*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Picked up a waitlist in a studio for a one night stay on my return trip (from Disney) end of March. This is out of my way by 45 minutes driving time, and I'm really hoping to check out a newly refurbed studio.

I just put in this waitlist less than a week ago and didn't expect it to come through. I'd been following this thread for updates on which buildings were in progress or complete. Stayed there for 2 nights early December 2023 but the studio had not been updated. It was in good condition despite all the reports of being outdated.

Anyone been there in the last few days with an update? I'm aware of what was happening through most of February so looking for very recent experience.

Just a comment on the old style: that's pretty much what those of us who bought in when this resort was new were happy to buy. The rustic style appealed. I often wish that more of the older character of the rooms could have been saved at the same time as updating the practical aspects such as getting the murphy beds, upgrading the bath and plumbing, kitchen range and granite. I go to Disney for the Mickey Mouse appeal and like a certain amount to be subtle in DHHIR's decor, but over all I want the Low Country feel, dogs, fishing, crabbing and bird watching. I think the style is getting too far away from that.

That said I'm very happy another elevator has been installed.

Was starting to plan for my upcoming trip end of March/early July. I'm wondering if anyone has done any dolphin tours while visiting? Are you able to see dolphins at the beach or would it make more sense to do one of these tours? Thanks all!

Was starting to plan for my upcoming trip end of March/early July. I'm wondering if anyone has done any dolphin tours while visiting? Are you able to see dolphins at the beach or would it make more sense to do one of these tours? Thanks all!
I've been able to see dolphins from the beach but I usually go in mid August.

I've seen dolphin from the beach and it's fun, to see them swimming along but usually they are too far to see well. I did see some in December. I've seen them fairly up close right at the resort but this is not that often and not that recent.

Taking a tour is usually the best way to get the best view and best pictures. The tours know where to go to find them.

I've been able to see dolphins from the beach but I usually go in mid August.

Take a tour. Disney has some right from the resort, but the island has many tour operators. For Summer, you'll want reservations (you always want reservations, but in Summer things sell out).

I've seen dolphin from the beach and it's fun, to see them swimming along but usually they are too far to see well. I did see some in December. I've seen them fairly up close right at the resort but this is not that often and not that recent.

Taking a tour is usually the best way to get the best view and best pictures. The tours know where to go to find them.
I agree the tour is the best way to do it; however, kayaking from Shelter Cove (there is a place to rent them) usually will give you an opportunity to see them, as well. Still, if you want to pretty much guarantee seeing them, take a tour. pirate:

I agree the tour is the best way to do it; however, kayaking from Shelter Cove (there is a place to rent them) usually will give you an opportunity to see them, as well. Still, if you want to pretty much guarantee seeing them, take a tour. pirate:
I did the kayak tour that HHI offers and saw a ton of dolphins. I would recommend it. I think they do the tour twice a week (or at least they did when I was there) and it was a fairly small group.

With there only being 5 Grand Villas (if my information is right) and the points being so low (understand it’s off season for a reason), are the Grand Villas hard or impossible to book at 7 months for around Dec. 26 - Jan. 3? Essentially right after Christmas.

We are going to HHI for the first time the last week in March. We have a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know if the 2 bedroom renovations are complete? I’m not sure if they are scattered throughout the property or just in specific buildings.

With there only being 5 Grand Villas (if my information is right) and the points being so low (understand it’s off season for a reason), are the Grand Villas hard or impossible to book at 7 months for around Dec. 26 - Jan. 3? Essentially right after Christmas.
Yes, they are difficult to snag that time of year at the 7-month point. In fact, the GVs are the toughest room to get year round.
We are going to HHI for the first time the last week in March. We have a 2 bedroom. Does anyone know if the 2 bedroom renovations are complete? I’m not sure if they are scattered throughout the property or just in specific buildings.
They aren't completely done yet, though I believe they are getting close. The resort has 21 buildings. Of those, 19 have four 2BRs units. The only buildings that do not have dedicated 2BRs are 11 and 12. With the resort nearing the end of the renovations to buildings 13 to 31, odds are you'll probably get a renovated 2BR. I think maybe that answers your question? pirate:

Heading to HHI in April, and I would like to do a River Cruise excursion in Savannah. Has anyone done one? Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks!

In an amazing stroke of good fortune, my waitlist for one night in a studio this Friday came through this morning! On the way down to the World for a short, non-park stay before visiting family in Melbourne, and I'd booked a room in Brunswick, GA, to be safe. Been on the waitlist for months for the HHI studio, and boom! So, for all those out there who hold out hope for waitlists, minor miracles can happen. pirate:

If you are in one of the buildings set back on the resort from the parking lot, how is the process of getting all your items to your room? Is this all done at the main building through bell services instead?

In an amazing stroke of good fortune, my waitlist for one night in a studio this Friday came through this morning! On the way down to the World for a short, non-park stay before visiting family in Melbourne, and I'd booked a room in Brunswick, GA, to be safe. Been on the waitlist for months for the HHI studio, and boom! So, for all those out there who hold out hope for waitlists, minor miracles can happen. pirate:
I feel you!!! We wanted to add on Easter Sunday and my 2 bedroom just came thru! Yes!!

Anyone see Chip and Dale recently or any other characters making appearances at the resort?

If you are in one of the buildings set back on the resort from the parking lot, how is the process of getting all your items to your room? Is this all done at the main building through bell services instead?
There is no bell service at the resort. As mentioned above, there are large wooden carts at various points around the resort (most located near the path entrances from parking lot to the buildings), thus it's a haul-your-own type of thing. That being said, if you're unable to move your own luggage and supplies to the room due to mobility issues, health restraints (e.g., bad back), or the like, simply mention it at check-in or call the front desk, and they can arrange for a CM (most likely a housekeeping assistant) to come help you. Trust me--they have the best CMs anywhere. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter