HHI for the disabled

STLDisney_Freak

Proud Marching Band, Winter Guard, Choir Mom
Can anyone tell me what the resort grounds are like? My father is in a wheel chair and is disabled. He can walk a little, but barely. We are trying to find a location to take my dad on vacation and we own at HHI but have never been there yet.

Can anyone tell me what the resort grounds are like? My father is in a wheel chair and is disabled. He can walk a little, but barely. We are trying to find a location to take my dad on vacation and we own at HHI but have never been there yet.

The island itself is very flat. The resort has asphalt walking paths that are fairly wide all around the resort. The accessible rooms are in the Live Oak Lodge. All the outer buildings have steps/stairs to get to the rooms. The beach house also has an elevator to get up to the pool area.

We go to HHI several times a year.

You MUST call to confirm that you will be placed in an accessible room. As the previous post says, all of the HA rooms are in the Lodge.

All of the buildings except the lodge are 4-6' off the ground.

All of the Disney resorts now have lifts at the pool.

If you need a room with a roll in shower, make sure to request that.

HA does not mean roll in shower across the board.

If he has a power chair, he could really have a blast around the island with all of the bike paths! Just make sure his battery is charging at full capacity - or rent one if you don't want to expose yours to salt and sand!

The shopping area across from the resort isn't so accessible. The stores are very small, and for the most part very packed with racks and displays.

Parking can be a challenge around the lodge, and parking under the lodge can be a little tight for larger vehicles.

The paths around the resort are relatively smooth, as are the bike paths around the island.

Thank you both for your help. I appreciate it. Mom and I really wanna get him out of the house soon. He has had a rough year and half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter