High efficiency Washer?

Pooh2

Dis Veteran
Need a quick replacement for a washer that died a sudden death.
It was 15 years old.
Do the HE washers clean as well as the old fashion with agitator??

First, Speed Queen, still makes a regular, style top loader. It uses more water but has been very dependable. My neighbor replaced a front loader HE machine that just couldn't handle the amount of laundry they do, with a Speed Queen and love it. We have had 2 front loaders that are HE. The Whirlpool lasted 10 years, currently have an LG Front loader. We like it very much. There is a learning curve to using a HE washer. It uses less water, so it is important to follow the soap & additive recommendations (using much less). Our LG has a door magnet that leaves the door open a little when empty so as to "air out" the drum and stop mold. We find our clothes, towels and bedding all come out clean and fresh. Especially if we remove them promptly. We learned the Yellow efficiency rating Card, is only accurate when you use the "Factory pre-set" cycles. Adding a pre-soak, extra rinse or longer cycle changes the efficiency. Hope this helps.

It was 15 years old.
Personally, I think NOT. When I finally have an excuse I'm getting rid of my HE front-loader and buying an old-time water-guzzler with an agitator. I've ruined many items of clothing over the past 10 years because they just don't get clean and somebody throws the load in the dryer and sets the stain for life. Part of it is situational - our area has extremely hard water and the recommended amounts of detergent/additives simply don't work effectively. HE units rely very heavily on the chemical action of the cleaning product.

First, Speed Queen, still makes a regular, style top loader. It uses more water but has been very dependable. My neighbor replaced a front loader HE machine that just couldn't handle the amount of laundry they do, with a Speed Queen and love it. We have had 2 front loaders that are HE. The Whirlpool lasted 10 years, currently have an LG Front loader. We like it very much. There is a learning curve to using a HE washer. It uses less water, so it is important to follow the soap & additive recommendations (using much less). Our LG has a door magnet that leaves the door open a little when empty so as to "air out" the drum and stop mold. We find our clothes, towels and bedding all come out clean and fresh. Especially if we remove them promptly. We learned the Yellow efficiency rating Card, is only accurate when you use the "Factory pre-set" cycles. Adding a pre-soak, extra rinse or longer cycle changes the efficiency. Hope this helps.

i love my lg's as well. we have very hard water (well, no water softener) and no problems-very clean clothes, also no mold build up (ours doesn't have the magnet thing but i just leave the washer door slightly open to dry it out/periodically when i run a load of towels i take one and wipe down the door, seals). i agree w/decreasing the amount of soap (for stains i pretreat w/spray and stain stick). i use arm & hammer detergent w/oxy clean for the bulk of what i run (woolite black for some) and everything comes out fine.

I second this. Speed Queen is amazing. I absolutely love mine and it works very well. I have a mix of dirty work clothes and professional workwear, and it handles both very well.

I've not heard great things about HE unless they're from people who have clothes that are practically clean to begin with. That works until I wash out the yard work and gardening and grease monkey clothes... And if I've gotta wash it two or three times to clean it, how is that HE?

It was 15 years old.

In my experience, NO! My two year old HE washer is a piece of crap.

We got rid of our LG HE, my LG gas drier still works fine. It broke after the one year warranty, we paid to have fixed. Then, it breaks again year 4. No way Jose. I followed all directions RE loading, soap, etc. It was a lemon. Lots of movement and lugs underneath actually loosened up requiring the first fix. The second time around the washer constantly got out of balance no matter what you do. Noisy, frustrating, long cycles and not worth it.

Replaced with speed queen washer a couple years ago. Dependable, short cycles, the water level and water temperature settings I want. Clothes feel cleaner. For what it’s worth our local water is soft.

We have a Samsung HE Toploader and it is a fantastic washer. I feel like it gets our clothes very clean (and I am super messy). I love that it is HUGE and we can even wash our King Comforter in it.

Have the LG washer & dryer and think they are great. No idea why some constantly want to bash the newer HE machines.

Well, I bashed our Samsung costly washer because I work with patients; I wash my 3 sets of work clothes by themselves. So 6 lightweight pieces of clothing. In the HE it took over an hour and the clothing came out of the washer DRY in places; sometimes a whole pant leg sometimes the front of a scrub, and sometimes a delightful arm pit sleeve.

I would like to feel I’m putting on germ free and non pit smelly clothes and I’m sure patients would really really expect and NEED it.
So DH replaced them because I complained pretty much every load.

I had the same issue, washer died, bought an LG HE washer. I never thought my clothes got really clean. Sometimes the blankets came out dry in the folds, because there wasn't enough water to get them soaked. Most times I washed clothes twice. I hated it. It finally died after two years and I bought a top loader with an agitator. I had to look around for one, found a GE online at Home Depot. It works great! I don't have a water issue here, I have tons of water, so this purchase was a no brainer for me. I also had a LG refrigerator, and the compressor died after 5 years. I replaced the compressor for less than a new similar refrigerator would have cost. I hope it lasts because I love my fridge. It did cost $ 750.00 to replace the compressor. They just don't make appliances like they used to.

Have the LG washer & dryer and think they are great. No idea why some constantly want to bash the newer HE machines.

Mine doesn’t get the soap out no matter how I load it or how little soap I use. Clothes also come out with creased wrinkles and dry spots.

No offense, but if you get a lemon, you are going to be unhappy. The only washer that was a lemon in 40 plus years of marriage was a HE. Glad yours work for you.

And you have to use detergents designed for HE machines. Not sure why some want to bash ALL HE type machines due to their one bad experience.

My top loading Maytag HE washer died after 5 years. The repair guy strongly recommended a Speed Queen. I liked that it didn't have any complicated electronics so I bought it. I've been happy with it. It's only 1 1/2 years old so I can't vouch for its longevity, but it did come with the longest warranty.

Thanks for an the input!
Going to order up the Speed Queen today and do the dryer at the same time so we are not left rushing out again in a few months.
The price tag is making me a bit queasy but it was the only machine on the floor that did not look like plastic junk.
Hope it pays off down the road!

It was 15 years old.

Yes, ours does - Samsung front loader, not only cleans just as well, but spins so dry, cuts drying time 1/2 or more.

I don't care for our LG He washer. Whites come out dingy. Food still stuck to cloth napkins. A greasy residue left on dish rags and kitchen towels. I feel like my clothes need a good soaking in WATER. We have a place in town that sells refurbished old-style washers. I wish I had bought one instead.

I don't care for our LG He washer. Whites come out dingy. Food still stuck to cloth napkins. A greasy residue left on dish rags and kitchen towels. I feel like my clothes need a good soaking in WATER. We have a place in town that sells refurbished old-style washers. I wish I had bought one instead.

Have you ever tried adding water? My LG has a "water plus" button and also a pre soak button, if you really think you need it. I use it every once in awhile for really dirty stuff and it works great. Alternately, my washer has a "speed wash" option, which uses hot water that I use for towels and some linens like cloth napkins and my mop heads. The speed wash option uses a lot more water.

I think a lot of people (not singling you out) just use the basic settings on the dial and hit start, and forget about all the cistomization options. Mine has a ton of options to alter the way the washer uses water, spin speed, extra rinse, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter