Help with a week in LA: museums, transportation, etc.

DLlovr

Earning My Ears
I will be spending a week in May visiting museums in the area (Getty, LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits, MAYBE HOPEFULLY squeeze in a DL day...).
I'm hoping to NOT have to rent a car, so would public transportation and/or Uber be a realistic possibility?
(I have no concept of how long it takes to get around various areas of LA.)
I'm hoping to stay in a hotel near the Getty (perhaps Hotel Angeleno?).
Also, would LAX be the best airport to travel to/from? I usually use Orange County/John Wayne airport when traveling to DL.

Thank you so much for any advice/recommendations!

LAX or even Burbank airport.

Hmmm. It would be very expensive to Uber everywhere, but you could probably do it. As you might know, L.A. is pretty sprawling plus the traffic is bad, so Uber/taxi costs could really add up. Public transportation isn't really feasible for most destinations. The Getty is a little secluded, so I wonder about getting an Uber to pick you up from there.

The Science Center with the space shuttle is pretty great, and there's the Getty Villa in Malibu as well as the main one. Have fun!

Rent a car, you need one here if you're planning to get around much.

My personal suggestion is to stay outside la (Anaheim, Irvine, etc...) and drive in, then you won't have to pay to park plus you can go wherever you want... Food, entertainment, etc... All are much easier with a car.

You could stay at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. If you have AAA they take that for the discount. And the QM is also fun to tour as well. I have lived in Southern Ca most of my life, and I would rent a car and use the map app to get around.

Here are some site you can keep your eye on for discounts on things you want to do

Travelzoo.com

Livingsocial.com

Groupon.com

Great way to find things for a little cheaper even places to eat. Just type in the city

You could probably use a combination of Uber/bus. I'm sure the Getty is a popular Uber destination and if your hotel is along Wilshire you could easily catch a bus to LACMA and the Tar Pits (The excellent Petersen Automotive Museum is right next door, as well).

For the places you are considering, it will be cheaper to rent a car than use Uber, and mass transit would be very cumbersome and time consuming. I rented a compact for $28/day inc. taxes at LAX for a few days a couple weeks ago, I've pretty much always found my rental prices to be about the same there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter