Help with ocean view stateroom selection for Alaska

MinnieMomMe

Earning My Ears
We've decided to sail Alaska June 11, 2018 and could use some help with stateroom selection. We typically book verandahs but they are crazy pricey for Alaska so thought we'd try ocean view. What's left is cat 9C aft/forward or cat 9B GTY for $70 more. I put on hold the last aft cat 9C, stateroom 2618 which is right across from the aft elevators so a good location but possibly a little noisy as it's below the kitchen and above the gangway. There are still some staterooms available in the FWD part of the ship including a couple that may be slightly larger because of the angle of the front of the ship which is great, but I'm wondering if the porthole is angled will it be worse viewing and the location is way FWD so not as convenient. Our third option is to go with cat 9B GTY to be midship. Most of these cabins seem pretty good although we would not be able to choose the exact cabin we would get. There's also (although slim) the possibility of getting an upgrade.
We don't have any problems with sea sickness, we've sailed GTY before and haven't had a "bad" cabin yet, but it's always nice to be able to choose where you will be on board. We are a family of four with two boys 17 and 15.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

I have a personal opinion, which may be disagreed upon by some :) that in Alaska, you need to either go Interior or Balcony - no in-between. Both have their advantages. The sun comes up at an UNGODLY hour in Alaska (e.g. 2:30-3:00 am) so with a window, you're going to wake up earlier than you'd like. So if you do get woken up that early, it's good to have a balcony where you can at least go outside and look at the pretty scenery, esp. if you still have children asleep. With an interior room, you may have a chance of sleeping a little later. We did do Alaska with an oceanview/no balcony and it just wasn't a good enough view - we always went outside to the public decks. So IMHO, it's better to either go down to interior and use the public decks for viewing or spend the $$ for a balcony knowing you'll get the best view (but also knowing that you'll be awake at the crack of dawn every day due to the light factor).

We've decided to sail Alaska June 11, 2018 and could use some help with stateroom selection. We typically book verandahs but they are crazy pricey for Alaska so thought we'd try ocean view. What's left is cat 9C aft/forward or cat 9B GTY for $70 more. I put on hold the last aft cat 9C, stateroom 2618 which is right across from the aft elevators so a good location but possibly a little noisy as it's below the kitchen and above the gangway. There are still some staterooms available in the FWD part of the ship including a couple that may be slightly larger because of the angle of the front of the ship which is great, but I'm wondering if the porthole is angled will it be worse viewing and the location is way FWD so not as convenient. Our third option is to go with cat 9B GTY to be midship. Most of these cabins seem pretty good although we would not be able to choose the exact cabin we would get. There's also (although slim) the possibility of getting an upgrade.
We don't have any problems with sea sickness, we've sailed GTY before and haven't had a "bad" cabin yet, but it's always nice to be able to choose where you will be on board. We are a family of four with two boys 17 and 15.
We almost always do a 9C GTY, and most times we've been assigned a 9B. As to kitchen noise - that's primarily during the daytime/evening hours. There isn't usually that much activity in the kitchens late at night (when you'd be sleeping.

We did the ocean view on our Alaskan cruise this summer. Couldn't afford the huge prices on a verandah.
We were in room 2600 and thought it was great. It was convenient to get to the dining rooms and not too far from the elevator.
Also convenient to get off the ship. When we wanted to view scenery we just went to a different deck. We spent most of the Endicott Arm day up on the top deck to take in the amazing views. We never heard any noise above us in room 2600. Would happily book it again on the Wonder.

I would probably do the 9B GTY to get midship, there are only a few 9B rooms that sleep 4 (most sleep 3), so you may well go up to a 9A or a verandah if all the rooms that sleep 4 are gone.

Having said that, we were very happy with our 9C room for Alaska last summer, rm 2116 which is right by the aft elevators on the port side. There was no noise from the elevators. You could feel some vibration from the engines, but it wasn't too bad. I did feel that 2118/2618 would be as far aft as I'd like to be on deck 2. Not sure what your noise would be like above. The port side was perfect as it was under the promenade lounge walkway, didn't hear anything from above us.

We loved having an oceanview for Alaska, and it is a short walk up to deck 4 to go outside!

The sun comes up at an UNGODLY hour in Alaska (e.g. 2:30-3:00 am) so with a window, you're going to wake up earlier than you'd like.

Just close the curtains. The curtains are dark dark dark. If you're really concerned about gaps, take some clothes pins and hook them together. Problem solved. :)

We had an oceanview room and LOVED it. If I had it to do all over again (and I hope I do), I will literally book the same 9B midship oceanview room on deck 2 all over again. In fact, we loved the room so much we booked it again for next year on the Magic in Europe.

Unless it was the only way I could afford it, I wouldn't go inside. And honestly, I wouldn't go balcony either. I think it's overpriced. I loved sitting on the sofa and watching the world go by through the window. Warm and cozy!

9B GTY is my vote.

I have a personal opinion, which may be disagreed upon by some :) that in Alaska, you need to either go Interior or Balcony - no in-between. Both have their advantages. The sun comes up at an UNGODLY hour in Alaska (e.g. 2:30-3:00 am) so with a window, you're going to wake up earlier than you'd like. So if you do get woken up that early, it's good to have a balcony where you can at least go outside and look at the pretty scenery...
But have you ever sailed to Alaska on the Disney Wonder? All the reports that I've read describe the porthole curtains as shutting out the light quite effectively. The DCL Alaska prices for any type of verandah are all $10,000+ for just 2 passengers for 2018- too rich for my blood. We still want a view when we're relaxing in our stateroom, though, so a porthole seems like a nice middle ground.

Last edited:

But have you ever sailed to Alaska on the Disney Wonder? All the reports that I've read describe the porthole curtains as shutting out the light quite effectively. The DCL Alaska prices for any type of verandah are all $10,000+ for just 2 passengers for 2018- too rich for my blood. We still want a view when we're relaxing in our stateroom, though, so a porthole seems like a nice middle ground.

Nope! We were on Norwegian. Our curtains were good, too, but just that little sliver of light was enough to wake me. Like I said, just my personal opinion, but I'd either go down to interior or up to balcony should we do Alaska again.

We sailed Alaska with a porthole in July this year. The curtains were DEFINITELY good enough to block the sun. I had two kids sleeping right near the porthole and there was not a peep of light until I opened the curtains. (Although if you're super paranoid, you can bring a clothespin or two!) The porthole worked out beautifully for us. I spent some sea days outside Cove Cafe with a blanket, a hot drink and a book -- it was delightful! We never once thought, "wow, wish we had a verandah!" Spend that money on excursions! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your responses!! As much as I would love a verandah, it will cost us $3400 more than an ocean view, and that's just too hard for me to justify (that could cover the cost of a lot of excursions!). Sadly, I spent a good portion of last night researching other cruise lines, but I'm not quite ready to jump ship from DCL just yet. I'm not concerned about the light in the cabin. We sailed the Iceland/Norway cruise in 2016 and there were days where we had 24 hr sunlight. We all brought eye masks and slept great!! We had a verandah and we hardly used it as it was very cold. DH doesn't care too much for crowds. So for Alaska, I think we'll appreciate the ability to sit and look out from the coziness of our cabin when we need it, but I imagine we'll head up top for the really good stuff.

So based on all of your very helpful responses, I'm leaning towards the 9B GTY. I'm interested to know which cabins in 9B can accommodate four people. An upgrade (though unexpected) would be awesome. Anyone know if this info is available? Also, has anyone had any luck upgrading at the port for Alaska? Wouldn't hurt to ask, and if it doesn't happen...I'm just happy to be on the ship!!

go for the guarantee room!! Cat 9B is midship deck 2. You could be placed in a higher deck porthole room, or even a veranda.

We saw an Orca this year out of our porthole while changing for dinner. Last time we saw humpback whales as well.

Decks 4, 9 and 10 all have great views of Alaska - so yea, skip those outrageous veranda room rates!

Bring your binoculars!! In Endicott Arm we saw Mountain Goats with our Binoculars - with the naked eye they were just a teeny tiny white speck a long ways away. We used them every day. We each brought our own from home (since we have had them forever). At the Vancouver Terminal they were selling them - don't know the price or quality.

Thanks everyone for your responses!! As much as I would love a verandah, it will cost us $3400 more than an ocean view, and that's just too hard for me to justify (that could cover the cost of a lot of excursions!). Sadly, I spent a good portion of last night researching other cruise lines, but I'm not quite ready to jump ship from DCL just yet. I'm not concerned about the light in the cabin. We sailed the Iceland/Norway cruise in 2016 and there were days where we had 24 hr sunlight. We all brought eye masks and slept great!! We had a verandah and we hardly used it as it was very cold. DH doesn't care too much for crowds. So for Alaska, I think we'll appreciate the ability to sit and look out from the coziness of our cabin when we need it, but I imagine we'll head up top for the really good stuff.

So based on all of your very helpful responses, I'm leaning towards the 9B GTY. I'm interested to know which cabins in 9B can accommodate four people. An upgrade (though unexpected) would be awesome. Anyone know if this info is available? Also, has anyone had any luck upgrading at the port for Alaska? Wouldn't hurt to ask, and if it doesn't happen...I'm just happy to be on the ship!!
We're a party of 4 and have looked and the only 9B's that sleep 4 that come up for me are 2104 and 2604...I'd assume there are more, but no idea what they might be.

We're a party of 4 and have looked and the only 9B's that sleep 4 that come up for me are 2104 and 2604...I'd assume there are more, but no idea what they might be.
Lol. I spent the morning looking at every single Wonder sailing to see what 4-person 9B cabins came up, and I found the same cabins 2104 and 2604, either of which I would be perfectly happy with. I agree there are probably more but they remain a mystery.
I'm on hold with DCL right now. I will be booking the 9B GTY. Thanks!!!

Just chiming in to say that when we sailed Alaska on DCL in 2013, we stayed two rooms away from the 9C you're looking at in 2614. We loved it. We spent lots of time on the public decks and have never sailed with a verandah in five cruises. Maybe we don't know what we're missing, but it's never been a big deal. We were definitely happy being near those aft elevators, too :)

I can't really help with your room decision but just wanted to say hi because we're on the same cruise. We're in a 9A forward on deck 6, first time in an oceanview, we normally are always in insides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter