The parks are super crowded right now. I am just leaving after a 4.5 day trip. On this trip we experienced less attractions then ever before. I think the number of people allowed in is calculated by the fire codes and “full capacity” is irrelevant. Parks are rarely full capacity outside of holidays. So the reduction in people is less Disney keeping people out (although there may be a cap) but mainly because some things aren’t open and so the allowed people for that space is not calculated in the total allowed capacity since it’s closed. Add to that a reduction in numbers of CMs (less people working food carts, less carts, less restaurant availability, less help in stores..), no FPs, no parades and no meet and greets, etc. and in some parks less shows, to break up waits and in effect everything has a wait. Everyone is in line or looking for where to go. We found that if you arrived at the parks really early for rope drop you could get about 3 attractions in before lines grew and you had to choose carefully. The wait times were sometimes over inflated, sometimes under inflated and sometimes just right. Unfortunately it was hard to tell until you arrived at the attraction and then you made a guess based on where the line started and previous experiences. Storms also caused mass closures some days along with the usual ride closures. If you go, go in with expectations set correctly. I’m glad it was just myself and a friend vs large family. Perhaps once schools start back the crowds will let up but for now Disney has more guests than they can handle unless you are not oppose to waiting every time (and waiting in the heat and masked at times. I think masks are a good idea but still found it challenging). I think that is what was so different to me is before you always had at least 3 FPs and some attractions were short waits to break things up. Right after the Covid closure there was reduced capacity (visited in October, March, and beginning of June). That is not the case right now. I have taken a couple trips here since the COVID closure but this is the first time it felt both too crowded and maybe not even safe from a COVID perspective if you are unvaccinated.

Last edited:
So we’ve never been to AK. It’s never been high on our list but we came down to FL to visit family and carved out one night to check it out (staying at Poly tomorrow, planning to go Saturday morning when, ostensibly, the crowds are elsewhere). Hearing these anecdotal reports of the crowds are making me a bit apprehensive. The masking change actually makes it more likely we keep the reservation. Trying to decide if it’s worth it or if we just do resort experiences this time and use our sunk cost in tickets towards a park hopper next fall and try it then.

So we’ve never been to AK. It’s never been high on our list but we came down to FL to visit family and carved out one night to check it out (staying at Poly tomorrow, planning to go Saturday morning when, ostensibly, the crowds are elsewhere). Hearing these anecdotal reports of the crowds are making me a bit apprehensive. The masking change actually makes it more likely we keep the reservation. Trying to decide if it’s worth it or if we just do resort experiences this time and use our sunk cost in tickets towards a park hopper next fall and try it then.
I would not get too concerned about crowds. We have visited for extended stays the same time of year pre-Covid and the crowds feel the same to me. Also don’t get scared by the pictures. It is easy to make an area look incredibly crowded from the angle of the photo and the perspective.

The parks are not empty by any means, but they never are this time of year. Just feels normal to me. The big difference is lack of fast pass and the amount of time standing in lines now.

Dan

Honestly, I’d wait. We’ve been here since Monday and AK felt more crowded than any other park. If rides are important, unless you’re willing to be at AK an hour or more before they open, then move in that massive crowd to FOP, you’re looking at a 2 hr or more wait to ride.

Within a couple of hours all the rides there have fairly long lines and the lines snaking thru the park really make the crowds seem awful. If you can accept long waits, a lot of it outdoors in the heat, you’re set. If not, I’d think twice.

While we’ve had a fairly decent time, it’s been hard to get anything done. If I had it to do over again, I’d stay home.

Last edited:

Were you on a ride at 10:20 - and if yes, which one? I'm trying to figure out an Epcot RD strategy - with the shortest lines. & preferably not criss crossing thru all the construction TIA
We rode TT first- walked on and was one of the first to ride.
Today went back to Epcot- parking lot already opened by 9:50. We got in line at 10 let in at 10:20 walked to Soarin walk on. Then walked on figment. Headed to world showcase to eat and drink our way around. The rain shortened our plans so we left around 3 in the downpour. Resting and heading out later.

so for this week every park let us into and on rides anywhere from 45 minutes early except MK. They held us inside the park on Main Street until 9

I need to read more carefully. If I were you, I would enjoy the resort and skip the park. The next few days are going to be hard while things transistion. AK is my least favorite park and I would never waste a one day ticket there.

do you all think HEA will be better, worse, the same on boo bash nights? and i guess if someone is at one of the first ones maybe report back if you would be so kind :)
I think it will be worse. You will have regular crowd levels due to normal MK closing time plus Boo Bash people who get to come in early. We aren't going until later in Oct so won't get to see HEA, but we went ahead and changed our MK day to a non-BB day (since we aren't attending). It will probably still be very crowded either way. Hope someone does report back!

I spent a day at MK in early June, going back tomorrow for a few days.

I'm pretty much anticipating it to be (1) rainy beyond belief (2) hot as hell and (3) full of people complaining about masks. #1 and #2 I signed up for... #3 I'm not looking forward to.

For those of you (us) who have been many times, what were some of the out of the way things you've done during this crowded/COVID time that could be a good way to spend time in MK?

I don't need to do every ride, I don't need to justify my ticket price, I'm there to rope drop and leave at close and just enjoy the day. Even if a good chunk of that is shopping! :-)
My sister and I just got back last week, we have been many times so were not worried about cramming everything in…some of the highlights for me taking it slow -

-Meandering s l o w l y up the Swiss family treehouse, stopping a few times to just gaze out at the castle and let people pass us…it was not very crowded lol
-Enjoying that kakamora float at aloha isle…YUM…just be sure to mobile order. It was crazy packed and hard to find a place to enjoy it.
-Ate at skipper canteen for a break. After you check in, go inside to the left to wait, there is a little open area through a doorway with two cushioned chairs that are outside undercover kind of like a balcony right across from the treehouse to people watch while you wait a few minutes for your table.
-Got a last minute reservation at liberty tree, started to pour right as we went in, perfect timing!
-Found a spot to watch HEA on the left side of castle near the bridge, few people back there, projections were distorted but castle was close and colors were still pretty!
-Then made a beeline to Astro orbiter for one last ride of day after HEA while everyone else was headed to space or mine train. Could have done people mover a couple times instead, I’m sure.
-Sitting on a bench near the train station in front of park for over 30 minutes watching the hoards of people stream out until it was a trickle, then left. Got right on a bus, no wait.
-Carried a small umbrella around all day…great for rain, sun, and a social distancing mechanism in crowds lol :rolleyes1
-We didn’t do much shopping, I have enough Disney merch. If anything, I would have bought a pin, but I didn’t see anything I liked. I feel like the pins haven’t changed much, same old same old. Did a lot of eating, though.
-FWIW, I know a lot of people slam AK for FEELING overly hot for some reason, but we feel like MK is overly hot…with tons of people everywhere and so much concrete and lines all being outside a lot not undercover. I think we both enjoyed our slow day at AK better.

Yea I was just going to mention that Disney is going back to requiring masks for all indoor attractions, dining, and shopping. It got pretty ugly on the Disney reddit and Facebook groups with people fighting about this. But I will say is that for anyone going to Disney World in the coming days to be safe and enjoy yourself and make the best decision about your health.

Personal opinion though, I do think it's for the best. When I was in WDW July 9th-12th it was pretty insane people had no sense of personal space while indoors and in line for attractions and stuff. Some guy literally coughed on the back on my neck while in line for Toy Story Mania ( that's how close up on me he was).
Like I said before, I’d be wearing a mask anyway, even if they haven’t mandated it. I’m a nurse and worked all last year during the pandemic, unvaxxed, with recycled and reused masks. Never caught the big C. But, those are some pretty intense crowds and I personally don’t wish to chance it. I also work in the OR so I’m used to the masks anyway.

My sister and I just got back last week, we have been many times so were not worried about cramming everything in…some of the highlights for me taking it slow -

-Meandering s l o w l y up the Swiss family treehouse, stopping a few times to just gaze out at the castle and let people pass us…it was not very crowded lol
-Enjoying that kakamora float at aloha isle…YUM…just be sure to mobile order. It was crazy packed and hard to find a place to enjoy it.
-Ate at skipper canteen for a break. After you check in, go inside to the left to wait, there is a little open area through a doorway with two cushioned chairs that are outside undercover kind of like a balcony right across from the treehouse to people watch while you wait a few minutes for your table.
-Got a last minute reservation at liberty tree, started to pour right as we went in, perfect timing!
-Found a spot to watch HEA on the left side of castle near the bridge, few people back there, projections were distorted but castle was close and colors were still pretty!
-Then made a beeline to Astro orbiter for one last ride of day after HEA while everyone else was headed to space or mine train. Could have done people mover a couple times instead, I’m sure.
-Sitting on a bench near the train station in front of park for over 30 minutes watching the hoards of people stream out until it was a trickle, then left. Got right on a bus, no wait.
-Carried a small umbrella around all day…great for rain, sun, and a social distancing mechanism in crowds lol :rolleyes1
-We didn’t do much shopping, I have enough Disney merch. If anything, I would have bought a pin, but I didn’t see anything I liked. I feel like the pins haven’t changed much, same old same old. Did a lot of eating, though.
-FWIW, I know a lot of people slam AK for FEELING overly hot for some reason, but we feel like MK is overly hot…with tons of people everywhere and so much concrete and lines all being outside a lot not undercover. I think we both enjoyed our slow day at AK better.
Good idea about the umbrella!

I wasn't very clear at all about my concern. I am concerned about the change in mask policy having an effect on restaurant capacity and wait times. I arrive next Saturday for 11 nights and was planning on 2 meals in the parks per day. If the change in mask policy makes it significantly more difficult to eat in the parks, I'd like to be prepared. My son has celiac disease, so simply ordering food through Uber is not a good option. I've also been advised that the the resort counter service meals are a little less capable when it comes to allergies.

And...well, yes, wear a mask to walk inside the restaurant. I've read the rules and intend to follow Disney's policies. I've only been in a restaurant once since March 2020 and it was after mask mandates were removed. I don't know what is expected because you clearly can't eat with a mask on. Do you remove it when seated? After you order? Do you wait until your food arrives? Is there an actual protocol for this? Will they clearly state the expectations?
Resorts can handle food allergies-you just have to order in person usually with a manager. The quick service resort allergy options are not listed In mobile order, but they have the options and are capable.

We just got back and even though we had a great time (changed our exceptions before going and knew what to expect thanks to everyone here.. but since this was the only time we could go..made the most of it)

*Lines are extremely LONG
*It’s so HOT and the humidity is insane
*It rained almost every afternoon/evening and since we hate to be wet (sensory issues) we missed a lot of park time, rope drop was the way to go for us (about two days in we realized this)
*Hate the short evening hours, in this heat/humidity they really should have extended night hours..plus the parks are so pretty then
*Cast members were all awesome
*We didn’t notice any trash issues
*Buses and wait times seem to vary especially when leaving the parks, MK was the worse
*If you worried with social distancing I would definitely skip right now. Also a side note, I twisted my ankle and went to one of the health clinics, I would say about 98% of the people who came in were being tested for covid. At one point they started sending ppl elsewhere..they were at a 4 hour wait on testing.
*Memory Maker was a bust for us, didn’t see a lot of cast members and the rain didn’t help

Overall, glad we went but will never go back in any summer months again. But, awesome memories and many laughs were made 💗

We just got back and even though we had a great time (changed our exceptions before going and knew what to expect thanks to everyone here.. but since this was the only time we could go..made the most of it)

*Lines are extremely LONG
*It’s so HOT and the humidity is insane
*It rained almost every afternoon/evening and since we hate to be wet (sensory issues) we missed a lot of park time, rope drop was the way to go for us (about two days in we realized this)
*Hate the short evening hours, in this heat/humidity they really should have extended night hours..plus the parks are so pretty then
*Cast members were all awesome
*We didn’t notice any trash issues
*Buses and wait times seem to vary especially when leaving the parks, MK was the worse
*If you worried with social distancing I would definitely skip right now. Also a side note, I twisted my ankle and went to one of the health clinics, I would say about 98% of the people who came in were being tested for covid. At one point they started sending ppl elsewhere..they were at a 4 hour wait on testing.
*Memory Maker was a bust for us, didn’t see a lot of cast members and the rain didn’t help

Overall, glad we went but will never go back in any summer months again. But, awesome memories and many laughs were made 💗

Your last sentence is what’s most important!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter