Anyone have a suggestion for Sun umbrellas you suggest? Both for Sun and heat, but distance too. Needs to be from Amazon 2 day shipping.

Really, any of the little portable spring loaded pop-out ones do good for shade, rain and distancing if necessary. I wouldn't recommend dark colors just because the sun will make the fabric hotter somewhat defeating the purpose of the shade. Nothing clear or semi clear either, just so you have a nice shading.

Dan

Anyone have a suggestion for Sun umbrellas you suggest? Both for Sun and heat, but distance too. Needs to be from Amazon 2 day shipping.
I got the Shinok brand off Amazon. They open and close easily, but pushing the ‘stem’ down after it closes takes some strength. I’m hoping it will get easier with use. It’s hard to get the Velcro strap around all the fabric once it’s closed and you’ll never get it back in its case, but it DOES block the sun. I even shone my iPhone flashlight down through it and I could not see it at all. I also took a walk in the sun and was completely in shade. The wrist strap is a nice size.

The FDJASGY brand looked nice with a much easier/bigger case, but it was a bit pricier and not many color options. I chose light pink and light green in the Shinok cause I figured the sun would reflect better off lighter colors. Green arrived in two days, pink took a week.

I would avoid ones that have just a tiny knob at the bottom as it seems like it would be hard to carry for hours. I wanted a full handle to grip.

Also regular umbrellas will help, but they aren’t made of anti UV material and you won’t have complete shade. I imagine you’ll feel hotter underneath them, too.

We have never done the rapid ride and it was so hot we decided a little wet would feel good - we had been told it wasn’t too bad as far as wetness since the water guns weren’t in use...that was not true. We got drenched. I mean, soaking wet hair, clothes completely dripping wet - my Daughter’s dress was damp 3 hours later. Not at all what we expected and looking at others getting off, I do not know why we were one of the only ones that this happened to. (Maybe it was because of our 2 Big & Tall guys?).

Sat 5/1: Departure Day. Checked out of hotel, had late breakfast and then went to a place called Amazing Animals (private animal sanctuary preserve 30 minutes away).
This happens to my DD and myself on rapid ride. We were between the 2 largest on the ride so we went over every rapid first and got hit by every wave. We were dripping wet.

How was the animal sanctuary? I think my DD would love it on one of our free days.

In my opinion the world showcase was not very busy. Most food stands had a queue of one or two parties or empty. Which was surprising.
We were in the world showcase today, too, and agree that it wasn't very busy. We even got a table in the shade near the Northern Bloom booth. We were surprised at the low wait times for many of the rides around 4:30.

This happens to my DD and myself on rapid ride. We were between the 2 largest on the ride so we went over every rapid first and got hit by every wave. We were dripping wet.

How was the animal sanctuary? I think my DD would love it on one of our free days.
We enjoyed the animal sanctuary - Amazing Animals in St Cloud. It is small, but the couple that owns it are very passionate about the animals and educating people about them. They book private tours so it’s just your family and they take you to each animal telling you about them and if it’s safe they allow you to hold, pet, and/or feed them (held a large python, pet and fed a capybara, pet and fed a couple sloths). It was small and the private tour was about 1.5 hours, It was something different and interesting.

DHS today-a bit of a frustrating morning as we had ticket and magic band issues that ate into a bunch of our “45 minute early” time. We did TOwer before park opening and that was a blast-I’d gotten a last minute ADR for Oga’s via touring plans for 9:15 which I quickly regretted but couldn’t find an open date to most fit too. DH and I let kids got so RNRC and we did the cantina and it was such a good choice. 3 drinks shared by 10 am-we arrived from west coast yesterday so this was 7 am for us. But DH loooooved it and it definitely turned our moods around. We loved ROTR and MMRR-and enjoyed being in the park at the end of the day with it almost empty. Great lunch at 50s, too!

Epcot tomorrow. DH really wants to check out Riviera and ride skyliner-would it make sense to Uber to RIV and ride the skyline?

What happened with Expedition Everest yesterday? Was down 6 hours… hope it’s nothing major! I’m going later this week :)

Here now and loving it! Flew in yesterday. Flights were fine albeit of course delayed. We had a driver meet us from TiffanyTowncars. Very professional, very helpful. One of those drivers that could answer anything but did not force conversation. Really recommend their service.

We went to MK yesterday after we got settled at the swan. Crowded but not crazy so. If you need 100% compliance with masks and social distancing this is not the time or place. Masks were pretty good overall. Social distancing has left the park. We don't really care as we are fine and enjoy chatting but could definitely see some people that were making comment and getting agitated because people wouldn't stay on the appropriate line.

Most of the lines seemed to be 10-15 minutes less than posted. HM and BTMRR were both walk-ons even though they were posted at 20 and 30 minutes. I did find the times posted by the touring plans app to undershoot the wait by about 5. So we started splitting the difference and were generally good.

Today is HS. Got up psyched myself up and these fat, over-forty fingers scored boarding group 7!!! So incredibly excited. Honestly this ride is the reason we came . . . well, that and celebrating our fifth anniversary. Finishing up to walk over from the swan and feeling some wonderful magic!

Thanks for the trip report! I'm disappointed to hear again and again that social distancing isn't enforced in the queues. For popular rides, I feel like people might be standing in line for 30-40 minutes next to other people. If you're ever next to a contagious person, that's a lot of exposure time.

Thanks to those of you who shared the tip on the portable UV umbrellas. I like the idea of opening them up in the queues to get some shade, with the added bonus that people can't get as close. I'm going to try that and see if that helps. Although I'm vaccinated, my kiddo isn't. I don't want her Disney souvenir to be COVID-19.

Here now! First bus from YC to MK arrived promptly at 6:45, got held until 7:00 at MK bus stop. That was good enough to put me 17th back from the entrance tapstyles at rope drop. In line for SDMT now. They are running empty trains so hope they start soon!

I got the Shinok brand off Amazon. They open and close easily, but pushing the ‘stem’ down after it closes takes some strength. I’m hoping it will get easier with use.

Regarding umbrellas - the automatic compact umbrella that I use in the rain is like this. It's really difficult to get the stem down after you close the umbrella.

After I close the umbrella to enter a building, I bend down and push the umbrella into the sidewalk to get the stem down. It probably looks weird to people watching me, but that is the easiest way I have found to get the stem down after closing the umbrella.

Do they allow strollers in the long lines that extend past normal waiting area? Normally we stroller park then hop in line. But I’m thinking my kids might do better in longer waits if in the stroller for a period of time in longer lines.

I went to MK yesterday. My first trip back to the parks since last feb. I am fully vaccinated, so it felt like a good time to get back, if just for an afternoon.
Started with lunch at The Wave, the Tables are nicely distanced, I felt pretty comfortable. You were allowed to take off your mask upon being seated.
walked to MK, no wait at the temperature tent or the entrance gate. It was HOT yesterday but breezy.
I found wait times pretty consistently 10-15 min under what the app reported, I rode Haunted mansion, Peter Pan, little mermaid, pirates and buzz light year. I had intended to also do people mover, but it was stopped both times I was in the area, so I skipped it.
I found mask compliance to be really good, especially considering how hot it was. I mobile ordered for aloha aisle before I got in the park for 3:30 and it worked really well. Finding a spot to be stationary to eat your dole whip is a bit of a challenge, but you can find a spot in Frontierland.
Social distancing was a little tricky, there’s a couple choke points in the parks, particularly by fantasyland/liberty square where it’s hard to stay away from people, but if you speed thru its okay. For the most part, the walkways were pretty clear. The lines were fine in practice, but the execution wasn’t great. I don’t know why standing on or near a sticker on the floor is so hard, but people really are not getting it. I had a few families riiiiiiight behind me. you can’t control the people behind you, but you at least can control the space in front of you.
The worst social distancing I found was in the stores, I was in the emporium, and it was pretty packed.
I didn’t use any Disney transportation, and my interaction with CM’s was limited, but overall it was a pretty nice day. I would suggest using disposable face masks, I used a cloth one that I use for the grocery store, and found it pretty oppressive after about 5 minutes. It’s also difficult to stay hydrated and comply with the mask. I typically finish a liter of water in an afternoon at Disney, I got through maybe half my bottle this time. I didnt make use of the rest zone, but if I had spent a whole day in the park, I probably would have.

Thanks for the trip report! I'm disappointed to hear again and again that social distancing isn't enforced in the queues. For popular rides, I feel like people might be standing in line for 30-40 minutes next to other people. If you're ever next to a contagious person, that's a lot of exposure time.

Thanks to those of you who shared the tip on the portable UV umbrellas. I like the idea of opening them up in the queues to get some shade, with the added bonus that people can't get as close. I'm going to try that and see if that helps. Although I'm vaccinated, my kiddo isn't. I don't want her Disney souvenir to be COVID-19.

The lines are constantly moving. And much of the lines are outdoors. So you really aren’t next to the same people for long periods of time. You’ll be doing double the walking of past trips if distancing stays at 6 ft.

Do they allow strollers in the long lines that extend past normal waiting area? Normally we stroller park then hop in line. But I’m thinking my kids might do better in longer waits if in the stroller for a period of time in longer lines.

Strollers are allowed until a certain point at most attractions. For example, 7DMT line snakes towards Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Strollers are allowed until you get closer to the standby entrance.

DHS today-a bit of a frustrating morning as we had ticket and magic band issues that ate into a bunch of our “45 minute early” time. We did TOwer before park opening and that was a blast-I’d gotten a last minute ADR for Oga’s via touring plans for 9:15 which I quickly regretted but couldn’t find an open date to most fit too. DH and I let kids got so RNRC and we did the cantina and it was such a good choice. 3 drinks shared by 10 am-we arrived from west coast yesterday so this was 7 am for us. But DH loooooved it and it definitely turned our moods around. We loved ROTR and MMRR-and enjoyed being in the park at the end of the day with it almost empty. Great lunch at 50s, too!

Epcot tomorrow. DH really wants to check out Riviera and ride skyliner-would it make sense to Uber to RIV and ride the skyline?

If you're going to Epcot, just walk out the back International Gateway, and the skyliner is there. Ride it over to Rivieria, and then back to Epcot.

This is one of the biggest issues we have with the extended lines (and makes us really miss FP!). Our toddler struggles in the lines without a stroller to chill in.

Some of the lines you can use it until you get close to the indoors queue. But some you cannot. For example, at MMRR, they made us park the stroller before joining the line and it is loooonng, winding, and in almost full sun. Previously, we could use the stroller for most of the outdoor part but last week could not.

So the short answer - it depends.

If you want to ride the Skyliner from Epcot to the Riviera there is no need to Uber, just exit Epcot from the International Gateway. The skyliner is right there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter