Hibiscus - Do I need to bring it in?

skuttle

DIS Veteran
I bought a hibiscus over the summer and have managed to keep it alive! :cool1: Now that colder weather is approaching, I'm not sure what I need to do to keep it alive. I live in South Louisiana, so it doesn't get *too* cold here, but in Jan/Feb we do have some freezing temps at times. At what temp do I need to bring in the hibiscus? I wish I could just put it in the garage, but I don't think that would work because of the lack of light, right?

What have you done?

Years ago, we would get a "live, to plant" Christmas tree, and it would stay in our unheated garage for months before the ground was thawed enough to put the tree in. Many of these trees made it and are huge now. So, I don't think the lack of light in a garage for a month or so would cause major harm.

Bobbi:goodvibes

It's actually stayed outside so far. It hasn't gotten too cold yet...no freeze warnings yet so it's been outside. It's still blooming, actually. It's not as full as it during the warmer months, but it still has some leaves.

My MIL brings in her hibiscus plants and she lives in CA. I think they come in the house on the really cold nights. Hibiscus' love the warmth and are very sensitive to cold snaps. My MIL sent us one and its 29 degrees now outside. Sure the plant is inside, but it's not looking well. There are about three leaves left :confused: :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter