• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Residence Inn or Hyatt House???

tx_rach

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We are heading to Disneyland next week and I am still torn on which hotel to go with! I have reservations at both Hyatt House and Residence Inn Convention Center. We are a family of 5, with 3 teenagers. We lived in the area for many years, but moved away and this is our first trip back to Disneyland as out-of-towners, so lots of visits to the parks but have never stayed in a hotel nearby. Any one you prefer? Or one you would shy away from? Thanks!!

I’m not sure about Hyatt House, but Residence Inn has a really nice rooftop deck with a pool, fire pits with seating, and a huge hot tub. We always stay at the Residence Inn or Courtyard when we don’t stay onsite. More often the Residence Inn than the Courtyard since the Courtyard’s prices have become close to staying onsite. The rooms are large and clean. There’s a bar in the lobby. The free breakfast always has a good spread and the space for getting the breakfast is large with plenty of seating (I hate super squished and crowded breakfast buffets). There’s a Coffee Bean on the corner if that’s your preference. It’s also one less street to cross which can make a difference with time on the walk.

I’m not sure about Hyatt House, but Residence Inn has a really nice rooftop deck with a pool, fire pits with seating, and a huge hot tub. We always stay at the Residence Inn or Courtyard when we don’t stay onsite. More often the Residence Inn than the Courtyard since the Courtyard’s prices have become close to staying onsite. The rooms are large and clean. There’s a bar in the lobby. The free breakfast always has a good spread and the space for getting the breakfast is large with plenty of seating (I hate super squished and crowded breakfast buffets). There’s a Coffee Bean on the corner if that’s your preference. It’s also one less street to cross which can make a difference with time on the walk.
Thank you!!

The Residence Inn is nicer and would absolutely be my recommendation if the prices were similar. It's pretty much better in every metric (room quality, breakfast quality, location, etc) so it only makes sense to go with the Hyatt House if you need the Hyatt points or elite night credits.

Normally, the Hyatt House is quite a bit cheaper than the Residence Inn but the Hyatt House price seems elevated for the remainder of the year.

At the Hyatt House right now. Room is pretty standard size. Clean. Modern-ish. Nice walk in shower, but a little low with pressure. Breakfast this morning was quite good. Had eggs, sausage, tots. DW enjoyed the waffles. Best of all the breakfast area is huge.

We stayed at Hyatt House in 2019 and liked it. The breakfast was good, nice pool, convenient guest laundry, clean room, comfortable beds, fireworks view in our park-facing room, 20 minute walk. The Walgreens and Starbucks attached to the lobby were super convenient.

We've stayed at Hyatt House once and didn't care for it. The room was dark (we had a room with a bunkbed) and the ceiling/floors were pretty thin. The family above us must have had smaller kids that they would let run back and forth during the day, including early mornings and into the late night. I'm not sure how the Residence Inn is, but just wanted to make a note of that. The older hotels on Harbor have that benefit, they're much better insulated than the newer hotels though might not offer as many amenities.

The Hyatt House did have a huge plus because they offered bacon with their breakfast. That almost made up for only getting 4 hours of sleep each night...almost.

We've stayed at Hyatt House once and didn't care for it. The room was dark (we had a room with a bunkbed) and the ceiling/floors were pretty thin. The family above us must have had smaller kids that they would let run back and forth during the day, including early mornings and into the late night. I'm not sure how the Residence Inn is, but just wanted to make a note of that. The older hotels on Harbor have that benefit, they're much better insulated than the newer hotels though might not offer as many amenities.

The Hyatt House did have a huge plus because they offered bacon with their breakfast. That almost made up for only getting 4 hours of sleep each night...almost.

They don't always have bacon. Like most other hotels in the area, the meat item alternates and can be bacon some days, sausages on other days, etc. I agree that the walls at the Hyatt House are thin and the Residence Inn should be better in this regard. I've stayed in a king room at the Hyatt House that was dark but also a couple of 2 queen kitchen suites that were fine in terms of lighting. But I would still rank the most basic room at the Residence Inn a little bit above the kitchen suites at the Hyatt House.

The Residence Inn rooms are very quiet. My husband and I joke that, if you never went to breakfast or the pool, it would feel like you’re one of maybe 15 people staying in the hotel even when it’s sold out. It’s impressively quiet. And we’ve stayed there 5-10 times per year since it was built so I don’t think we are just getting lucky on the rooms.

At the Hyatt House right now. Room is pretty standard size. Clean. Modern-ish. Nice walk in shower, but a little low with pressure. Breakfast this morning was quite good. Had eggs, sausage, tots. DW enjoyed the waffles. Best of all the breakfast area is huge.
Replying to myself to provide and end of trip update...

We got some new neighbors part way through the trip. They were noisy. We were in a room with a connecting door, and it sounded like we were in the same room as them. Breakfast continued to be good, but sadly no bacon (sausage every day).

We did open to close at DL & DCA on Friday. Saturday we opened DCA, hopped to DL to redeem a LL or two, back to the Hyatt for a nap, then back to DL to close. Sunday we did Downtown Disney in the morning, roped dropped Trader Sams, back to the Hyatt for a nap, then OggieBoogie Bash for the night. We have decided we definately want to stay somewhere closer next time. Two round trip walks per day between the hotel and parks gets old.

We ate at Storytellers in the GC one day. Would love to use our DVC points to stay there, but it's a tough get at 7 months. Hopefully the new DVC tower at the DL Hotel will be a little easier.

I stayed at Hyatt House for Touch of Disney event before things reopened and it was the worst stay I've ever had in Anaheim. Walls are paper thin , refusal to move rooms even though the hotel was 75% empty , and just was overpriced.

I can overlook much of that but the fact I could hear every conversation through he walls with my TV on loud to try and send a hint , I'll never go back.

We stayed at the RI and found it very quiet. We were the last room on the hall mind you with only one of the suites to our immediate left. No bacon at the buffet but a different type of sausage - lots of mickey waffle makers though and the layout is functional, and large plus nobody batted an eye if you wanted to take a plate of food up to your room.
I would definitely stay at the RI again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter