• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton Head Availability

alison228

DIS Veteran
Hello! My husband and I are looking into going to Hilton Head in June or July since our June Disney World vacation is most likely going to get cancelled by Disney. However, when I am looking to book directly on Disney for HH (cash), it's not showing ANY dates are available to be booked. I have tried one night, a week, multiple dates in June and July. Is this common and maybe it's sold out? Or do they reserve rooms for mostly for DVC only, or is it separate inventory for cash/DVC points? I am not even sure if HH/Vero are even opening in that time frame, like Orlando it still says closed until further notice. Maybe DVC members have better insight on this. It would be our first time going to Hilton Head and any suggestions are appreciated!
Thank you!

Summer is a VERY busy time at the HHI resort, so not having any availability in June or July doesn't surprise me. If you have the flexibility to go in the fall, I'd recommend October. The CMs there say that's the best time to go in that it's still warm enough to swim, but not super-hot like summer time can be.

It's pretty rare for HHI to be available on cash any time of year, but summer would certainly not be an option.

As the others have said, June-Aug is extremely tough to book (nigh to impossible), and May & September aren't much better. We tried for four years to book there in June or July with no success. . .until last summer when we strung together four nights in two different categories. We did manage a 1BR right at 7 months for this June, though obviously that may not come through after all for a completely different reason. That being said, I absolutely recommend HHI for a vacation at pretty much anytime during the year. Laid back, great area for foodies (especially seafood), superb beach & beach access, and the best CMs anywhere.

As the others have said, June-Aug is extremely tough to book (nigh to impossible), and May & September aren't much better. We tried for four years to book there in June or July with no success. . .until last summer when we strung together four nights in two different categories. We did manage a 1BR right at 7 months for this June, though obviously that may not come through after all for a completely different reason. That being said, I absolutely recommend HHI for a vacation at pretty much anytime during the year. Laid back, great area for foodies (especially seafood), superb beach & beach access, and the best CMs anywhere.
thanks so much

Good luck! We’ve rented a dedicated reservation the past 2 summers and missed it by one day, this summer! I dragged my feet and was upset. Now with covid-19, I’m not sure if it’s a bad thing...We spent 4th of July there the past 2 visits and it was amazing!!! Good luck! We may look at October now...

If you want to go to Hilton Head, and you are planning on paying cash anyway, you should look at renting a condo in Palmetto Dunes or Sea Pines resorts. You would have access to everything Hilton Head has to offer. You can probably get a bigger and nicer place than what you would get through Disney. Hilton Head is a fantastic place to spend a week at anytime of the year.

My family is going to Hilton Head (non disney resort) on Saturday for the week. From what we understand, much of the restaurants, shops, etc. will be opening or have already opened. We don't expect it to be the same as it has been in year's past but it will be a great change of scenery.

If you want to go to Hilton Head, and you are planning on paying cash anyway, you should look at renting a condo in Palmetto Dunes or Sea Pines resorts. You would have access to everything Hilton Head has to offer. You can probably get a bigger and nicer place than what you would get through Disney. Hilton Head is a fantastic place to spend a week at anytime of the year.

My family is going to Hilton Head (non disney resort) on Saturday for the week. From what we understand, much of the restaurants, shops, etc. will be opening or have already opened. We don't expect it to be the same as it has been in year's past but it will be a great change of scenery.
Thank you! I'll look into that

Yes, a good option, and one we've done a couple of times. However, be aware that most of the condo rentals on HHI (e.g., Palmetto Dunes) require a substantial down payment that is non-refundable, and they offer fairly onerous terms for renting. In addition to the deposit, most don't allow you to back out of your reservation later than 2-4 weeks prior to travel without losing a substantial (if not all) of your money that you've paid.

And when you park, make sure your parking permit is clearly visible in the windshield. On our last trip staying at Palmetto Dunes, I had put the parking permit on the console while driving around HHI as I don't like to have it reflecting sunlight as it's perched on top of the dashboard. I failed to put it back in its proper place upon return, and when we left the next day, there was a parking ticket under my wipers. We contacted the rental office who shuffled us off to the security office who said it would have to be adjudicated by some council. . .who weeks later declined our appeal despite all the copies of our paperwork, registration, etc. The fine was $100.

However, despite that small bit of lunacy and the punitive financial contract should you cancel, I do recommend Palmetto Dunes due to its proximity to the beach, restaurants, and other activities. We enjoyed grabbing fresh seafood and making our own boils which a full kitchen allows you to do.

Last edited:
I bought at HHI as it is very difficult to get a summer vacation. Not impossible though... good luck :-)

We have been looking at buying a contract for HHI to be able to stay there in the summer, but the high dues scare us off!

Look into Marriott Vacation Club, too. We had a cash reservation at their Surfwatch resort and it was very nice. You can still visit Disney’s HHI (If it’s open) and tell them you just want to look around and shop. They will usually let you in.

We prefer to be walking distance to the beach and love the Shipyard Plantation area in HHI. We checked out the marina one night and walked to disney resort to get a Mickey bar :)

I would really like to do a golf vacation at HH but just can't decide when.

DH plays a lot of golf there in November (Thanksgiving). The only problem is that at that time of year, there are occasionally "frost delays" in the morning, when early tee times get delayed a little, waiting for the sun to burn off the frost on the greens-that's only happened a couple times in about 15 years though. Otherwise, November is a great time to golf there (well, according to DH, anytime would be good, but November is the best).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter