Help me pick the best UY & resort for our family of 5!

I knew about the 8 months, we are ok to wait it out for the right contract for us. What do you consider to be the lower end of average for SSR?
Here are 4 from the last 2 days for SSR

200 points $100pp
170 points $105pp
120 points $95pp
100 points $90pp

I figured I will bid in the lower end so around $90-95 if I decide to stick firm and not accept a counter. Maybe $88 if I am willing to respond to a counteroffer.

That is all subject to change when I start tracking both SSR and BLT recorded deeds every day for about a month before I start placing offers.

Here are 4 from the last 2 days for SSR

200 points $100pp
170 points $105pp
120 points $95pp
100 points $90pp

I figured I will bid in the lower end so around $90-95 if I decide to stick firm and not accept a counter. Maybe $88 if I am willing to respond to a counteroffer.

That is all subject to change when I start tracking both SSR and BLT recorded deeds every day for about a month before I start placing offers.
It's surprising to me that the 100 pt contract went for less pp. Where are you tracking the deeds? I should probably do that instead of the ROFR thread since obviously they won't all be on there.

It's overblown until you actually are affected. 2 immediate family members deaths just before trips meant having to change reservations. I cannot explain how helpful it was to not have to have another thing to think about as my UY's allowed lots of time to reschedule. If one can get the "free" insurance against last minute cancellations then why not do that. True that travel may change and it won't be the same but that doesn't automatically mean one should write off getting that benefit at the start.

Plus OP has travel times that are easily accommodate by a few UY's coupled with the part that UY doesn't tend to affect point pricing much if at all.

I don’t mean disrespect, but wouldn’t the emergency have had to happen in the 9th or 10th month of the use year to cause any meaningful trouble for DVC points (not be bankable, not be subject to holding rules). And you can always hedge against an emergency by buying travel insurance or better yet renting out your confirmed reservation.

And I will just add that depending on being able to bank is itself somewhat risky… DVC could always suspend it. They’ve suspended borrowing before.

It's surprising to me that the 100 pt contract went for less pp. Where are you tracking the deeds? I should probably do that instead of the ROFR thread since obviously they won't all be on there.
Don’t forget that the 100 point contract may have been stripped of points - you just can’t tell from the recorded deeds. It does however give you a decent feel for the average price over a period of time. Personally, I would always look for a fully loaded contract (double points with no dues) as they tend to be cheaper on a ‘per point’ basis

Don’t forget that the 100 point contract may have been stripped of points - you just can’t tell from the recorded deeds. It does however give you a decent feel for the average price over a period of time. Personally, I would always look for a fully loaded contract (double points with no dues) as they tend to be cheaper on a ‘per point’ basis
Yes good point, that's where the ROFR thread is great, you get all that info.

Yes I've definitely been looking at prices and the ROFR threads. I've been using DVCforless, i think it's an aggregate of all listings across multiple brokers. Right now I'm trying to decide if we should do a 60/40 or 70/30 split between two contracts. I also watching the availability that's about to roll around for early Dec at CCV. If we only want to do a long weekend and enjoy the decor, early December is a much better time to do that than Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't think we'll ever go at Christmas, I follow Tom Bricker @disneytouristblog and the crowd levels are wild this week.
For me it's all about what I see 7 months out. June looks pretty open, so SSR points would go a lot further. Early December won't truly be known until spring, but I plan on watching it to see what it looks like. One thing I'm noticing with CCV is that the 1 bedrooms get picked up last. Obviously everyone wants the studio b/c it's half the points and sleeps the same amount of people. Then the two bedrooms go. We're in a weird spot as a family where we can easily fit right now in a 5 person studio, but then in a few years when we want a 1 bedroom, those resorts get much more pricey points wise.
If it helps your decision making, the first two weeks of December are pretty much the busiest weeks for DVC, and therefore hardest to book. Early December is more difficult to book than Thanksgiving or Christmas weeks. This is because the points are so low (more appealing).

I like using this site to see what availability looks like for each resort during every week of the year: year:https://www.dvchelp.com/page/copper-creek-villas-cabins-availability-charts

I did for about 20 mins and gave up, kept getting no results for dates I put in.
Also tried here:
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp
kept getting an error message telling me they couldn't help me right now and to contact admin.

OK I've got something finally, but it's a lot to go through. Are you drilling down to specific resorts via the site, or just using the 'find' option and clicking through?

Last edited:
If it helps your decision making, the first two weeks of December are pretty much the busiest weeks for DVC, and therefore hardest to book. Early December is more difficult to book than Thanksgiving or Christmas weeks. This is because the points are so low (more appealing).

I like using this site to see what availability looks like for each resort during every week of the year: year:https://www.dvchelp.com/page/copper-creek-villas-cabins-availability-charts
Ah, I didn't realize that, I just assumed the two holidays b/c of school. That changes things somewhat I guess.

Make sure the box on the left for records search is highlighted.

Hit accept.

check the box not a robot.

Select advanced official records.

Select advanced document search.

select the date range you want to search.

Document type is deed.

Legal remarks you can enter Disney or a specific resort.

I did for about 20 mins and gave up, kept getting no results for dates I put in.
Also tried here:
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/docSearch.jsp
kept getting an error message telling me they couldn't help me right now and to contact admin.

OK I've got something finally, but it's a lot to go through. Are you drilling down to specific resorts via the site, or just using the 'find' option and clicking through?
I usually check for a specific resort.

I don’t mean disrespect, but wouldn’t the emergency have had to happen in the 9th or 10th month of the use year to cause any meaningful trouble for DVC points (not be bankable, not be subject to holding rules). And you can always hedge against an emergency by buying travel insurance or better yet renting out your confirmed reservation.

And I will just add that depending on being able to bank is itself somewhat risky… DVC could always suspend it. They’ve suspended borrowing before.
Holding happens when you cancel less than 31 days before check in so that can happen anytime of the UY. Banking is available up thru the 8th month but you are making an assumption the points were bankable. They might have been banked or borrowed or both.
Sure one can purchase insurance however if you're just purchasing, have typical times you travel and can find a contract that works to give you what is described as free insurance that gives you time to figure out what to do after a late cancellation then I'd ask why wouldn't one do that? Why recommend to ignore it? That gets back to it won't matter to you until you have something happen and nobody can predict who that might happen with.

DVC suspending banking isn't much of a risk IMO. They've changed it once but any changes to banking will likely have a longer notice than would apply to the situation.

Like the $80 to 85 bids on SSR contracts or the $120 bids on BLT contracts.

I might have to rethink that on BLT. 3 deeds posted today, and the point price was $125 on 2 of them and $120 on the third.
I think it depends on how badly someone wants that contract, and if they know how desirable the type of contracts are that they are going for. Of course, some people just go straight to low bid no matter what the contract is because they already have a lot of points, they just want more for cheap.

Now, if I can get nearly double the amount of points at SSR than I can at CCV (ROFR shows someone got 200 pts for close to $16,500 at SSR, someone else got 110 for near $16,000 at CCV), that might sway us. It still has 30 years on it, my oldest will be 40 by then and I'll be 75, so 30 years of more points (which I know is more MFs) will get us some really nice stays over that time period.
No time to read the rest of the replies, but you can absolutely get more points at SSR for cheap! I have 250 points, paid $80pp. Someone bought 250 points at CCV in October of this year and paid $140pp.

Like the $80 to 85 bids on SSR contracts or the $120 bids on BLT contracts.

I might have to rethink that on BLT. 3 deeds posted today, and the point price was $125 on 2 of them and $120 on the third.
$125 for BLT is pretty amazing. Because it has low annual dues and 20% more years remaining than SSR (36 vs 30), the cost per point per year for $125 BLT is something like $11.10, compared to $10.80 per point per year for $80 SSR.

IMO when you can get a desirable home resort like that, short walk to MK, low dues, extra bathroom in the 1- and 2-bedrooms, long expiry, for that little over SSR, it talks me into it over SSR.

$125 for BLT is pretty amazing. Because it has low annual dues and 20% more years remaining than SSR (36 vs 30), the cost per point per year for $125 BLT is something like $11.10, compared to $10.80 per point per year for $80 SSR.

IMO when you can get a desirable home resort like that, short walk to MK, low dues, extra bathroom in the 1- and 2-bedrooms, long expiry, for that little over SSR, it talks me into it over SSR.
My inittial offer was on 4 different BLT contracts last March. I offered what ultimately was a fair and accurate price but did not even receive a counter. I believe those contracts sold months later for less than my offer.

I wanted a contract to use for an August trip so moved to SSR and bought a contract. We used those points to book a 1 bedroom at BLT about 3or 4 months out.

I still have not decided if I want to buy another SSR contract or a second contract at BLT. There are positive and negative reasons for either.

Last edited:
My inittial offer was on 4 different BLT contracts last March. I offered what ultimately was a fair and accurate price but did not even receive a counter. I believe those contracts sold months later for less than my offer.

I wanted a contract to use for an August trip so moved to SSR and bought a contract.

I still have not decided if I want to buy another SSR contract or a second contract at BLT. There are positive and negative reasons for either.
Imo BLT is better if you’re utilizing park days on every trip. We won’t be doing that. We just discussed buying pixie and forgoing weekends, so that would mean more resort time.

Imo BLT is better if you’re utilizing park days on every trip. We won’t be doing that. We just discussed buying pixie and forgoing weekends, so that would mean more resort time.

I originally thought this purchase would be for my wife and I to go at the end of January every year and have limited park time. SSR would be perfect for that.

My daughter and granddaughter decided they want to go to Disney, so we changed to August trips for now. I think for the next 10 years or so that will be our trip and so I will try to book close to a park but after that since we would have been to the parks so often and my granddaughter will be older, I am not sure that will be as essential.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter