Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare Deal

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
Has anyone participated in their 4 day/3 night special where you get a room for like 223.88 but you have to participate in a 2 hour timeshare presentation? Is it legitimate and how did it go? Thanks!

We did- we eventually bought a timeshare with them too. It was at least 5 years ago. As far as timeshares go, ours was not a high pressure one (but we still do owners updates 1-2 times a year when we go (for the gifts) and we have had 1 or 2 over the years where the salesman was a little pushy). Just be aware, they embellish and exaggerate a little- for example Disney DOES deposit their hotels into RCI but in 5 years I have seen maybe 8 total and the dates I wanted weren’t there- you probably won’t be able to get one. Also, they told us we needed to upgrade and pay extra for a larger suite because we were a family of five- but there are other hotels available that sleep five plus in a regular room (embassy suites and homewood suites).
You need to be firm in the presentation if you have no interest in buying and watch the clock and as soon as your time is up, ask to leave. They won’t hold you hours past. We ended up buying and it took extra time. We missed Some of our Disney time so I asked (and received) an extra gift card for the extra time.

For that short a vacation, what is the value of your time? Timeshare stays are available on Skyauction and similar sites for about $100/nt with no presentation required. Realistically, that 2 hour presentation will cost you about a half-day of park time, and is that worth the $80 you will save on the accommodation? Note that I say plan a half-day because the presentation starts on THEIR schedule, not yours, and that is 2 hours with the sales person - breakfast before and cash-out time for your gifts after is not included, then you have to travel to the park when the whole thing is over.

Another way to think of it, what is the total cost of your vacation all in with normal accommodation (park tickets, travel, etc). Now divide that by the number of days and if the comp isn't better, it's not worth the time. So say a modest $2000 total for a 4 day vacation, is $500/day, or $250 for that half-day. If the comp is only worth $100, you're losing money.

In general I don't recommend that people attend the presentations unless they really feel that the savings are worth the lost touring time. My last presentation was in Mexico, but for the half-day of our time we got our entire week's SUV rental covered and a free dinner cruise (and the ubiquitous bottle of tequila - surprisingly top shelf brand). To me, that several hundred dollars of comp was worth our time.

ETA: but otherwise, yes, these are legitimate offers, and HGVC is not known for high pressure tactics. The better brands generally have a reputation to uphold. Note that if you are tempted to purchase, DON'T. That timeshare can also be bought on eBay for pennies on the dollar if you really want one; and yes, those deals too are legit. Our total investment for our two timeshare properties was about $12.

For that short a vacation, what is the value of your time? Timeshare stays are available on Skyauction and similar sites for about $100/nt with no presentation required. Realistically, that 2 hour presentation will cost you about a half-day of park time, and is that worth the $80 you will save on the accommodation? Note that I say plan a half-day because the presentation starts on THEIR schedule, not yours, and that is 2 hours with the sales person - breakfast before and cash-out time for your gifts after is not included, then you have to travel to the park when the whole thing is over.

Another way to think of it, what is the total cost of your vacation all in with normal accommodation (park tickets, travel, etc). Now divide that by the number of days and if the comp isn't better, it's not worth the time. So say a modest $2000 total for a 4 day vacation, is $500/day, or $250 for that half-day. If the comp is only worth $100, you're losing money.

In general I don't recommend that people attend the presentations unless they really feel that the savings are worth the lost touring time. My last presentation was in Mexico, but for the half-day of our time we got our entire week's SUV rental covered and a free dinner cruise (and the ubiquitous bottle of tequila - surprisingly top shelf brand). To me, that several hundred dollars of comp was worth our time.

ETA: but otherwise, yes, these are legitimate offers, and HGVC is not known for high pressure tactics. The better brands generally have a reputation to uphold. Note that if you are tempted to purchase, DON'T. That timeshare can also be bought on eBay for pennies on the dollar if you really want one; and yes, those deals too are legit. Our total investment for our two timeshare properties was about $12.
This is helpful thanks. I don't believe it would be worth our time.

I'm an owner with Hilton Grand Vacations (HGVC), and the company has a reputation for providing whatever is promised. I haven't gone to an Orlando presentation in many years, but I go to a presentation in Las Vegas once a year. For me it is totally worth it. As mentioned, run the math, and see what works for you.

If you (or anyone else reading this thread) goes to a timeshare presentation, DO NOT purchase at the presentation, or at a retail price. Every timeshare out there can be purchased "resale." The disadvantages of buying resale, if any, are minimal.

I have owned HGVC for years. We have exchanged into Disney about 6 times or so. It's been a great value for us. The HGVC properties are great as well. Definitely buy via resale. There are No downsides.

So the moral seems to be, never buy Disney timeshares from the time share presentation.
Just buy in the aftermarket.

For those not already familiar, this thread is restricted to TUG Members. One can become a Member by paying $15/year---there are other ways, but that's the easiest.
Oops. Sorry, I forgot - thanks for making the truth known (and hopefully encouraging more TUG people to become TUG members).

I've never heard of this. Why is it worth joining?
There is lots of information about how to make the best use of your timeshare. I've been a member since 2006. Some of the information is free, but you have to pay dues in order to see the resort reviews, and also the "sightings" board which lists good trades that are sitting online.

Why is it worth joining?
If DVC is the only thing you own, maybe it isn't---the DIS and other DVC-oriented web sites have vibrant owner communities. But if you are considering (or already own) another timeshare, it can be a huge source of information. I've learned a lot about how to use and optimize my timeshare portfolio there.

I have been a Tugger for about 15 years and the BBS is very useful for information about the world of timeshare. They have coverage of all the major brands, including DVC and also have an area where you can buy and sell timeshares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter