Back from my November 29 - December 8 trip. Had a wonderful time despite the unexpected crowds for early December, it was INSANE. I travel during this timeframe every other year or so, and I've never seen crowds like this. We actually left Animal Kingdom on the 5th because it was so crowded. 65 minute wait for the safari no matter what time of day it was, and it took us an hour to get through the Flights of Passage line and we were there 30 minutes before early opening.

I will say that indoor mask compliance overall was very good, I was shocked. I wore my mask outside in the crowds as well, and I'll admit that the first couple of days of the trip left me really feeling that I had made a mistake coming. It's one thing to read that Covid numbers are good down there, it's safe. It's quite another to go from not being around a lot of people to being in huge crowds again. I did finally get used to it, and just wore a mask outside when there were lots of people. I suggest wearing a good mask, for protection not for looks, as others have said people sick and hacking everywhere.

Went to the Merriest Christmas party on the 7th, and it was awful. I had not planned on going because tickets were double what they were on my last trip, but my traveling companion really wanted to go as she's never been during the holidays, and bought my ticket. Crowds were insane until 9, when the party actually started and everyone else had to leave. Very few free snack carts open throughout the park, and long lines at all of them. Almost no Photopass photographers to be found to do the special Magic shots they supposedly had. The parade was shorter than normal. I will say that the Christmas fireworks were great, but 4 hours for $229 was price gouging, sorry.

CMs to a one were wonderful, I did not run into any of the rude ones that people keep mentioning, in fact quite the opposite.

Tried a few restaurants for the first time, and all were very good. Sanaa has gone on our list of restaurants to go to every trip, I finally got there this trip and both the service and food were wonderful, even with a limited menu. Steakhouse 71 was also excellent, service and food. And I did enjoy my Space 220 lunch, even though it was a pricey experience. Appetizer and drink were excellent, entree was just okay. Atmosphere was wonderful!

LOVED the two new rides that have opened since my last trip, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad (though it's too short a ride!) and Ratatouille. The later was an absolute delight, and I'm not even a big fan of the movie. Was very disappointed with Enchanted, though it was a little better from further back where you can see some of the projections on the buildings on Main Street. They should have tied it better to the 50th celebration, and had at LEAST a mention of Walt Disney. It just seemed to be too much flash and too little heart. Harmonious, on the other hand, was wonderful, I was surprised at how much I loved it.

We did not use Genie+, and were very glad we didn't, seemed to be lots of confusion, the app didn't work a lot of the time, and the most popular rides had no times left by early afternoon, which kind of defeats the purpose. We found that rope drop was a must to get anything done with the crowds. We only went to one extended evening hours, at EPCOT, and those were wonderful, almost no lines to speak of. I wish they would do them every night at one park, and add HS and AK to the list. We did pay to ride Rise of the Resistance, but turns out we probably didn't need to as wait times at the very end of the night were only an hour.

I had another wonderful stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, we ended up with a great view of the animals despite booking a Standard room. Not sure if it was considered a Standard with a partial view or not, but it was lovely. I was not happy when they tried to talk me out of any housekeeping for my 9 night stay, and even less happy when they ended up coming only once to do a light housekeeping after I told them I would do the every 3 days. For a deluxe resort, that is completely unacceptable, and for stays of more than a week they should be doing a thorough housekeeping after a week.

Please take this thread back to actual experiences. Yes, you may share if you encounter rude people but please do not comment about if another person should/should not go to the parks as that is not 'Here Now and Just Back'. Also, please discontinue the thoughts on sharing germs.

Let's get this back on track to sharing guests actual experiences recently or now, as they're there.

Skipped parks on Friday due to crowds (did Night of a Million Lights instead and it's the best thing Central FL is offering - DON'T MISS IT).
We could not agree more. My wife came across the event online, and we tried it the one evening from 8-10. Less than a 1/2 hour drive and it was spectacular. Go if you are in the area, but know you have to pre-buy tickets for a particular time slot to keep crowds manageable. It's amazing and well run. Glad you brought it up!

Just back from our 12/3 - 12/10 trip. We did the parks on 12/5 - 12/7. This was our last trip before our APs expire. We won't be renewing them this time around. We've been to WDW many times during this same timeframe and I was really surprised at how busy it was! We planned Epcot for a Tuesday thinking it wouldn't be too busy. Boy was I wrong!
We didn't use Genie+ or ILL. We've been there enough times that we didn't care if we got on certain rides or not.
We got to see Enchanted for the first time. If you've never seen a WDW fireworks show, this would probably be pretty good for you. It was just "ok" for us as we've seen what Disney is capable of doing and know that Enchanted is not up to par with past shows. The people standing beside us were delightful to visit with though! They hadn't been to WDW in years, so they really enjoyed the show.
One of my main goals for this trip was to see the Storytellers in EP. I really missed them last year. We didn't get to see all of them, but the ones we did see were so much fun!

The weather last week was absolutely delightful! I was hoping our flight back to Minnesota would get cancelled so we could enjoy one more day down there! But it was not meant to be.

One of the biggest things that I missed this year was the Castle all decked out in her sparkly lights. They really need to bring that back for future years, as it just adds so much to the park at night.

One of the biggest things that I missed this year was the Castle all decked out in her sparkly lights. They really need to bring that back for future years, as it just adds so much to the park at night.
Agreed - expecting it's just a one-off for the 50th Anniversary design for the castle. Then again, the 50th Anniversary celebration might extend past next Christmas, so I guess it could be this way for 2 holiday seasons? You're right, though - the way they normally light up the castle for the holidays is breath-taking.

Funny, we were playing a bit with some of the photo filters you can get with Genie+. One of them was to take a photo with the pink cake design for the 25th. Who would want more pictures with that design?? Not us! We'll take the sparkling lights!

Agreed - expecting it's just a one-off for the 50th Anniversary design for the castle. Then again, the 50th Anniversary celebration might extend past next Christmas, so I guess it could be this way for 2 holiday seasons? You're right, though - the way they normally light up the castle for the holidays is breath-taking.

Funny, we were playing a bit with some of the photo filters you can get with Genie+. One of them was to take a photo with the pink cake design for the 25th. Who would want more pictures with that design?? Not us! We'll take the sparkling lights!
The 50th Anniversary celebration is scheduled to be 18 months long and began Oct 1, 2021.

Back from a week at Disney (12/4 to 12/12), I was also very surprised at how busy it was! I go this week every year and it was more crowded than pre-covid times. I guess revenge travel has really kicked in! I did not do Genie + because I visit a few times each year and if a line is too long, I just skip it. I did get a boarding group for Remy at 7am with no problem, it was cute but I would not pay to ride it. Parks were definitely not as clean as when I was there in August, the queue lines were very dirty, though no overflowing trash cans. I was not very impressed with Enchanted at the MK. It was fine, nice fireworks and a lighting overlay on Main Street, but nothing special, especially since it was for the 50th. No Disney "history" included in the presentation. Harmonious was fine, too. Though I don't think it's worth having those monstrosities in World Showcase Lagoon all day. The lighting effects on Spaceship Earth are wonderful! There are 3 short shows (one for Christmas) that run about every 10 minutes. I could have watched that for hours! Food booths were good, but some had longer lines than the attractions! Did not go to DHS since we went a few times in August, decided to have more pool days since the weather was so great. DAK was busy as well. The puppet animals are delightful (not a word I use often, but it describes the puppets and puppeteers quite well). We forgot about Kite Tails, so I can't report on that show. As another poster mentioned, we did go to the Night of a Million Lights at GKTW Village. It was fantastic. We went last year, it was a little different this year because they are hosting families again. Some of the areas we were able to tour last year were not available and part of the tour is now by tram instead of walking. I highly recommend attending if you can, buy your tickets ahead of time online, many nights will sell out, especially as it gets closer to Christmas. The resorts were beautiful with the Christmas decorations, it was nice spending a day checking out each of them. Stayed at my favorite, the WL, and it was as good as ever, though I do hope they start and complete a BR renovation before our summer trip, fingers crossed! As for merchandise/shopping, you can tell they are having supply chain issues. Halloween merchandise is still on display at some shops, and at others, one item will take up tons of shelf space (at the Emporium the area where the 50th merchandise is sold had literally walls and floor fixtures full of the foam soap dispensers). Guess this was good for my wallet! I think I expected more from Disney with it being the 50th celebration, it definitely did not compare to other milestone years. I would not have known anything special was being celebrated if it were not for the banners. I really can't qualify it, but I did come away with the feeling that things were being cut or shortchanged, even more so than this past August. Overall, it was a nice trip (it was Disney, afterall), however if things keep on this same path, I may cut back to one Disney trip each year and do something different (I almost can't believe I actually said that). I heard quite a few people saying the same thing at different points and at different locations during this trip. I guess we'll see!

Bought Genie+ today for MK. Didn't do the early morning hours and the lines were pretty okay arriving a little after 9 a.m. The genie only got us on 2 rides. The times they give you for return are spread too far apart. Jungle cruise was already at 4:20 to book at 9 a.m. So for the park hopping people, it just doesn't work well. We still enjoyed our morning in spite of it being very crowded and very hot. Left at noon and hopping later to HS and got one genie+ for TS. I love the parks at night. For me, it's a bit too hot this week, so going back to the room in between for a rest works best. Love the skyliner!

Back from a week at Disney (12/4 to 12/12), I was also very surprised at how busy it was! I go this week every year and it was more crowded than pre-covid times. I guess revenge travel has really kicked in! I did not do Genie + because I visit a few times each year and if a line is too long, I just skip it. I did get a boarding group for Remy at 7am with no problem, it was cute but I would not pay to ride it. Parks were definitely not as clean as when I was there in August, the queue lines were very dirty, though no overflowing trash cans. I was not very impressed with Enchanted at the MK. It was fine, nice fireworks and a lighting overlay on Main Street, but nothing special, especially since it was for the 50th. No Disney "history" included in the presentation. Harmonious was fine, too. Though I don't think it's worth having those monstrosities in World Showcase Lagoon all day. The lighting effects on Spaceship Earth are wonderful! There are 3 short shows (one for Christmas) that run about every 10 minutes. I could have watched that for hours! Food booths were good, but some had longer lines than the attractions! Did not go to DHS since we went a few times in August, decided to have more pool days since the weather was so great. DAK was busy as well. The puppet animals are delightful (not a word I use often, but it describes the puppets and puppeteers quite well). We forgot about Kite Tails, so I can't report on that show. As another poster mentioned, we did go to the Night of a Million Lights at GKTW Village. It was fantastic. We went last year, it was a little different this year because they are hosting families again. Some of the areas we were able to tour last year were not available and part of the tour is now by tram instead of walking. I highly recommend attending if you can, buy your tickets ahead of time online, many nights will sell out, especially as it gets closer to Christmas. The resorts were beautiful with the Christmas decorations, it was nice spending a day checking out each of them. Stayed at my favorite, the WL, and it was as good as ever, though I do hope they start and complete a BR renovation before our summer trip, fingers crossed! As for merchandise/shopping, you can tell they are having supply chain issues. Halloween merchandise is still on display at some shops, and at others, one item will take up tons of shelf space (at the Emporium the area where the 50th merchandise is sold had literally walls and floor fixtures full of the foam soap dispensers). Guess this was good for my wallet! I think I expected more from Disney with it being the 50th celebration, it definitely did not compare to other milestone years. I would not have known anything special was being celebrated if it were not for the banners. I really can't qualify it, but I did come away with the feeling that things were being cut or shortchanged, even more so than this past August. Overall, it was a nice trip (it was Disney, afterall), however if things keep on this same path, I may cut back to one Disney trip each year and do something different (I almost can't believe I actually said that). I heard quite a few people saying the same thing at different points and at different locations during this trip. I guess we'll see!
Agree completely with your assessment of Enchanted (the Christmas party fireworks/projections were much better), also your assessment of the lights on Spaceship Earth - that was a very pleasant surprise and quite stunning. After dark, the World Showcase lagoon kind of hid the hardware in the lake (and we did enjoy Harmonious), but it's pretty ugly during the day..... And perhaps our biggest takeaway was the lack of merchandise to buy - my spouse was incredibly disappointed, as were many folks we saw in the stores. Very little 50th stuff. Absolutely no glass Christmas ornaments, even at the big Christmas store at DS. They are missing out on mega-bucks in sales by not having things on the shelve people are desperate to buy. As you said - saved on the wallet, but was disappointing. Some things our out of their control, however.

This is on a Monday the week before the big holiday week those going next week I’ll pray for you!View attachment 630323

Hollywood Studios is at capacity today so unless they increase capacity next week, it should not be any worse than it is today.

Pictures can also be subjective. That particular location is a main thoroughfare at DHS.

I'm not saying it's not busy but I also don't want to add fear to those who are already booked and going next week. That's doesn't do anything to help them.

Hi everyone- we arrive 12/21 and I so appreciate your experiences. Can anyone share if the food both lines have been super long on crowded days? We're going to EPCOT on 12/23 and I currently have the Candlelight Processional package booked at 1:20pm at Biergarten for the 5:15 Candlelight Processional show. I'd rather snack around the world but I'm thinking it might be best to have the reservation if food booth lines will be crazy

Hi everyone- we arrive 12/21 and I so appreciate your experiences. Can anyone share if the food both lines have been super long on crowded days? We're going to EPCOT on 12/23 and I currently have the Candlelight Processional package booked at 1:20pm at Biergarten for the 5:15 Candlelight Processional show. I'd rather snack around the world but I'm thinking it might be best to have the reservation if food booth lines will be crazy

I have a friend who is there now. While she says it feels very crowded, the lines for the food booths today have not been too bad. She's guessing 10-12 people in most lines.

Update: As the time has gotten later many of the lines are around 30 people deep.

Last edited:
Hollywood Studios is at capacity today so unless they increase capacity next week, it should not be any worse than it is today.

Pictures can also be subjective. That particular location is a main thoroughfare at DHS.

I'm not saying it's not busy but I also don't want to add fear to those who are already booked and going next week. That's doesn't do anything to help them.

telling people it’s busy doesn’t help them?

I got just about everything done today everything was a 70 minute wait outside of the muppets. Rise of the resistance has a brief time it went down and people left so when it reopened it wasn’t crazy line but lightening lane is gonna be a must for those who don’t want to wait long lines.

We were in AK today, leaving now. Rode Flight of Passage, Navi River, and safari before 9. Rode dinosaur twice, tri spin, Everest 5, yes 5 times, Lion King, Kite show, It's tough to be a bug. We were walking around at 5 deciding what to do...party of 8 no Genie. Forgot, we also saw Feather Friends in Flight. Great day!!;

Here in line at Toy story mania. This is the 3rd ride that went down while were in line today. Once a ride goes down the lightening lanes back up and guess who has priority when it reopens. ROTR took us 3 hours today as we were already 65 minutes in when it went down. RNRR we were 30 minutes in for a 55 minute wait before they told everyone to leave. Now we're going on 40 minutes for a 45 posted wait time and now that we are moving, I'm guessing another 20-25 minutes while they load the lightening lane people at the 9 groups to 1 ratio that they follow. Got to the parks at 9am and here it is 7:10pm and this will be our 4th ride. Just got another announcement that they're having another delay. Don't even mention genie+. Did it yesterday at MK and it was a nightmare with rides going surah there too. Money and time wasted.
Ugh. We've been in the parks over a hundred times. I'm saddened by this trip.

I’ve been watching the tip board and it does seem like there’s a lot of downtime. I’m sure staffing is a challenge there

People always spread germs in a theme park since the Dawn of time.
Very true, but we have been lucky enough over the years to have not come home with any unwanted germy stowaways. Our November trip was the first time in dozens and dozens of trips over the years that we’ve come home sick - including 8 post-Covid.

We timed many rides today and wait times were 15 minutes and many were 20/25 minutes less than stated. Some waits that posted 30 minutes were actually just the time it took to walk to the boarding. We were able to keep pace with the people in the lightning lane. I was honestly not excited for this trip. I had read so many bad reviews. Maybe we've just lucked out but cast members have been awesome. The only negative so far was a dirty restroom by Lion King. I did see many cast members walking around with brooms keeping garbage picked up. We have yet to see one overflowing can as I read in previous reviews. Youngest was given a free Mickey pretzel for answering a question about a spider. Dole whips were as tasty as ever. We've had no issue finding a table to eat on different occasions. The eggnog cupcake was YUM!!

I forgot to add that although there seems to be a lot of people they don't seem to be riding. It's the strangest thing. I have noticed a ton of people with heads buried in phones. I left my phone in the room, yes I'm that old school!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter