Here's our reviews

BurleyGirl

DIS Veteran
Got back from our magical stay on Sat evening (the 25th).

Here's where we ate and what we thought. (I found that just reading the opinions of other ordinary people like me helped in my decision-making process, so hopefully, my opinions will help others.)

I was not overly impressed with any of the food at WDW. I had printed the menus from Deb Wills' site, so I knew what to expect, and that helped alot!! The other members of our party (six adults, one child) were impressed--I'm just a really picky person.

Sun evening, 19th We had a PS at Chef Mickey's for 6:30p. We were seated within 10 min of our PS. The place was packed. The characters all came around, except for Pluto whom you have to go to. The food was mediocre, in my opinion. I was so looking forward to the parmesan mashed potatoes, took one bite, and did not eat anymore. They had a funny flavor, and I like parmesan. None of the desserts were that great to me--again, a funny flavor. Kind of like they were all mass-produced and what you could get from a grocery store. The character interaction was good.

Mon-MK. We had an 8:05PS for Crystal Palace. We were again seated within 10-15 min. Again, it was packed! The food here was very good--eggs were done just right, and the french toast puffs were excellent. (I guess upon reflection, this was my favorite meal.) The characters made the rounds, and we very much enjoyed this place. Lunch was a hotdog at the stand by Frontierland--my group said it was the best hotdog (but maybe they were just tired and hungry--it certainly smelled good--cost $4.00, but was very good size) Dinner was at Captain Cook's at the Poly. We had chicken strips and hamburgers, which were both good. (By the way, Captain Cook's french fries were the best of all the places we ate--they're the crinkle cut kind, and were always cooked just right--very yummy!) I also tried one of their cupcakes, but only took a couple of bites (again, not worth wasting my calories!)

Tue-AK. Breakfast at Tusker House. Most of our group had the egg platter, which they said was very good. I had the cinnamon roll, and it was nothing extraordinary (in fact, I didn't finish it as I didn't want to waste my calories on it). Upon leaving, I noticed they had a different cinnamon item at the little bakery, and perhaps that would have been better-it looked better! Dinner was at Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge. I had heard good things about this place, and it did not disappoint! Four of our group had the skillet, and loved all of it. My mom had the nachos, and said they were good, and my son had the mac and cheese and fries, and only liked the fries. I had their chicken pasta dish without the chicken and vegetables, and it was just o.k. (They still charged me $16.99 for this dish, even without the chicken, so I paid $17 to eat noodles in sauce). Oh well, the atmosphere was definitely worth it. I asked upon checking in for a fun waiter, as I read that this place is a drag if you're just looking on and not joining in. We were given a great waitress, and she had us rolling many times!! The entire group decided this was their favorite place--highly recommend it.

Wed-MGM. The group had breakfast at the ABC Commissary, and they enjoyed it. I checked out Starring Rolls Bakery, and after standing in a 5 min line, decided it all looked mass-produced and grocery store quality, so I didn't chance wasting my money or my calories. Lunch was a 12:45PS at Prime Time, and we again enjoyed this meal. Our waitress was very into her roll, and that added to the meal's enjoyment. We had the pot roast (it was good, but not great), the meatloaf (husband liked it), the chicken pot pie (SIS ordered it but said the chicken tasted funny, so she switched with hubby for the meatloaf, who did not complain about the chicken), the fried chicken (very good and tender). We then had the Smores and a PBJ shake for dessert. I would not order the Smores again--nothing special, but that PB&J shake was terrific. I would eat here again. Dinner was Casey's at the MK, and although I did not eat, the group said their hotdogs were good.

Thurs-MK and Epcot. We had breakfast at the Main Street Bakery at the MK. We tried the french toast loaf, and while it was good, parts of it were soggy, and that kind of turned me off. Had lunch at the Sunshine Food Court at Epcot--I was watching my son bake cookies, so I don't know what they had and can't report on that. (The cookie baking was fun, though.) Dinner was at Beaches and Cream. Again, I anticipated this place to be very good, and it was just o.k. We used Q&C vouchers. I would not eat here again.

Fri-Poly and MNSHHP. We had lunch at Captain Hook's (again, love those fries). We went to MK at 4:30p and had intended on eating there during the MNSHHP. I wanted to eat at Columbia Harbor House, as I'd read some good things about it, and was tired of chicken and burgers. However, it was not open that night! Bummer--had to re-think our itinerary. It was crowded, and by the time we wanted to eat, we were in Tomorrowland, and about the only option was Cosmic Ray's. We had the steak sub, which looked good, and those that ordered enjoyed (I tried to order it without the onions, but they said it is pre-made with the onions in it), so I had to get the chicken strips (kind of sick of them by now, and not what I had my heart set on). I would not eat here again. (We sat outside by the castle, and although the view was great, the smell from the water down below smelled like a fish tank that had'nt been cleaned in weeks!)

Sat-MK. Ate breakfast at Kona Cafe. (I did not, but the group did, and they enjoyed it.) Ordered the Big Kahuna (which is quite large, and a good value). Lunch was at Columbia Harbor House, and the fish was just o.k. Others ordered the clam chowder bowl, and they liked it.

The best thing that I had all week was the strawberry cheesecake from Main Street Bakery (had it twice). It was very creamy and the only thing that really tempted me the entire trip. Main Street also had some decorated Halloween cookies (three to a bag for $5.99) and I got a bag for my son--they were o.k. to me--he liked them.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Thanks for the details.

Since WDW is feeding many thousands of people every day, I don't see how they can avoid making things that look "mass produced."

I understand. I'm just saying that alot of people raved about some of these things, and they were not extraordinary to me--not any better than I could buy at a local grocery store bakery. I wish I would have gotten to try the Boardwalk Bakery, as that's a real bakery and perhaps would have been great!

Most of your meals were either at a character meal/buffet or a counter service place. Neither are really known for great food. The really good restuarants at WDW are the higher end sit down restaurants at the resorts, DTD and a few in the parks.
I think you would have been pleasantly surprised if you had tried some of the pasteries from Starrng Rolls, they are actually quite good. The pasteries at the BW bakery and the bakery in France are exceptionally good.

Sharing your reviews and hey if we all agreed on everything this would be a boring old place.You got call em like you see (ate)em.::yes:: :wave2:

Thnaks for the honest reviews! I think I will give Chrystal Palace another chance since you liked it.

I agree with ya'll that the restaurants we tried were not exactly higher end restaurants, and I would have liked to try some of those, and would have probably been impressed with their food. (However, when three family's incomes are involved, your choices are limited.)

One added comment, we did have desserts at the Boulangerie in France at Epcot (I was typing this report at work on my first day back and trying to be quick about it as I had a ton of stuff waiting for my attention), and those were very, very good. Brought back fond memories of mornings in Paris. We had the Napolean, and the Creme Puff which was huge and you should have seen my DS4's eyes when we brought it to the table!

I also later thought more about my "mass-produced" comment and how I probably would be misunderstood on that one--it wasn't that I fault Disney for the mass-production of their stuff (as how else could it be done), but was trying to convey that the flavors did not stand out as anything special (as I had hoped), and was trying to give an honest opinion. Would I still go to Chef Mickey's or some of the others? You bet--the atmosphere is sometimes what it's all about!

Hope you all enjoy your dining choices, and that every bite you take is worth every calorie!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter