HELP with Autotrain

Lsbutler2000

Earning My Ears
I was interested in obtaining information on the auto train fares. I wanted to take the AutoTrain out of VA to FL for my disney honeymoon.

Their system wont let us book just one way though. We wanted to take it there and then we were going to drive back....anyone have a clue on the rate (2 adults)?

I assume you are trying to book at http://www.amtrak.com

You should be able to book a one-way fare with no problems. From the Amtrak.com start page, fill in Lorton, Virginia and Sanford, Florida in the box to the right of the screen. Enter a travel date for departure and number of guests, but leave the return date blank.

If you continue to have problems, post again or PM me.

I just plugged in my one-way Sanford to Lorton autotrain date in August on a Friday and the total was almost $800 includn the family sleeper car. The train tickets were roughly $300 but the sleeper car was almost $500 FOR JUST ONE NIGHT! This is the most expensive overnight my family of 4 will have taken in some time. If this is the one-way fare it must be incredible what the round trip costs.

When looking at AutoTrain prices, you have to remember that a) the cost to carry your car is included in the 'accommodations' price and b) the price includes dinner and breakfast for the four of you. If you are a AAA member you can save about a few dollars off the cost of the fare.

Originally posted by Threehearts
I just plugged in my one-way Sanford to Lorton autotrain date in August on a Friday and the total was almost $800 includn the family sleeper car.

There is sometimes a large fare difference depending on what day of the week you travel. For instance, the (2 adults/2 <16 kids, Car, Family Bedroom) $874 Friday fare is about $770 for a Tuesday. Other factors drving the price include how far in advance you buy the tickets (earlier the better) and how many reservations have already been made for that train. Keep checking and playing with different travel dates and different types of accomodations (ie, coach, or 2 Standard rooms vs. the Family Bedroom) for the best price.

Yes, it was about $1600 for a round trip in a family bedroom when we went May 2001.

Yes, it was about $1600 for a round trip in a family bedroom when we went May 2001. Remember, you'll save the price of a rental car on the other end so factor that in also.

If you are trying to use the 800# when it asks if you want to make a reservation through their automated system, wait till they give the option to talk to a customer service representative. You will get a live person to help you thru the reservation.

I tried to book online and it didn't go through. I called the 800# and made sure there was no reservation booked in my name and then I booked it through them. When they tried to put my credit card number through it wouldn't take it and said to use another card. I knew I had enough credit on it so she tried it again to see if something had just messed up. Nope, still a no go. She said she would hold the ressies till the 1st of March and gave me my ressie # so I could call back when I got it staightened out. I called my card 800# and talked to a rep. who told me that there is a special block on accounts for large amount to help keep large fraudulent charges from posting. He took the block off temporarily so I could call Amtrak back and pay. He also said that there had been 3 attempts for the cost of my ressie. Apparently, that is why the original ressie online didn't go through and the other 2 where when I called in.

Good Luck and best wishes for your wedding and honeymoon.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter