was also in the middle of a 10 day trip. Planned an extra day so we could stay overnight at RPR. As above posters stated, you get 2 days of EP
s with your one night stay. There is also early admission to one park per day. We thoroughly enjoyed HP lands, the train ride, and all the other attractions in both parks. It was so nice to eat where and when we wanted,and not having fp's to worry about. It was a much less stressed environment
If we do it again, we will do the same 2 day trip.

Last trip we had a 7 and 9 yo (and a 5 yo) and spent 4 days at Uni. But we are HP fans and spent a lot of time there. I would feel like less than 2 days would be rushed. But I feel your pain on sharing time between the resorts. We do a long weekend and separate 8 day WDW trip because we don't feel like less than that is enough for either.

Thank you al so much for the great info!
Now I just need todecide ...

- 1 or 2 nights at UOR (leaning towards 2)?
-Portofino or Royal pacific?
-Which to do first - DW or UOR?

- 2 nights
- Portofino
- DW First. Having the wait for Disney buses after using the Boat transportation at UOR for a few days is depressing.

2 nights.....no doubt...…

Royal Pacific.....absolutely no doubt...….

WDW first...….:thumbsup2

Warning - if you go stay at a Universal deluxe like Portofino you will be kind of bummed out switching back to a Disney hotel so I recommend Universal at the end of your trip.

Warning - if you go stay at a Universal deluxe like Portofino you will be kind of bummed out switching back to a Disney hotel so I recommend Universal at the end of your trip.

We stay deluxe in Disney too. We’ll probably stay at Poly so I think I’ll be fine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter