Here now, OMG buses.

Actually, when we first started going to Disney many moons ago when they first opened, they actually DID require *proof* of staying on sight before boarding their transportation. ::yes::

They don't now. So maybe their thought process on it has changed a bit.

Thank you :goodvibes It was ok, we dealt with it. The mere fact that my Mum was finally able to go to Disney (she always believed she would never go) and to watch her with a silly grin plastered on her face whilst wearing a light up tiara was priceless .... and I'm taking my parents again this year for their 42nd Wedding Anniversary :thumbsup2

I think the key to Disney is patience - the place is full of thousands of people from all different walks of life, with different stories and a different idea of what they expect out of a vacation. Also the parks themselves won't always run as smooth as we'd like, the rides are amazing feats of engineering/logistics etc so sometimes, there might be a closure. Remember that and just roll with it :)

I've been perusing this thread, but this made me decide to post :goodvibes

My husband and I got married in WDW in July of 2007. In April, my Grandma found out she had to have heart surgery. We were so worried for her, but she came through super. We then began to worry about her being in Florida in July for our wedding a mere 2-2.5 months after her surgery. Her doctors cleared her with flying colors and we were overjoyed she was going to get to share our day with us! The one condition, she had to have a wheelchair for the parks. The bus drivers also insisted that the party with the person in the wheelchair had to load through the back door with the chair. I cannot even begin to tell you how many nasty looks, eye rolls, huffs, etc.. we got from people. It was heartbreaking to feel so excited to be getting married and to have my Grandma there happy and healthy and to deal with people acting that way. I completely feel for you, and I'm so happy your Mum had the time of her life :goodvibes

I do wish there was a better system OR if they would redesign the buses. That's really the only way I think they can accommodate everyone more quickly with a resign. At least a no stroller express bus...just like they have no bag lanes when entering the park. I do find it does take up a lot of time getting everyone on the bus. I've learned to just take taxi service.

I've been perusing this thread, but this made me decide to post :goodvibes

My husband and I got married in WDW in July of 2007. In April, my Grandma found out she had to have heart surgery. We were so worried for her, but she came through super. We then began to worry about her being in Florida in July for our wedding a mere 2-2.5 months after her surgery. Her doctors cleared her with flying colors and we were overjoyed she was going to get to share our day with us! The one condition, she had to have a wheelchair for the parks. The bus drivers also insisted that the party with the person in the wheelchair had to load through the back door with the chair. I cannot even begin to tell you how many nasty looks, eye rolls, huffs, etc.. we got from people. It was heartbreaking to feel so excited to be getting married and to have my Grandma there happy and healthy and to deal with people acting that way. I completely feel for you, and I'm so happy your Mum had the time of her life :goodvibes

What a lovely story - so glad that not only did you get married at the most magical place on earth, Grandma was able to share that momentous occasion. Thank you for sharing :goodvibes

The things I'm reading on this thread are very disheartening. :confused3

The lack of compassion and respect for other people is absolutely ridiculous.

When I mention "other people" i'm talking about everyone. People with disabilities, people with children, and even those people that are being referred to as "idiots" and all the other types of people that you can imagine. Yourself and myself included.

Unless someone is BLATANTLY holding up a bus on purpose I highly doubt anyone wants to inconvenience anyone by choice... even if they are ignorant to the various "protocols" on taking a bus. Some people just genuinely don't know what do to, some people might be stressed out by the whole situation of boarding a bus with a wheelchair, ECV or stroller.

People just don't care about anyone else but themselves anymore. And it shows on this thread. :(

Seems like if the busses were on time and had plenty of room this would be a non-issue.

When I mention "other people" i'm talking about everyone. People with disabilities, people with children, and even those people that are being referred to as "idiots" and all the other types of people that you can imagine. Yourself and myself included.

Unless someone is BLATANTLY holding up a bus on purpose I highly doubt anyone wants to inconvenience anyone by choice... even if they are ignorant to the various "protocols" on taking a bus. Some people just genuinely don't know what do to, some people might be stressed out by the whole situation of boarding a bus with a wheelchair, ECV or stroller.

People just don't care about anyone else but themselves anymore. And it shows on this thread. :(

::yes::

You are absolutely right. Thank you for your post :goodvibes

I agree that during peak seasons, Disney should have busses that are specifically designed to transport people in wheelchairs. This is the ONLY reason we stopped going to CBR. With all those bus stops throughout the resort, it could take you a VERY long time just to get out! I really felt bad for the people with disabilities. Oftentimes, they need to get from POINT A to POINT B much sooner than we do!

Seems like if the busses were on time and had plenty of room this would be a non-issue.
On time is moot, given that there is no bus schedule. While buses ideally arrive every twenty minutes during peak times and every thirty minutes during off-peak times, various outside influences can affect this. While waiting for a bus at SSR once, we could see a loooooonnnnng line of buses out on the road, not moving, hoping to someday get to Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon. Accident.

There are some articulated (long, flexible) buses coming - so they'll hold more people. But given thenumber of people traveling with small children, and the extra time involved in refusing access to people with strollers (and the resulting potential claims of discrimination), "anything"-free buses aren't happening.

I worked in municipal mass transit for six years as part of the vehicle acquisition team. Disney's transportation system is private; however, it does not exempt them from ADA requirements.

I have never used the Disney system, so I am not sure if their bus manufacturer's lift or kneeling system is one of the more expedient ones.

Being knowledgable of the system and mechanism and courteous can go a long way in assisting the driver/operator and rider in need of assistance. Get out of the way, be quiet and patient.

However, to be fair, those in need of assistance and their travel companions can also be courteous by becoming familiar with the transportation system and vehicles and be prepared to bored when the vehicle arrives.

The same can be said for those with strollers, especially those that are large and difficult to break down and store. Be fair and courteous to your fellow passengers. Be as prepared to board as you possibly can be. Be familiar with your equipment, prepare your personal items to minimize your gathering time and take your child/children on bus ride or two at home (if possible) before your first attempt in the over stimulated atmosphere if a Disney park.

Best to all on your travels!

We went in Sept, our first trip since 2003. I was taken back by how many ECV's there were. In 2003, I can remember maybe 1 a day getting on or off the bus. This trip, every bus we took had at least 1 and usually 2 ECV's. That add's 20 minutes to any bus ride with the loading and unloading. It seems like Disney need's seperate busses for ECV's, there's that many.

To load my wheelchair and tie it down takes less than 5 minutes. I am offloaded after all passengers are off the buss so that adds nothing to your time. Normally buses take 2 chairs or ECVs so 10 minutes to load. Not 20 minutes at all.
As to separate buses, that is not equal access. It is unacceptible and against ADA.

As someone who uses a wheelchair but CAN walk some distances we wait in line with the wheel chair and carry it on. (it is a transport chair, folds up and is lightweight) You would be surprised how many times we get on the bus with the chair and it is standing room only and NO ONE offers their seat.NOTE that I realize it is my choice to board the bus and have indeed waited for a less crowded bus when my ankle is bothering me and I need a seat. Just think it is ironic when people could easily put a child on their lap and offer a seat. But that is part of the deal.

As to strollers though, these huge ones whether from rentals or not, are really out of control. We've experienced parents struggling with them, and I have to ask if it is really worth it? How about buying a couple of inexpensive umbrella strollers and using those? I think most kiddos would be just fine and it is easier to transport on buses and to those around you who it bangs into as you carry it on the bus. Would really make it easier on everyone and as for the big ones being able to hold so much, really how much do you need that a backpack won't hold? (assuming no special needs of course). Thinking back when mine were young, it was so much easier to travel lighter. Might help some folks to rethink what they really do need for a day at the parks.

One separate but equal system worked out quite well until Disney decided to tinker with it. The front of each bus was for "regular" folks and a portion of the back of the bus (where the ramp or lift and wider door was) was for "disabled" folks.

Stuns me that folks spend thousands on wdw trips but will not pay $20/day for a rental car. Nothing could put our family at the mercy of being bussed around during vacation.

It's not 20$.
I have 3 kids, all of them use carseats. That means I have to get a minivan.
MInivans are in the 60$ range. Plus the childseat rentals, add 25$ a day EACH!

So for now, I will stay with the busses, thank you very much!

I was also wondering where you can rent a car in Orlando for $20 a day.

I don't have an issue with why people use ECVs or strollers, I do have an issue when they think that they are more privledged then me being on my own two feet.

ECV people who hold the bus up arguing because the bus will only hold 2...and when 3 are waiting....sorry...but I think that is a waste of time and breath for an arguement. The driver can't change the bus on site to hold 3 ECVs. Someone will have to wait.

Running into the back of my legs with a stroller to get me to move will only result in some choice words coming out of my mouth! Sorry your children may hear them, but it HURTS!

THESE are the people I loathe when ride the buses....

We were there during a busy week last summer,took the buses everywhere, and had no problems beyond the usual annoyances you have when a lot of people are contained together.

Then again, I take the city bus everywhere at home, and so it's business as usual for me. I think some people who aren't used to public transportation get overwhelmed themselves, and also end up inadvertently getting in other people's way, too.

My dad uses an ECV when we go to WDW because he had a stroke 10 years ago and has limited mobility. We wait at the spot that is designated for handicapped folks and it does take him time to get on and off the bus because he gets so nervous that he's holding everyone up and everyone's looking at him when he's trying to back on to the bus and he's trying to hurry...I feel bad for him because he's trying so hard to hurry and then he misses cutting the wheels the way he should and he gets embarressed. The bus drivers are always fabulous though and patient with him.

Thankfully we've never had any bad experiences with people being impatient with him. And because we all get on when he gets on I feel bad that other people have to wait in line and it seems like we're cutting so I never take a seat until the bus is loaded.

I don't even mind the strollers because I feel like for the most part people are trying to do their best juggling kids and items they are carrying plus strollers. The only thing that annoys me is when people have young kids that could fit on their laps and there are clearly older people standing who should be given a seat.

Overall we haven't had bad experiences with the bus system - so far! We'll have a rental car and I can't decide if I want to try to use it at the parks or not. Probably won't for MK but may for Epcot and HS. We're at AKL so may take the bus for AK. We'll see though!

I really do not care why the buses are slow.

However, I have to say I was very disappointed with the bus service this time. Last time I was at Disney buses were pretty much perfect. I didn't have a place to sit most of the time when returning from the parks, but not once did I wait more than 20 minutes for a bus.

That was on June, 2010. Parks were extremely crowded, wait times were horrible, and yet I had no issues with the buses. I even got to sit most of the time when going TO the parks.

This October however, was absolutely horrible. It made me seriously reconsider wanting to stay on site again. Before this trip, off site wasn't even an option. This trip however I had to wait at least 30 minutes for most buses. Sometimes I waited close to an hour, at times that I would consider peak times (9 am going to MK on a EHM morning or at night near the start of a evening EMH).

Sure ECVs take long, but who cares, that's not the real problem, IMO. It's that they don't send enough buses.

And BTW, this time wait times were extremely manageable, leading me to think parks were way less crowded than on the previous trip I mentioned. The parks and buses felt more crowded for some reason, but the wait times did not reflect that. That was also strange.

The horrible bus service and the fact that they are decreasing the EMH, leaves me wondering why I should even bother staying on site. Yes, I will pay for parking if I stay off site...but I will also likely spend way less money on accomodations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter