It's so odd to me how some ppl. doubt a posters experience when it's not in favor of Disney. I'm not surprised at all that they didn't have buses. Disney is a mess when it comes to the skyliner not working in perfect condition. The advance communication is non-existent; once you talk to a CM you often get different answers and it's slow. I can totally see them not having buses or things organized for a good chunk of time when it first went down.
Right? When the skyliner goes down, the transportation situation from/to any of the skyliner resorts is a disaster. We last stayed at CBR over an Aug trip and that was our last summer skyliner resort trip ever. The time it took the buses to "catch up" to the skyliner being down was ridiculously long. We ended up ubering a few times after waiting 30+ min. I love the skyliner, just not in the later summer months when it's daily t-storms. I won't say never, but staying at a skyliner resort is not on my short list from June-Oct.

Just spent 3 days in the parks last week, Aug 3, 4 & 5. Used the 4 park magic ticket but only hit Ep, DHS and MK, sorry AK.....you were my throw away day given the 4 park ticket was cheaper than 3 park days :)

Parks
They were moderately busy, and as expected, DHS "felt" the busiest to us and MK definitely felt the emptiest, though it wasn't really. MK has fall decor up already. I know the parties start soon but we've been going to disney the first week of Aug for years and I never have seen fall decor up this early. Gotta extend every season about 60+ days for that $$$. lol

We did buy G+ for all 3 parks and iLL$ for Rise/7DMT but definitely didn't really need it for Epcot. We usually skip buying it but I figured we were down a family member, it would be less money so go for it. Overall still feel like G+ is a waste at Ep but it is what it is. We arrived at Ep around 9am, so not really RD or ETPE and rode all of what we wanted by 7pm. Remy did go down during our G+ return time but TP had a note in the app that said when it was going to come back online so we waited by the entrance and it came back online when TP said it would. I know a lot of TP is user data but that was good info and helpful to know. Our days at DHS and MK started later since we wanted to sleep in and we felt like we got everything done pretty early. We left DHS around 9ish and same for MK so we never had the park closing heards at the end of the night which we enjoyed.

Our longest wait was RnRC, had a G+ at 2:45p and I believe we boarded a little before 4pm, got in line around 3p. I think it must have just come back online when we got in line so that wasn't great but that wasn't terrible. Similar issues at Rise and GoG, rides were down so we rode when we felt like it, which for us is more enjoyable/flexible than having an hour window anyway. But wait at GoG was 45 min, Rise was about 25 min. Had no issues getting the VQ for Tron and GoG but I suspect the crowds were much lighter than normal. We had BG 64 for Tron, est return time was 2pm but we were called right at 1pm so they were moving pretty good. Waited about 25 min until we loaded our locker with our bags and rode.

Resort/Buses
No bus issues at all, we stayed at POFQ and have to say, it's so, so easy to get from the resort to the parks with one bus stop, especially Epcot and DHS, before I could even get comfy, it felt like we arrived. Our last resort stay was CBR, the land of never ending bus stops and long walks, so this was a welcomed change. LOVED IT! I've stayed at POR and I love that resort too, but the sheer compactness of FQ is wonderful!! Food court was also great too, lots of food choices and them beignets....YUMMY! We went too heavy on the Haunted Mansion beignets. Rooms are in good shape and our room was very clean. We were 2nd floor, room 3232, about the closest room to the lobby you could get. Great location and beautiful property. We usually stay at Swan/Dolphin and while I love the location of those resorts, they're def not as Disney'fied as Port Orleans.

This likely relates to the above point. WDW is not affordable to the regular family. I'd be willing to wager that it's not a very economically diverse guest group. The sense of entitlement is palpable, and if Disney is actually interested in true diversity, family means is just as important as all other aspects of diversity. Disney should look at some income based pricing models that promote economic diversity.

You may be surprised to hear this, but I am a caseworker at a state assistance office, and I have multiple families in my caseload who go to the Disney and Universal at least once a year. A few of my coworkers, however, can’t afford to go.

So I think the crowds are economically diverse, and it’s just that people can be rude and entitled regardless of income.

You may be surprised to hear this, but I am a caseworker at a state assistance office, and I have multiple families in my caseload who go to the Disney and Universal at least once a year. A few of my coworkers, however, can’t afford to go.

So I think the crowds are economically diverse, and it’s just that people can be rude and entitled regardless of income.
Yes, I have several families who qualify for every income based waiver under the sun, but go to Disney and Universal mult. times a yr. I think there is much more of a diverse population of guests than one would think. I used to be so surprised to find out many of the families I worked with take these trips, so without that; I too would think it's pretty limited.

Yes, I have several families who qualify for every income based waiver under the sun, but go to Disney and Universal mult. times a yr. I think there is much more of a diverse population of guests than one would think. I used to be so surprised to find out many of the families I worked with take these trips, so without that; I too would think it's pretty limited.

Exactly! I was afraid my comment came across as snarky (the “you might be surprised” part) but I genuinely meant it because I know that when I started this job, I was surprised at the vacations the applicants were taking lol

We are having a good trip but people aren’t exaggerating about ride closures. Yesterday at MK we got 4 anytime experiences by selecting Pirates over and over.

In addition, tomorrowland transit was down, haunted mansion was down, Pooh was down.

But the lightning lane for haunted mansion was really backed up because of the Pooh and Pirates shutdown I think

Just back from my 10th trip since 2009, and I never thought I'd say this, but the cons outweigh the pros. I didn't even consider the 25% bounceback email today before hitting delete. It's still fun, but it's not as fun as it used to be, and I'm not consumed today by trying to figure out how to get back.

I was a WDW fanatic, and don't be fooled by my low post count. I had an account long ago and was an active board user before I made some screen time lifestyle adjustments and returned recently for tips on changes since my last (2019) trip.

- Rides stop/break/temporarily close consistently. Old rides, new rides, it doesn't matter. Expect to leave a line daily, and if you waited 40 minutes (because LL is sold out, or it's only ILL, or you couldn't afford G+. Then, when a ride comes back, LL is backed up so if you're stand by, expect to do a lot of standing if you don't have G+.
- Cast members are amazing, but there are too many entitled guests. I never saw so many people barging past us in line to catch up to their party, or being rude to cast members asking them to follow rules.
- This likely relates to the above point. WDW is not affordable to the regular family. I'd be willing to wager that it's not a very economically diverse guest group. The sense of entitlement is palpable, and if Disney is actually interested in true diversity, family means is just as important as all other aspects of diversity. Disney should look at some income based pricing models that promote economic diversity.
- Inconsistent policies are frustrating. Go to E at 7:20 and the parking attendent will make you loop through and exit and wait to enter the parking lot until 7:30. Then show up at HS at 7:30 expecting the same policy and you'll find out that you are VERY late. E and MK have an actual rope drop where you're corralled, but at HS you can go right to the queue to RoR, and even ride and exit before 8:30. In E, where there are 2 entrances and the (arguably) better rides are at the back of the park (until they discontinue virtual queue at GoG) it's particularly frustrating to get held in a pen way back by the Sea's pavilion.
- Inconsistent food quality is frustrating when you don't have a park hopper. This was my first trip without a park hopper (expense), and the very low quality food at MK is difficult to strategize around. Star Wars has thankfully greatly stepped up the food quality at HS, otherwise, I'd strongly consider the park hopper when I go back.
- G+ has some advantages and disadvantages to all of the old systems, and there is plenty to read on here about those. Concensus is that it's beneficial at MK and HS, not so much at E and AK. I did one MK day with it, one without it. If you're rope dropping and staying until 10p, you can go without it and still ride almost everything, but expect to spend a lot of the day in queues and not enjoying the park. The frustration for me is that you go ahead and spend the extra money on G+, but oh, by the way you still need to wait in line for 60 to 90 minutes or spend even more money on ILL FoP, RoR, or 7DMT. Comeon Disney.
- Measure how much time you spend on your phone while you're on vacation. Especially if you're the group planner. It's too much like work.
- I really miss the later park hours for planning purposes. Closing at 9p in the busy summer months is too early.
- WOW is it expensive

Disney as a company is missing the mark in too many places, and when this happens businesses lose loyal customers. I'm not an every other year customer any more - I'll go back, but once every 5 years is my guess. Too much has changed in the value proposition for me.
My first family trip was 2009 and I first came to these boards in 2008 and 2009 to plan that trip. Honestly, your post could be nearly a word for word match with the posts from that era (and just about every year since then):

Too expensive, complaints about other guests being rude, complaints about Fast Passes for "all the good rides" being sold out by 10:30 AM, complaints that the food had gone down hill because of the dining plan, complaints about over-crowding and just general complaints that WDW had "lost the magic" since they had been going back in the 90's.

We nearly cancelled that first trip before we even left because of all of the negative comments we read, until a long time Disney fan friend of ours explained the normal evolution of a Disney parks fan: First trip you don't know what you are doing but excited about once in a lifetime trip, that trip is amazing so you book another trip and another trip. Become a Disney pro yourself where you know every tip and trick to make the perfect vacation, continue to plan more trips. As prices continue to go up each year and Disney eliminates some of your favorite perks, they become dis-illusioned with the Magic and the cost of everything. Previous super fan balks at the cost and the effort, vowing not to go back, just another wave of millions of new Disney vacation families start researching the internet looking for info to plan their once in a lifetime trip. Rinse and repeat.

My first family trip was 2009 and I first came to these boards in 2008 and 2009 to plan that trip. Honestly, your post could be nearly a word for word match with the posts from that era (and just about every year since then):

Too expensive, complaints about other guests being rude, complaints about Fast Passes for "all the good rides" being sold out by 10:30 AM, complaints that the food had gone down hill because of the dining plan, complaints about over-crowding and just general complaints that WDW had "lost the magic" since they had been going back in the 90's.

We nearly cancelled that first trip before we even left because of all of the negative comments we read, until a long time Disney fan friend of ours explained the normal evolution of a Disney parks fan: First trip you don't know what you are doing but excited about once in a lifetime trip, that trip is amazing so you book another trip and another trip. Become a Disney pro yourself where you know every tip and trick to make the perfect vacation, continue to plan more trips. As prices continue to go up each year and Disney eliminates some of your favorite perks, they become dis-illusioned with the Magic and the cost of everything. Previous super fan balks at the cost and the effort, vowing not to go back, just another wave of millions of new Disney vacation families start researching the internet looking for info to plan their once in a lifetime trip. Rinse and repeat.
So true, after our 12 or so trip last December for 11 days, we were so disappointed that the parks were so crowded, guests were so rude, rides were long or down, genie+ did not work for us but we will be back in October at our favorite resort, YC, in our favorite pool, Stormalong Bay. Upon reflection, we love the magic Disney brings, the holiday decorations, walking around in the early morning around the boardwalk and Epcot before the crowds. Have I outgrown I few things, sure but it’s still magic. Rinse and repeat.

Tale as old as time! Brilliantly articulated.

We are having a good trip but people aren’t exaggerating about ride closures. Yesterday at MK we got 4 anytime experiences by selecting Pirates over and over.

In addition, tomorrowland transit was down, haunted mansion was down, Pooh was down.

But the lightning lane for haunted mansion was really backed up because of the Pooh and Pirates shutdown I think
Ooof, that's rough for DHS. Pirates was down the Saturday before last. Around 2pm the app had a pop notification about how they were working on it but there was no estimated return to service, it never came back online. I felt like in 3 days, every day we had anytime return LLs because rides went down but they came back online and the anytime/almost any attraction LL is sort of better in the end so that keeps people's overall guest experience a little more positive but it's still frustrating at times. And your day at DHS with all those rides down sounds awful. We had a few rides down but none all at the same time.

Just returned from 9 nights-6 at Boardwalk 3 at Pop. Loved both hotels! No issues with the Skyliner, busses, or friendship boats. Cast members were great across the board. Plenty of cranky families in the heat (mine included!) but nothing outrageous.

I’m very glad we have passes because the heat was so brutal this trip that we only spent a few hours at a time in the parks. Less pressure/guilt and it gave us more time to enjoy the resorts. Crowds were pretty typical. The only time they felt outright overwhelming was after the parade during MNSSHP.

I have to say that the DAS is just not working as well as it used to with the Genie+ crowd adding to the lines. We have a neurodiverse family and I don’t see how it’s fair that disabled people are not only having to wait longer than the regular queue (we all know those wait times are typically significantly inflated) but worse than that- the lightning lane lines are getting so long that it’s completely defeating the point.

We have no problem fairly waiting our turn in an environment my son can handle, but I do have a problem waiting longer than a typical guest and then getting in another line that’s too long for my kid to handle. My son waited his turn outside of the queue and then when we went to go on SDD the DAS line was so long that he had a meltdown which made the experience stressful for him and those around us. & yes, I’ve brought this up to guest services in the past as well as others have but the lines continue to get worse.

On our way home after our trip, 3 days Disney and 2 days universal. I’m not sure why i was under the impression that it wasn’t crowded these last few weeks of August but boy was I wrong. Doesn’t help I convinced DH that once kiddos go back to school in August it’ll be a walk in the literal park and the heat won’t matter if the crowds aren’t bad….woof.
Granted, we know how to navigate around Disney and going either once a year or every other year it’s okay if we miss a few attractions.
Friday we started at MK which was intentional because there was a MNSSHP that night and the morning was empty. The only issue was the ~two hour of down time that Tron had so our boarding group kept getting pushed further and further and being an early out day that was slightly upsetting. And Pirates was down I believe the whole day, which we luckily rode on Weds but that was likely frustrating for first timers who didn’t get the opportunity all day.

Friday afternoon/evening there were monsoon level rain (aka probably a normal summer shower) and while at AK I kid you not EVERY SINGLE attraction was down except safari. Granted, I know a few are already outside so they can’t run in bad weather. I should’ve taken a picture of the app-a CM at Avatar said there was something wrong with the generator???? So we did a few walk throughs before our dinner. But it was definitely inconvenient.

We decided to get Genie for HS and happy we did, were able to get 5 LL from the hours of 2-8. And I know we are just nitpicking because it’s easier to complain about LL when you are in standby but we felt like every ride we were in standby the LL would be 2 seconds long and the standby wouldn’t move for ages, but yet when we were in a LL we all of a sudden were still waiting 20-25 minutes (which is a drastic time saver and may be exaggerated/non factual) but we stopped for a while in MMRR and RNRC even having lightning lane. We kept making jokes saying wherever we went the lines would stop or the wait time would jump up cause that’s just what it felt like!

Won’t be back to Disney until maybe 2025, happy we were able to squeeze in a 2023 trip but definitely glad to be home

I’m throwing park hopping into my ILL/Genie + experience and would love some strategy feedback. We’ll head to Epcot in the morning and then to MK that evening to take advantage of extended hours. I’d like to get GotG and Tron ILL, and definitely wouldn’t mind a GotG boarding group as well if I’m lucky enough.
1. What order should I book those? Boarding group first, or the ILLs? Tron before GotG?
2. I can’t remember if I get to select my times for ILL, but I will (obviously) need morning for GotG an afternoon or evening Tron. Does that impact the order I select?
3. Sounds like I should skip the BG for Tron during the 6pm drop because people are spending most of the extra hours in line.
4. Any other advice?

I was just looking at wait times on MDE.

It’s 845 am and HS opened 15 minutes ago to offsite and 45 minutes ago to on-site guests.

Do you think that the times in MDE are relatively accurate early in the morning or are times already being inflated?

Rise is 70 minutes, but at least it seems to be running.

Just trying to figure out a plan of attack for next month.

TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter