I remember planning my first trip in 2012. I didn't know anything about WDW except vague memories from a 1994 trip as a kid. I knew it was very expensive, so I spent a lot of time researching including buying a guide book and Google searching (which lead me here). I'm always surprised to hear stories of people who don't do a little research into their vacations. Maybe it's a personality thing.

I’m a planner, especially when going somewhere that is unfamiliar to me. The only time I don’t plan much is a beach vacation, but then, I’m familiar with the beach towns I go to. I understand not expecting people to know all the ins and outs of Disney if they are a newbie, but the onus is on them to research it at least a little.

Has anyone read the reviews on Trip Advisor lately? For some reason my husband pulled it up. Pages of horrible reviews from this month alone-mainly about how rigid the cast members are about mask wearing (lots of scolding and yelling via megaphones), but also about pricing, bad service, and capacity seeming much higher than 35% but still so many things closed or limited. Doesn’t sound fun. We are going in October so hopefully it will improve. Just curious if anyone has thoughts...we are regulars but our last visit was pre-covid.
If you read reviews here, you'll see you have to be up early, at the parks early, then gone mid-day if you want to maximize your experience. We've been five times since August and think we have a pretty good pulse on how it is currently. I've been very vocal about holding WDW to a higher standard and them not delivering on a few fronts during this time. CMs have to put safety first right now, we cannot hold that against them. I haven't heard anyone yelled at over megaphone, but I can say the amount of people not wearing a mask correctly or following rules is just an insane amount that Disney cannot keep up with. Full price for a less than experience is my largest gripe. No FP, no extra hours, no parades, no fireworks, limited everything including transportation, entertainment, dining, lodging, and yes, "magic" too. October could be a different story though so sit tight.

Everyone should just drop what they think 35% should look like because it doesn't look like that. It will look and feel like a normal day most of the time.

Last edited:
I’m a planner, especially when going somewhere that is unfamiliar to me. The only time I don’t plan much is a beach vacation, but then, I’m familiar with the beach towns I go to. I understand not expecting people to know all the ins and outs of Disney if they are a newbie, but the onus is on them to research it at least a little.

I'm going to Antigua in August, never been. I had to look up the exact location and learn how to spell it. You can bet I am going everything I can to plan accordingly.

Here now. Arrived on Tuesday. Spent the afternoon to closing at AK. Wonderful time with most guests leaving. Had a terrible dinner at the AK Rainforest Cafe. Waited forever for the food. Server came with a cracked glass of ice tea. Tea began to leak all over the table. Glass was completely empty by the time we got someone’s attention.

Wednesday at Epcot. We had a great lunch at San Angel, surprising I know. We booked to save us a wait into the pavilion. Was able to do and see everything. I came prepared to buy preferred parking each day. No need if you make it to rope drop. Our space was three rows behind preferred.

Thursday was MK. We were parked and headed to the ferry shortly after 7. Lots done in the morning before a LTT dinner. Hostess seemed a little annoyed when I insisted on eating at LTT not Golden Horseshoe. We promised ourselves not to get frustrated by others in terms of mask wearing/distancing, but it was very noticeable at MK. Crowds much more noticeable too. I’ve never had a bad encounter with a CM until Pirates. We are 4 fairly large adults. When we gave our party number we were surprised to be given one row. (Normally we were divided 2 and 2). I asked if we could have two rows and the CM said “ lady I work here and I know how many can fit, all of you go to row 5”. We could hardly move! My youngest daughter started to tear up. I think she was just surprised by the CM’s reaction. Next was Splash. The line is quite confusing until it gets closer to the ride. A lady jumped in line in front of us about 15 minutes of a 60 minute wait. I told her the start of the line began at the bridge. She turned around and barked at me with an “ I have a baby, you don’t have to be so fresh!” We decided after those two encounters to leave early.

Decided since we did so much on our first AK half day, to rest and get to the park later today until close. Coming from WA my kids are appreciating a relaxing pool morning in the sun. HS tomorrow before home.

Overall having a good time, but honestly surprised by attitudes and crowd levels. Lots of larger groups. We will not be returning to Disney until entrainment is back. My daughter joked on Soarin how that’s the only fireworks we will get this trip. They are definitely missed. This was a postponed 2020 birthday/graduation gift trip. I would not recommend that any once in a lifetime folks consider going until normalcy returns.
Lady I work here is a little wild, sheesh.

To your bolded point I think this is why we're seeing a spring crush and will into summer too. A lot of rescheduled trips going on. I saw so many Family Vacation shirts with 2020 crossed out and 2021 written below when we were there last week.

I remember planning my first trip in 2012. I didn't know anything about WDW except vague memories from a 1994 trip as a kid. I knew it was very expensive, so I spent a lot of time researching including buying a guide book and Google searching (which lead me here). I'm always surprised to hear stories of people who don't do a little research into their vacations. Maybe it's a personality thing.
Same, I went for the first time ever in 2018 and spent months researching. We still weren't always successful at doing some things, Slinky Dog 3 hour wait I'm looking at you, but we were able to score some great ADRs and FPs.

But I guess some like the thrill of buying a plane ticket and seeing what happens. 🤷‍♂️

But I guess some like the thrill of buying a plane ticket and seeing what happens. 🤷‍♂️

I'm always surprised to hear stories of people who don't do a little research into their vacations. Maybe it's a personality thing.

I am a super planner. Years ago I went on a trip with my (now) husband traveling out of the country. I had planned everything about our trip except one part - getting from the airport to our first stop, several hours away. I had every confirmation printed, folders, guidebooks, an itinerary. We landed, collected our luggage, and he led me toward the rental car area. It was packed. And then I learned he hadn't actually made a reservation. He figured we would play it by ear. If there were no cars - surprise! there were no cars! - we would figure it out. Part of the adventure! (We ended up having to take a train, bus and cab in the pouring rain. It was certainly an adventure but not the kind I typically seek.)

People definitely have different personalities with travel, and anything else. Some people do like the thrill of just seeing what happens. I feel bad for the kids in the case of the family headed to Disney with no tickets or park reservations.

What is tricky, too, is when groups of people with very different travel styles go to a place like Disney together! I am hoping for some recent feedback from folks who are there now or just back in that boat. The covid era must make this even more difficult. I am going soon and my super planner self is going to be surrounded by people who don't like lists or plans. I am just planning on hiding the lists and plans, but I would never go without them.

In my opinion, were not the normal ones. People on this board seem to think planning every detail of a WDW vacation is normal behavior. Before the pandemic, you could just show up, buy tickets and go to the park. That's how it should be.
My brother and sister in law took my nephew for 2 days at MK about four years ago when he was 3. They wouldn't let me tell them anything. By the end of the first day, he texts, hey, how much are those fast passes? LOL then he was all ears. I helped him get 3 FP for the other day, and they had a lot more fun. However, he couldn't ride PP, his favorite memory from childhood because the line was so long. We were going in March 2020 and spending 3 days introducing my nephew to the other 3 parks. This trip, my brother let me do all the planning, and I had FP for the big rides and everything all figured out. Unfortunately, the parks closed. So, while there's a learning curve to Disney World, planning always helps.

Disney springs on a Sunday afternoon? That’s our arrival day and have reservations for dinner. Wondering how crazy it will be if we go over around 4:30? Not worth it and we should change to a different dinner venue? We don’t mind a few crowds (and are all fully vaccinated) but don’t want to have to stand in line for every store (not just WOD) or every seat in a lounge. Pre-Covid would stop in a few places for a drink and generally just wander. Still possible? I have read that weekends are way busier but wondering if that is more Friday/Saturday. Also the Sunday we are going is Mother’s Day so perhaps that will affect things? Thanks.
This is a question that got lost in the shuffle. Does anyone have any recent experiences to share?

Last edited:
Disney springs on a Sunday afternoon? That’s our arrival day and have reservations for dinner. Wondering how crazy it will be if we go over around 4:30? Not worth it and we should change to a different dinner venue? We don’t mind a few crowds (and are all fully vaccinated) but don’t want to have to stand in line for every store (not just WOD) or every seat in a lounge. Pre-Covid would stop in a few places for a drink and generally just wander. Still possible? I have read that weekends are way busier but wondering if that is more Friday/Saturday. Also the Sunday we are going is Mother’s Day so perhaps that will affect things? Thanks.

This is a question that got lost in the shuffle. Does anyone have any recent experiences to share?
Around 4-5pm is when it seems to start getting really busy, and crowds increase throughout the night as the parks close. For my family it was not enjoyable to just wander around (like we normally would do). We basically went to our ADR and then left right after. Many of the smaller stores won't have waits, but any of the Disney shops and places like Lego, Coca Cola, etc will all have a wait. I'm not sure about just walking up to a lounge either. I think there are a few places where it may still be possible (like Jock Lindsay's, which doesn't take reservations), but definitely won't be as easy as pre-Covid. Hope that helps.

I’m guessing no but.....are any of the water features on at Epcot (the little splash pad things the kids run all over) They were on at Universal so we are hoping.

I talked to a coworker today who is a huge Disney fan. She said her trip two weeks ago wasn't great. She really missed the fireworks, parades and the stretching room at the Haunted Mansion. She also mentioned there were only 3-4 food choices at the quick service restaurants. Can anyone comment on that? Why so few?
The restaurants have abbreviated their offerings but it's not unbearable. I think where it got me was later in the day when food choices are slim and we noticed the resort had limited options. Our most recent day in MK and Epcot last week, food was plentiful and we had no cause for concern.

As far as "missing" things, yes I miss some things but this is so personal and subjective. I do miss fireworks but I don't miss the disaster of leaving the parks after the show. I liked FP+ but I really don't miss it and sort of hope it doesn't come back. I feel like our trips now can be much more flexible and enjoy less time on my phone looking for FP+ or having to change them. I was never a huge parade fan and I like the spontaneous cavalcades much more. I know some things may never come back and other things eventually will but for our family, the only thing I really need to go so we can enjoy our trips a little more are plexiglass and masks. The line markers can definitely stick around forever, I never was a fan of being a sardine.

Having gone myself, spoken to many people who have gone, and reading these comments, I can’t help but come back to the idea that someone’s expectations going in really affect their experience. If you go thinking 35% capacity means you’ll hardly see anybody and walk on to everything, then sorry- get a time machine and set it to late August 2020. If you go in realizing there will be crowds but generally suppressed and capped as to what’s to be expected generally, I think you’ll enjoy it a lot more.

Having gone myself, spoken to many people who have gone, and reading these comments, I can’t help but come back to the idea that someone’s expectations going in really affect their experience. If you go thinking 35% capacity means you’ll hardly see anybody and walk on to everything, then sorry- get a time machine and set it to late August 2020. If you go in realizing there will be crowds but generally suppressed and capped as to what’s to be expected generally, I think you’ll enjoy it a lot more.
100% agree. While 35% is low compared to pre-covid, because there are no shows/entertainment, character meet/greet reservation, etc, more of the guests are eating/riding rides/shopping and repeating since there's nothing else to do. What 35% equates to in numbers and what it feels like is 2 different things. We went in July/Aug 2020 and that was heaven. Visits as of late do "feel" like pre-covid even with lower crowds overall, but it's wonderful to get that energy back in the parks with life and vibrancy.

Has anyone gone to Epcot prior to opening? I see it opens at 11AM, but my daughter's nap time is 12. I am wondering if it actually opens earlier so we could get 2 hrs in before nap...
We were there this week...we got on line around 9:30..we were towards the front..they let some through temperature check around 9:50..they let us through the turnstiles at 10:09..we were at international gateway...we were able to do Test Track and Soarin almost before the 11:00 official opening.

I usually don't speak Disney with strangers but yesterday while standing in the line waiting to board our flight a mom insisted on striking up a conversation. She asked me and my husband if we were going to a park. We said yes, we have a park reservation for MK. "Park reservation?" Uggh, here we go.

Mind you there were 6 of them, ready to board for their magical vacation. Briefly explained that a reservation was required for each ticket AND the online availability calendar shows full and limited park availability for the next week. "I haven't bought tickets yet." This is why I don't speak Disney to people. It was about this time that the lady in front of me said, "just go to the hotel concierge and they will let you in." Yeah, good luck with that.

I have never seen so many clueless people as I did on our trip. We were standing outside of Docking Bay 7 waiting for our mobile order time. A woman walked up to a CM and asked where the line was. The CM told her she needed a mobile order. After helping the woman locate the app and walking through the whole process with her, the lady finally said “Wait, I don’t want to order food. I want to get in line for MFSR!”

This was one example of many I witnessed throughout the week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter