Help. I'm here now. Won't give me housekeeping $ because of TA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I'm NOT here on a convention rate. Let me clarify that. The rate I actually paid is only slightly less than a rack rate. I am NOT here on a convention. In fact the rate I paid through the TA reservation is more than the two additional days I purchased using my AP discount. Turn out someone, whether it was on the Disney end or the TA end, lumped my name in with some convention. Yes, there are TONS of middle school and high school kids here. Perhaps they lumped me in with them. BUT I am NOT part of that.

Uh, your TA just told you you were booked on a convention rate. LOL I really wish Disney would stop greasing the squeaky wheel.
I am NOT here on a convention rate. Trust me....the rate I paid is only slightly less than rack rate.

We stayed at POFQ in January/Feb this year, booked a discounted room through TA (convention rate), and got the GC.

I think it's luck of the draw.
Yes. We had a split stay at POFQ with a convention rate for both stays. We were also offered the gift card when we checked in for the first stay. When I received the gift card, the amount also covered my second stay, which was very nice.

Hey. I'm NOT here on a convention rate. Let me clarify that. The rate I actually paid is only slightly less than a rack rate. I am NOT here on a convention. In fact the rate I paid through the TA reservation is more than the two additional days I purchased using my AP discount. Turn out someone, whether it was on the Disney end or the TA end, lumped my name in with some convention. Yes, there are TONS of middle school and high school kids here. Perhaps they lumped me in with them. BUT I am NOT part of that.

You can be on a convention rate without physically attending a convention, being part of a group that is having a convention, or even signing up to attend one. That’s what happened here. Your TA used a convention rate discount to book your reservation, so you’re subject to whatever restrictions come with that discount code.

Update. Called the front desk again. Apparently, after looking into this further, they discovered that my TA booked me in with other people on a convention, and thus was not entitled to the housekeeping discount. HOWEVER.....I am NOT here with a convention or group....and finally got the money credited to my account. For those of you who said I shouldn't worry about it or whatever, here's the deal. If I am entitled to the money for giving up housekeeping ,then I am entitled to it. Simple as that.
I'm glad you got it worked out. Booking with a TA doesn't always mean your booked on a convention rate. TA's can book general discounts and AP rates. If you do book with a TA on a convention rate they are usually pretty up front about that. I'm not why everyone on here insists you were booked with a convention rate. I'd think you'd know if you did.

I'm glad you got it worked out. Booking with a TA doesn't always mean your booked on a convention rate. TA's can book general discounts and AP rates. If you do book with a TA on a convention rate they are usually pretty up front about that. I'm not why everyone on here insists you were booked with a convention rate. I'd think you'd know if you did.

You’re incorrect. They do not explicitly say it’s a group rate. This particular agency is known for getting the “convention rate,” but they are not always “up front” about. If you book with them regularly you know.

Nah. If you don’t know the ins and outs it’s entirely possible you won’t realize it. The easy test is: did you get a better rate than Disney was offering with their discounts? Then you’re at a group/convention rate. And those discounts can be a little to a lot.

Nah. If you don’t know the ins and outs it’s entirely possible you won’t realize it. The easy test is: did you get a better rate than Disney was offering with their discounts? Then you’re at a group/convention rate. And those discounts can be a little to a lot.
I’ve booked exclusives with TA’s and they’ve been very clear about the convention rates. It’s not like it’s a secret. They’ve also been able to change the convention rate to an AP discount. I would assume the op knows the in and outs since they are AP holders and frequent Disney social media sites.

I’ve booked exclusives with TA’s and they’ve been very clear about the convention rates. It’s not like it’s a secret. They’ve also been able to change the convention rate to an AP discount. I would assume the op knows the in and outs since they are AP holders and frequent Disney social media sites.
The TA you have used was clear. Doesn't mean ALL TA are. Some aren't on the up and up as they should be. Surely you know that

The TA you have used was clear. Doesn't mean ALL TA are. Some aren't on the up and up as they should be. Surely you know that
I guess I’m just smart enough to ask questions and know what I’m booking. I forget not everyone is like me.

Update. Called the front desk again. Apparently, after looking into this further, they discovered that my TA booked me in with other people on a convention, and thus was not entitled to the housekeeping discount. HOWEVER.....I am NOT here with a convention or group....and finally got the money credited to my account. For those of you who said I shouldn't worry about it or whatever, here's the deal. If I am entitled to the money for giving up housekeeping ,then I am entitled to it. Simple as that.

I am NOT here on a convention rate. Trust me....the rate I paid is only slightly less than rack rate.

"Apparently, after looking into this further, they discovered that my TA booked me in with other people on a convention". You are there on a convention rate. There is no actual convention. The other guests booked through this TA have a convention rate as well. You are actually in that group, but you'll never know it because there is no convention or event to attend. It's just that the TA you booked through works with Disney groups and buys room blocks at a discount and passes that discount onto their clients - that's you. Did you book something deemed an "agency exclusive" or something to that effect? Your TA didn't "lump" you in there. How do you think the TA got a discounted rate that was not available to the general public? The only way you can get "lumped" into a convention is if the TA called Disney groups and booked your room in their room block. That's what happened. You may want to reach out to your TA and confirm this if you use them for future trips. You got lucky. As was mentioned several times in this thread, convention/group bookings are not eligible for the gift card offer.

Here's the background. I've been coming to Disney yearly for about 28 years. For the last five years I moved closer and now am a short car ride away (albeit NOT a Florida resident). I now come about 2-3 times a year. Sometimes I book on my own, sometimes I use a very "good" TA. They've gotten rooms for me in the past called "Agency Exclusives". NEVER EVER once did they ever say anything about a convention rate. AND to top it off, the rate I just paid for this last stay was quite high.....certainly not what I think a convention rate would be.

Regardless.....I am going to address the TA tomorrow because after getting my folio, they credited me $20 onto my account and labled it something like "Customer Complaint".....which I am now upset about. I don't need that on my "Disney Permanent Record" (I'm sure they have one, LOL).

And last,but not least, I do want to thank the people who chimed in with advice. It is sincerely appreciated. :flower: However, there were one or two people who I believe were downright rude. It wasn't necessary. And I didn't need the $20. To me, at first I was curious about why I wasn't getting it, which after some research turned into a quest for the principal of the matter.:mic:

If they (Disney) believed you had a convention rate and were not entitled to the $20, they had to code the $20 in a different way. They felt the reason was due to your complaint. I am not sure what your TA will be able to do about it. I know sometimes it is the principle of the thing, and it is your choice to complain to both Disney and your TA, but I would just enjoy the time with my family and be glad I had the twenty bucks.

Update. Called the front desk again.

Had the second stay started yet? Did you ask the actual front desk during the second stay about it?

Remember, calling the front desk doesn’t mean you’re talking to the people there at the resort.

I am NOT here on a convention

As others have said, you don’t have to be.

I'm not why everyone on here insists you were booked with a convention rate. I'd think you'd know if you did.

Nope!

Did you book something deemed an "agency exclusive" or something to that effect?

Good question.

The other way is for the OP to try to copy/paste the agency’s website into a post here and see if it’s allowed. That would point to one specific TA that won’t be allowed to be mentioned here that does use such rates.

Regardless.....I am going to address the TA tomorrow because after getting my folio, they credited me $20 onto my account and labled it something like "Customer Complaint".....which I am now upset about. I don't need that on my "Disney Permanent Record" (I'm sure they have one, LOL).

Eh. We’ve gotten $450 total credited for two customer complaints and no one has blackballed us. The second one was 100% righteous even in retrospect (heinous mold/mildew in a two bedroom at SSR and then it took over an hour to get the offered 200 added to the account (after we had been moved) and then it wouldn’t work, so they tacked on 50). The first issue, in retrospect, was maybe not as righteous though I thought it was for years.

But my point is that $20 isn’t going to make them blink an eye.

But do GO to the front desk in the future.

If you just got your folio that means you checked out today, Sunday, yes? Which means the second stay started today? But you got the credit yesterday, before the second stay had started?

Yes, some of us can be abrupt/rude. However, in this case when you keep referring to how entitled you are, it makes it difficult to muster any sympathy for you. Multiple posters tried to explain to you that an “Agency Exclusive” rate is in fact a convention rate. You chose to argue with them instead of saying “Oh, I get it! Ok I didn’t know that before!” We know you are not there to attend a convention, but that is the rate you booked and with that comes no rebate for declining housekeeping. You also are now angry at Disney bc they flagged your account with a complaint (as they should) and are threatening to waste more of your precious vacation time arguing with a front desk agent. Arguing with Disney about a complaint flag will only worsen your situation. But, it’s your vacation and if you want to spend it arguing with DISboard members and Disney CMs... well, that’s your prerogative.

OK, I called the front desk. I am here for 5 nights. It is a combination of two reservations: the first one I made on my own for two nights, and the second reservation was made through the TA for three nights. So bascially, I should get three Opt out credits. I"m not looking for four, and I'm not looking for five. I'm looking for what I am entitled to, which would be one for the first reservation and two for the second. Total of $30 (or three )
[/QUOTE]

They've gotten rooms for me in the past called "Agency Exclusives". NEVER EVER once did they ever say anything about a convention rate. AND to top it off, the rate I just paid for this last stay was quite high.....certainly not what I think a convention rate would be.

Just a FYI on how agency exclusives work.....

Some travel agencies guarantee they will sell a certain number of rooms during a designated time period, similar to a reserved room block for a convention. The travel agency is responsible for the room costs in their contract, even if they don’t sell out their rooms to their clients or a client cancels at the last minute. Many agencies aren’t willing to take this risk, that’s why these agencies are few and far between.

I get that you didn’t know that an agency exclusive is a convention rate. I didn’t know the first few times I booked an agency exclusive either. I just knew that I was booking at a great price. But it kind of sounds like you’re miffed at the TA you used over this. That’s what I don’t understand. Would you not have booked with them if they said it was a convention rate? :confused3

And to your last point, it does seem to be getting harder to find great deals these days, even with an agency exclusive. It’s just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter