HHI during low point seasons?

travelbug

DIS Veteran
It seems like a stay at HHI during the Adventure or Choice seasons could easily mean some pretty chilly weather. Just wondering what there would be to do at the resort or in the area if the weather wouldn't lend itself to typical outdoor stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on how easy/hard it might be to book at HHI 7 months out, if trying for either Adventure or Choice season?

TIA! :)

We went one year in March for Easter. It wasn't warm enough for the beach. We rode bikes. Took a dolphin cruise. Enjoyed a little outlet shopping. Relaxed in the room and take advantage of some of the resort activities. I enjoyed the campfire.

We went one year in March for Easter. It wasn't warm enough for the beach. We rode bikes. Took a dolphin cruise. Enjoyed a little outlet shopping. Relaxed in the room and take advantage of some of the resort activities. I enjoyed the campfire.
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you had a fun and relaxing stay. Love the idea of a dolphin cruise!

Anyone else been to HHI in the cooler months?

It seems like a stay at HHI during the Adventure or Choice seasons could easily mean some pretty chilly weather. Just wondering what there would be to do at the resort or in the area if the weather wouldn't lend itself to typical outdoor stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on how easy/hard it might be to book at HHI 7 months out, if trying for either Adventure or Choice season?

TIA! :)
Other than the holidays and March, you likely won't have much issues for 7 months out. Early Dec and Jan to mid Feb should be the easiest. HH is very seasonal. One can rent a 2 BR condo beachfront for around $800 for much of that time. It does matter in part what unit type one is looking at since most of the units there are 2 BR.

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like you had a fun and relaxing stay. Love the idea of a dolphin cruise!

Anyone else been to HHI in the cooler months?

We have been to (and enjoyed) HH many times during cooler months. While a lot of the "usual" activities may be outdoor weather related there are many options even during bad weather with galleries, museums and boutique shops to explore.

You can take a trip into nearby Bluffton's Old Town for some history, go to the Coastal Discovery Museum on Hilton Head. The Arts Center of Coastal Carolina (within walking distance of the resort) offers broadway production shows throughout the year as well as a number of smaller productions and there are exhibits of local culture in the gallery at the center. The Broadway productions are very good with lead roles filled by Actors Equity performers and local residents filling in the chorus roles. "9 to 5" is playing soon.

A day trip into Savannah (45 minutes away) or Charleston (2 hours) can offer nice options if the weather is not conducive for a Dolphin Watch tour, kayaking, paddle boarding, parasailing, crabbing or fishing (which can all be done right from the resort or the Shelter Cove Marina). HH has miles and miles (and miles) of paved bike trails all over the island and it is fun to explore the area by bike. Down in Sea Pines (minimal auto pass charge) you can visit the lighthouse, more galleries, tour the ruins of the old Stoney - Baynard plantation (this can be done by bike too), visit the oyster mounds in the Lawton area (another bike option), check out the Salty Dog Cafe - all within Sea Pines. In addition, golf and/or tennis is readily available at the many venues available all over the island. Near the resort are a couple of mini-golf courses and there are also theaters within a couple of miles.

The resort itself offers a wide variety of recreational activities for all ages so be sure to check out the activities list when you arrive.

One over looked activity often missed with all of the other options is ... just relaxing with a good book in your villa or in Big Murgies Den (also check out the old photos in the Den as there are some recognizable people in some of those). Ask the front desk for a list of Hidden Mickeys to look for around the resort - there are many along with reference to past and current Disney characters (both animated and real).

Here is a list of 101 things to do at Hilton Head.

We have been at the resort in January/February when highs were in the 40s and times when the highs have been near 80 - and that can change from one day to the next (so be prepared!). Reservations at HH during the cooler months are readily available at 7 months and point costs are a real bargain compared to summer.

Have a great stay. :)

June thru August is nearly impossible to book at Disney's resort at 7 months. Spring break time hard at 7 months too and weather is iffy.

I like it hot at HH as most activities I like are warm weather activities. HH is a laid back place with not of a lot of exciting things to do if you do not like Golf or water activities.

If you like shopping, strolling, and restaurants as a main activity, the off season is fine.

Other than the holidays and March, you likely won't have much issues for 7 months out. Early Dec and Jan to mid Feb should be the easiest. HH is very seasonal. One can rent a 2 BR condo beachfront for around $800 for much of that time. It does matter in part what unit type one is looking at since most of the units there are 2 BR.
Good to know that 7 months out is at least a decent possibility for the lowest point times. While this is just a hypothetical scenario at this point, I'd like to seriously look at doing this in the next year or two. I'd love to book a 2BR and invite family to join me. I'm amazed by how far the points go in the off season.

We have been to (and enjoyed) HH many times during cooler months. While a lot of the "usual" activities may be outdoor weather related there are many options even during bad weather with galleries, museums and boutique shops to explore.

You can take a trip into nearby Bluffton's Old Town for some history, go to the Coastal Discovery Museum on Hilton Head. The Arts Center of Coastal Carolina (within walking distance of the resort) offers broadway production shows throughout the year as well as a number of smaller productions and there are exhibits of local culture in the gallery at the center. The Broadway productions are very good with lead roles filled by Actors Equity performers and local residents filling in the chorus roles. "9 to 5" is playing soon.

A day trip into Savannah (45 minutes away) or Charleston (2 hours) can offer nice options if the weather is not conducive for a Dolphin Watch tour, kayaking, paddle boarding, parasailing, crabbing or fishing (which can all be done right from the resort or the Shelter Cove Marina). HH has miles and miles (and miles) of paved bike trails all over the island and it is fun to explore the area by bike. Down in Sea Pines (minimal auto pass charge) you can visit the lighthouse, more galleries, tour the ruins of the old Stoney - Baynard plantation (this can be done by bike too), visit the oyster mounds in the Lawton area (another bike option), check out the Salty Dog Cafe - all within Sea Pines. In addition, golf and/or tennis is readily available at the many venues available all over the island. Near the resort are a couple of mini-golf courses and there are also theaters within a couple of miles.

The resort itself offers a wide variety of recreational activities for all ages so be sure to check out the activities list when you arrive.

One over looked activity often missed with all of the other options is ... just relaxing with a good book in your villa or in Big Murgies Den (also check out the old photos in the Den as there are some recognizable people in some of those). Ask the front desk for a list of Hidden Mickeys to look for around the resort - there are many along with reference to past and current Disney characters (both animated and real).

Here is a list of 101 things to do at Hilton Head.

We have been at the resort in January/February when highs were in the 40s and times when the highs have been near 80 - and that can change from one day to the next (so be prepared!). Reservations at HH during the cooler months are readily available at 7 months and point costs are a real bargain compared to summer.

Have a great stay. :)
Wow, thank you SO MUCH for all of the wonderful information! This is incredibly helpful and I love all the specifics. It makes me want to go right now! I'm very grateful that you took the time to pass along so much info. Thank you, Doc!

June thru August is nearly impossible to book at Disney's resort at 7 months. Spring break time hard at 7 months too and weather is iffy.

I like it hot at HH as most activities I like are warm weather activities. HH is a laid back place with not of a lot of exciting things to do if you do not like Golf or water activities.

If you like shopping, strolling, and restaurants as a main activity, the off season is fine.
I do enjoy warm weather activities (well, not golf ;)), though I don't do well in extreme heat and humidity. In this case, I'm looking at the possibility of going there in the off season mainly to explore the area and just relax. I've never been to that part of SC, nor to Savannah nearby, so I'm thinking I'd like to give it a try at a time when my points would go a long way there and when I could hopefully find availability at 7 months.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! They were all helpful. :)

From someone who hates the searing heat, HHI in off season is great but can be tricky. We have visited twice in October, the first was beautiful, mid 70s weather. The second time was that transition/stormy period between season changes.

We have had to book at exactly 7 months though. Tried to ad on a day last year and our wait list never came through.

what months are good for golf and not good for golf?:cool1:

If I were DH, he'd say "EVERY month is good for golf at HHI!":good vibes He's golfed during November, February, March, and April, and they were all good-most of the time! However, in November, over the many years, he's had a few "frost delays"-when he makes a tee time around 8:00, but then he has to wait until around 9:00 because of frost on the greens. And a couple times, it has been so cold, rainy or icy, and windy that he cancelled (once was at Harbourtown, which he was really looking forward to, so you know it was bad that day!) It used to be that the rates jumped up in March (I don't know now) so you might want to watch that.

As far as what to do, we're two adults so your interests may vary if you have kids. However, I went on the dolphin watch tour in February, although I was freezing by the time we got back! However, we DID see dolphins. The resort activities go on all year round, even if hardly anyone shows up. I've done more than one activity where I've had a private "guide" because no one else showed up. There's a checker table and billiards table in Big Murgies Den that gets a lot of activity off season. In the fall and spring, we've biked over to the beach house and watched dolphins in the ocean. The CS over there is open at lunch time. And there's always just sitting in Big Murgie's den sipping warm apple cider and nibbling cranberry nut cookies. We've only gone to HHI during the off-season and not once have we complained "Gee, there's nothing to do today!"

We were there for new years week in 2012-2013. We were there with two friends and their 2 year old son.
It was chilly most days, but we always had something to do.

The biggest adjustment for us was learning to eat an early lunch, because it gets too dark to grill.

I chilled out with B'Lou one evening on his way home for the day.

He went to get in his vehicle but he said he couldn't pass up watching the sun set over the marsh, so he took the time to hang out while the sun was setting and I was grilling. He is so awesome!

After the little one went to bed each evening, we spent HOURS playing games and just catching up! (They used to be our neighbors, but moved for Med School residency)

We spent the afternoon at the beach one day, we went swimming one evening, and just spent time around the resort. We had such an amazing time, we may do it again this coming year, not sure yet though.

If you can think of a million ways to entertain yourself (movies, hammock and reading, time by the fire, taking walks, visiting galleries etc etc) you will have no trouble at all spending VERY little money.

We loved our winter week there, and will definitely spend a great deal of time there in the winter in our retirement years which are MANY years ahead! HAHA

We loved our winter week there, and will definitely spend a great deal of time there in the winter in our retirement years which are MANY years ahead! HAHA

Our first trip to HH was in 1979. We came with 3 other couples to play tennis for a long weekend. On that trip, my DW stated that she tought she could enjoy retiring at HH. We have returned almost every year since - for many years HH was our Spring Break destination with our daughters.

We purchased at the DVC HH resort in 1995 - when the resort was just pouring foundations and everything was a hard hat area. HH opened in 1996.

We enjoyed the Palmetto Dunes/Shelter Cove area so much, we purchased a quartershare (13 weeks) in 2006 - just across the harbour from the DVC resort. 3 years later we purchased another quartershare at the same resort - giving us 26 weeks plus the DVC points we owned (and still do). When the real estate market tanked in 2008 - 2010, we decided it was a great opportunity to purchase a condo - still within Shelter Cove and right across from the DVC resort. We look at Buildings 19, 21, 25 and 28 from our living room every day - less than 100 yards away and can hear the music from the pool in the afternoons.

I was able to retire on December 31, 2013 and we arrived at HH on 1/1/14 and we will be here at least another 3 weeks - for our first of (we hope) many winters here at HH. Our daughters, DSILs and grand children love to spend a week most summers so we get either a GV or two 2BRs for them at the DVC resort when they come. We have yet to find a boring day, as each day has been better than yesterday!

Spending the winter in HH during retirement is a wonderful and achievable dream - keep that dream alive! :teeth:

Doc, we have seen several of the quartershare units across from the resort!
HAHA

We tried to get in at Hilton Head for a few summers and never had any luck, so decided to buy points there. We were fortunate to get a GREAT price on points there before the resale changes took effect. We had to be among the last few contracts to go through before the change.

We have spent three weeks there, and a few nights going back and fourth to WDW over the last couple years.

We LOVE the Grand Villas - they are so spacious! This will be our 2nd trip there for a week in a Grand Villa - we took my middle brother, his wife, and their son a year before last - and they fell in LOVE with the resort! We are taking both of my older brothers this time, along with their kids, and my Dad and his lady friend. There will be 12 of us - so it will be a packed house! 8 adults and 4 kids!

We will be there in mid-late July and everyone in the family is getting so excited!

Thanks for encouraging me to dream!
I have a sign in my office that says "We create our tomorrows by dreaming today!"

We have been several times in the winter months and I have to say it is not our favorite time to visit HHI. The area is basically shutdown. I remember one evening we were at the resort and it was foggy and I felt like we were the only people staying there. Entire buildings with no lights on at all. You could walk across the entire resort area and see no one. Kind of spooky really. When going out to eat, I remember we went to San Miguels and were the only customers in the restaurant. But then again if you like peace and quite and just relaxing in your room it might be perfect for you. Our favorite time to visit is either May-early June or September-October.

what would you do if rain was in the forecast for your entire HHI vacation? Cancel or are there still things to do?

Our first trip to HH was in 1979. We came with 3 other couples to play tennis for a long weekend. On that trip, my DW stated that she tought she could enjoy retiring at HH. We have returned almost every year since - for many years HH was our Spring Break destination with our daughters.

We purchased at the DVC HH resort in 1995 - when the resort was just pouring foundations and everything was a hard hat area. HH opened in 1996.

We enjoyed the Palmetto Dunes/Shelter Cove area so much, we purchased a quartershare (13 weeks) in 2006 - just across the harbour from the DVC resort. 3 years later we purchased another quartershare at the same resort - giving us 26 weeks plus the DVC points we owned (and still do). When the real estate market tanked in 2008 - 2010, we decided it was a great opportunity to purchase a condo - still within Shelter Cove and right across from the DVC resort. We look at Buildings 19, 21, 25 and 28 from our living room every day - less than 100 yards away and can hear the music from the pool in the afternoons.

I was able to retire on December 31, 2013 and we arrived at HH on 1/1/14 and we will be here at least another 3 weeks - for our first of (we hope) many winters here at HH. Our daughters, DSILs and grand children love to spend a week most summers so we get either a GV or two 2BRs for them at the DVC resort when they come. We have yet to find a boring day, as each day has been better than yesterday!

Spending the winter in HH during retirement is a wonderful and achievable dream - keep that dream alive! :teeth:

And you're living my dream! Check your PMS.

Sounds awesome Doc!! Enjoy!! DH and I have also talked about future plans of spending time in HHI during retirement! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter