HELP..Thanksgiving..Need diabetic side dishes

The Mystery Machine

Sunrise at my house. :+)
Just got off the phone with my DH's cousin. We are going to be hosting T-Day dinner for his family. His cousin said we need some diabetic dishes since 3 of the guests are diabetic, DH's grandpa who is 95, his uncle who is 67, his mom who is 63.

This was sprung on me, but I don't mind. It will probably be the only time his 'extended' family and us will be together, so I really want to add some special dishes for those sugar challenged folks. Thanks!

We usually have some kind of jello mold using sugar free jello. Remember to use fruit packed in pineapple juice instead of syrup. If the recipe includes either cream cheese or sour cream, use the "lite" stuff (neufchatel) and plain yogurt - as they're probably watching their fat intake as well as carbs. Most people tend to plan their regimen to include some of the typical extras - so it shouldn't be too bad.

Instead of candied sweet potatoes - or in addition to - you might have baked sweet potatoes (we serve them with cinnamon & sugar/Equal), or something like FuFu. For the FuFu, cut out the sugar in the recipe, cut it in half, or simply substitute Equal since you won't be cooking it at that point.

We usually have at least one plain vegetable in addition to the green bean casserole, such as cooked carrots. Carrots are kind of sweet on their own. My mother nukes the carrots & puts a little ginger in the water to give them a little extra flavor.

If you serve garden salad, make sure you have a low-sugar type dressing (or plain wine vinegar & oil) available. Watch the "Lite" dressings, though - the way they get them low in fat is to increase the sugar!

I guess it depends on the people you are having. Some will eat "regular" food & da** the consequences. (You might as well not bother commenting if this is the case - they know what they're doing.) Some might "taste" the regulars, but appreciate something specifically for them. Some might not want attention draw to their "difference" - in which case offering 2 kinds of sweet potatoes or 2 veggies, etc. with a simple, brief explanation of the dishes might be a good idea.

Dessert is the hardest. You can get good sugar free vanilla ice cream. Sugar free apple or cherry pies are available at many bakeries. (Skip s/f pumpkin, though - they're usually awful.)

Oh, thank you piratesmate!! I was thinking jello parfaits BUT a jello mold is certainly my solution! You hit the nail right on the head when you said watching fat intake! I know for a fact my DH's grandpa is, the uncle and his mom not as much. Thanks for the pumpkin pie tip. This is very helpful, thanks!

carbos......so do the brocolli.......a spring salad.....stuff like that.......and also for the last eight years, I have been making chocolate cream pie........I use jello sugar free cook and serve pie mix......2% milk or skim......and I do it in the microwave and pour into a pie shell........also we use either cool whip free.......or real whipping cream with no sugar in it......remember they are allowed some different surprises too.......usually a diabetic will know what they can have to eat by that meal time...depending on what their test was for that morning.......I always do at least four or five veggies......and the salad......so every one can enjoy.....
some veggies that are sugar are.......carrots......corn.....peas......things like that......

An absolutely HUGE relish tray... have it out before, during and after dinner. Make it colorful, inviting and available. This one thing saves me from running out to inject more insulin to cover extra carbs... Hate to admit it, but those candied yams get me everytime!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter