HO-HO-HO..We`ll put the RUM in Pa-Rum-Pum-Pum-Pum! 16 holiday nights at SF & RPR. A Nov/Dec 2023 Trip Report

i-zKCcWm9-X2.jpg

We were back home in no time at all, years ago we used to seemingly take a different route every time we drove to Mount Dora and weirdly we never came back the same way for some reason and we did drive through some very interesting areas over the years!! But last few visits we`ve gone the same way and passing through the tolls with the VTP is simple, no need to pull over to pay, we just drive through. I think we`ve used this since we came back to America after the pandemic and it is very handy, we pay $10 for it, pick it up at MCO and then just pay the cost of the tolls we drive through, the charges are on our credit card, easy.

We chatted to a couple of folks in the lobby then went to the lounge to get some tea before heading over to meet Raymond in Aventura coffee place. It`s only a 10 minute walk through RP/Sapphire then cut out and cross the road.

I have to say there is very little about this hotel we like, it feels very cold and impersonal to us and the hotel lobby resembles one of our newer hospitals lobby area, someone notably said it could even be an Apple store. It`s not somewhere we would ever stay, but many love it and thoroughly enjoy their stays in the hotel.

i-ShWTRVr-X2.jpg

This has to be the coldest looking bar anywhere!!

i-ZV9xpqM-X2.jpg

i-rVPqq38-X2.jpg

We`ve only tried to food court once, but that was way back in 2018, it was ok, nothing to write home about, but a couple of folks I know well say it`s decent and have enjoyed the roast chicken, noodle bowls and very much enjoyed the burgers they had. They do not recommend the pizza now as they said it`s not fresh dough anymore. But, it`s good to hear so many folks enjoy it and they have some good offerings.

i-2CpWMV6-X2.jpg

The rooftop bar has some very good views, you can see Disney fireworks as well as all of Universal and quite a fair distance on clear nights, but the bar has always been a disappointment to us in atmosphere and their food and drink options.

They also have a decent Universal store, it`s not huge but it stocks a good amount of merchandise and had a very nice TM working there.

We had a look to see if one of our former American kids was working on the check in desk, they left the lounge to come here to start their progression career wise, but he wasn`t here today, we were sorry we missed him.

i-nnJCzT9-X2.jpg

We were a little early for Raymond, so we got a couple of drinks, I got something fruity....have no idea what it was but it was nice, Tom got a very sweet and sticky coffee, whatever one of their Christmas specials was, he said it was nice though.

i-mZ2Sr7v-X2.jpg

i-vQJVsRS-X2.jpg

We went to sit at a table and I heard a ladies voice say....well, it`s Carole and Tom!!! I turned to see a lady I didn`t know, but she knew us from reading our many trip reports! And thankfully, she enjoyed them which is always good to hear anytime!

This is Kelly from Michigan and we have her permission to post her picture with me.

She said she wondered if she`d see us anywhere as she knew we were here, and it was very nice to meet her, we chatted for a time and she was so nice and very kind too with comments. I don`t think she`s a member of the Dis but is a reader, but Kelly, it was so nice meeting you and hope we run into each other again some day :wave2:

i-d9s8DNx-X2.jpg

Our lovely friend Raymond arrived shortly after, it is always a complete pleasure to spend time with him, he is busy and has always been busy, but the time he made for us and still does is always time we treasure.

We got drinks and then we sat down and chatted, chatted and then chatted some more. We had a few things to share with him that had happened over our trip and we did laugh a lot too at some of the tales. We`ve known him for over 10 years now so we can share anything and he is so lovely and just about the nicest human being we`ve ever met......yes, I admit, I completely adore this man!!!

Time passed so quickly and before we knew it, it was after 6, we certainly had chatted for some time, we said our goodbye`s but again we do keep in touch between visits which is always nice. We walked over to the side entrance to Sapphire and said our goodbye`s again and we headed back to RP where we caught the last half hour of the evening service. But we`d had such a lovely afternoon with someone who is very special to us.

We popped into the lounge for a glass of wine and it was busy, but we got a table and although we were eating later, the beef bulogi with lo mein noodles is one of the dishes we really love in the lounge, one of the dishes Jen had added to the mix of offerings and it is beautiful.

I think we may have had a taste, we both can`t resist it, although I do always add tabasco to mine, it doesn`t need it as it is full of flavour, I just like spice!!

i-Hz2n8Pp-X2.jpg

i-r3JQmpR-X2.jpg

We passed time chatting again as always and enjoyed some wine tonight, we had plans to go down to Orchids for something to eat then over to Strong Water Bar, but for now we were content to just sit and chat, I think the JP family were in, but I haven`t written it down, it would usually be them we were chatting to and it was always fun and a very nice way to pass time, the lounge is very good for that, it is social as it`s not too huge or impersonal.

To be honest we sat so long they had brought out desserts!!! It was unusual we got to see what delights they were offering and I wished we had taken some away and popped them in our fridge as they had key lime pie which I love and some very nice brownies that Tom loves, but we didn`t. They also had strawberry shortcake in the little glass pots. This was definitely the trip we saw dessert hour the most.

i-FZn9ckK-X2.jpg

i-3mhHmzP-X2.jpg

Finally, we headed down to get some dinner in Orchids which is our favourite place to eat in RP and our favourite sushi restaurant around the whole area, it is exceptional and the chefs and some of the staff have been there for a long time.

We grab a seat beside where the chefs work, they`re fascinating to watch them create their beautiful dishes, Kevin was looking after us tonight, first time we had met him and he was lovely, even when I ordered the wrong dish (oops) it wasn`t a problem and it was just me not paying attention, yep, I was too busy chatting!!

i-ncBcHb3-X2.jpg

I ordered their Golden Dawn cocktail which had Bacardi light rum as well as a Plantation pineapple rum, mango juice and orgeat, it`s not my favourite cocktail, but it`s nice and they do add a little spice to it. Tom had a beer, but it obviously wasn`t interesting enough for him to take a picture of it.

i-gPVpKHK-X2.jpg

The Miso soup we tend to start with is beautiful, we do prefer the soups from Nagoya, but this is still up there with the best of them!! Sorry the picture is a little blurry....I must have taken it 🥴

i-PDs9VVS-X2.jpg

I ordered their special which is the spicy tuna/avocado dish and it is gorgeous, nice and spicy too and the tuna is as always, the freshest imaginable and simply beautiful. Tom had the Mexican Roll which again is one of their spicy dishes, but I don`t know where the picture is though.

i-qWCmcXF-X2.jpg

The food is always so good from here, we always enjoy eating here and it is such a nice place, the revamp has certainly changed the look, but the atmosphere is still as nice and welcoming as it`s always been.

It was fairly late now, but we still headed over to Strong Water Bar, we knew Maggie was working tonight and wanted to see her and we got a table in her section tonight easily as the place was not at all busy, very unusual for it to be so quiet, but nice for us as it meant we`d get to chat more to everyone.

i-BP5HnBG-X2.jpg

Our first drinks we both ordered Carole`s Punch, of course, I think Tom felt as if he really should order it tonight as he had been teased about it a lot when he orders something else.....he does enjoy it though, but prefers something stronger and maybe not as sweet. For me, it`s perfect!!

i-ncK4BNb-X2.jpg

In one of the larger booths I noticed a big family sitting celebrating a birthday and then noticed one of them waving over to us......it was Manny who works here and again, without the uniform everyone always looks so different, we waved back, he is such a lovely man, very kind and like all the staff in here, really knows his stuff.

We did manage to get some nice chats in tonight as it was a bit quieter than usual and we could chat to Maggie and Demi all night given the chance. And Manny came over for a chat and a hug before he and his family left, such a nice man too.

The lovely Maggie.......she is a sweetheart!!!

i-NCMHhmP-X2.jpg

Tom ordered a Fountain of Youth and I had a second Carole`s Punch, I`m not biased or anything 😉 but, it is a gorgeous drink, very fruity but has a punch!! To be fair there have only been two drinks I wasn`t keen on since they opened all those years back, not a bad record.

i-VnFJxWK-X2.jpg

It was after 11 when we said our goodnights to everyone and wandered back over to RP.

Our suite is always welcoming and by now we were both yawning again, ealry rises and late nights were certainly catching up with us, but we could sleep when we got home to the UK.

The trip was slowly trundling forward, we had two full days and one partial day left to go and looked like the weather was going to get hot!

FRIDAY DECEMBER 1ST

This morning we were up early as always and had a fairly early breakfast in the lounge as we wanted to head out shopping, but we would be arranging to see our friend from the hotel M later, we had said we`d be going out so she said txt when we get back and she`d meet us as we hadn`t seen her this trip as she had been away and we always love to spend time with her whenever we can throughout our trips.

So, breakfast was swift and we headed out to the car and it was indeed gorgeous and much warmer than it had been last couple of days. But, it was also incredibly humid, not just a little humid, but almost September humid at times which was very unusual and the first time we had felt this time of year being as bad.

Today we had to buy a suitcase, we were never going to get all the things we had purchased back home without another one, we also needed to buy some bubble wrap and stop into ABC Wines too, there were a few things we wanted from there.

ABC was first and the staff in there are always so nice and ask if you need any help, er no not in here, this was one place we knew every corner by heart!!

We pick up large bottles of Aviation Gin and Milagro Tequila alongside a regular bottle of 1800 tequila hence the need for bubble wrap.

Next up was Wal-Mart where we had seen a couple of suitcases while passing, but the one we liked was gone, it was the biggest size they did and it was purple.....of course it was!!! But, we had a look around and found a large blue one we liked, picked up some bubble wrap and headed home as it was getting on a bit now time wise.

We wandered into the lobby and stopped to chat to Mr Beiderman who saw the suitcase and thought we were leaving.....lol...not yet, just explained we needed the extra luggage for all our purchases, he did laugh. We chatted about the gingerbread house they were building and he explained they planned to sell cookies from it and maybe hot chocolate, Stephen who was with him said it might be a bit small though, but it`s a good idea.

Mr Beiderman said he wanted to send us up some of the cookies to try as they wouldn`t be starting to do it till after we left and he`d like us to give them a try, we said we`d love to try them and looked forward to it.

We said our goodbye`s as we wouldn`t see him now, he is just the nicest man and has a genuine concern for staff and guests alike, he always makes time and it`s always a pleasure to see him.

Back upstairs we sent a txt to M to say we were free whenever she was, so we would meet in around 20 minutes down in Orchids lounge, it would be nice and quiet and we could chat freely.

i-7rGGxSW-X2.jpg

i-sDL7WGH-X2.jpg

You do see a few folks sitting here during the day, some waiting to leave and some doing work as it is usually peaceful, with the lounge not opening till 5pm, it`s a decent space to work or just chill out for an hour or so.

i-t3tH3Hm-X2.jpg

We saw M fly past and head into TukTuk intimating she`d be two minutes and she appeared carrying a box, and after the hugs hello she shared something she wanted us to try, the Ube cookies that were based on a Philipino dessert. And they were very purple!!!

This isn`t the picture of them as we ate them before we remembered to take one, but they were gorgeous!!! I`m definitely going to have a bash at baking some one day.

1708170409995.jpeg

We sat and chatted forever it seemed, we have known M for over 10 years too, meeting her with Raymond all that time ago, and she is the sweetest person and another who puts guests first and loves her job too!!

I think again, time passed so quickly, then we saw Mark appear, he is the F&B manager for Loews and someone we`ve known for a couple of years now too, very nice man and very tall!!! He came over and said he had seen us at the Charity event but we were way over the other side and leaving the hotel so he missed us, but we had a nice catch up today.

At that we headed down to have some lunch in Jake`s with M, we all enjoy it here and we got a lovely table and we continued to chat some more and got around to ordering food eventually.

Jake`s lunch menu is very nice indeed and we always end up ordering too much instead of sharing.....that`s something we maybe need to work on!!

M opts for the Garden Burger with truffle and parmesan fries and she highly recommends both of them.....neither of us are fond of truffle so wouldn`t get them, but the burger we agreed, was very nice for a fake burger.

i-3sLj37r-X2.jpg

i-9KFzjHD-X2.jpg

Tom goes for the meat feast pizza, which is far too much at lunchtime and knows already he won`t finish it, I however opt for the smaller BBQ chicken flatbread with extra jalapenos on it.....lush!!!

i-PpRV5bN-X2.jpg

I think we spoke about every subject under the sun today that connects us, we know a lot of the same people so it`s nice to have that connection too, but M is so easy to chat to, we always have a lot of fun spending time with her when we get the chance and Andrea too who is her assistant, another lovely lady.

How on earth it was almost 5pm at this point amazed us all!! We had literally chatted the day away which had been lovely, we did say at this point this meal was our treat today, but she laughed and said no it`s Mark`s treat.......how lovely and how kind of him!! I had heard them joking about something and it had been about lunch. We asked her to thank him which of course she would do.

Again, saying our goodbye`s is never nice especially to folks we are so fond of and this lady is one of them, again we do keep in touch between visits but it is so nice spending time with such a lovely lady.

We headed upstairs to pick up a package to take to our next meet which was in about 10 minutes!!! We are never late, despise being late and we are the folks that would rather be 3 hours early than one minute late, but we were not going to be on time for this meet!!!

We walked over to Strong Water where we were meeting D&J for drinks, we both had plans later so this was all we could arrange today but we were so looking forward to it.

We first met D a few years ago in the lounge through Raymond and we have become very good friends in those years and always plan to meet up when we can. D travels down to Orlando at least once a month between Universal and Disney and we met her husband who is also lovely a couple of years ago too, and we do all get on well. You may remember she is the lady who Johnny Depp signed her leg! She is a very sparkly lady and also lovely.

We often talk of how lucky we are to have met so many amazing people over the years, some from the Dis and some through staff here or folks we have met in the lounge. I think we have only had two negative experiences over the many years, so that`s not too bad, and those negatives are not something we ponder over at all.....gone from memory.

But making friends with so many lovely people is indeed wonderful.

They were also making a gingerbread village in the lobby here too, it was still in the early stages but you could see it was going to be lovely when complete, the chefs do a fabulous job at decorating them from start to finish.

i-ZNnd35G-X2.jpg

D&J were waiting at the entrance to SW bar, we were only 3 minutes late and she was laughing as I was so flustered about it!!! We headed in and got our table beside the tree thanks to the lovely Abdel who will greet you as you arrive or one of the other lovely folks who work on meeting you, and we do like this table!!

And of course, we had to capture a picture or three! Demi took some for us with our camera and D`s phone, she does take a good picture.

i-BPFMhQD-X2.jpg

Of course we all ordered Carole`s Punches, J had never tried one before and I`m glad to say he enjoyed it immensely as did D and I. Tom if I remember correctly had a Fountain of Youth!!! I`ll forgive him.

i-X7q2dpB-X2.jpg

We had such a lovely time, we laughed a lot and shared some very funny stories. It was sad it would be a while till we met up again but we do keep in touch regularly.

Fernando came over to say hello and we had a nice chat with him too, he asked if we were coming tomorrow night, we said of course, our last night, this is where we eat, he said he`d be here so we looked forward to that. Chef Carlos came out to chat too, he is a very funny guy, very dry sense of humour which we really like.

All too soon it was time for D&J to head off, so we said our goodbyes and she thanked us for the birthday gifts, her birthday is later in the month, but we had brought some things for her and we thanked them for the peppermint bark they had brought for us from the Grand Floridian where they stayed last night, I`d never tried it before and it was very nice.

Back over to RP, desserts had been laid out so we grabbed a picture of them and chatted to the lovely Carlos, we had been trying to catch him last few days but we missed him, so it was nice to see him tonight as we had a few things to chat to him about, lovely man too.

The desserts looked so nice, especially the mini apple crumbles, but we never had any, the lounge was very quiet tonight so we managed to chat to Carlos for a decent length of time before we headed out again.

i-2fpCGT8-X2.jpg

i-pCq5RCL-X2.jpg

We had a quick freshen up in the room and headed back into Citywalk, it was gorgeous tonight and again, very humid but we knew what weather we were going home to in a few days, so we wanted to make the most of it for sure.

Citywalk was lovely, busy enough but not too bad and there is always a lovely atmosphere, full of couples, friends and families just enjoying their evening.

We wandered around for a time and then we got a little peckish so headed into the bar at Margaritaville and managed to get a seat there, and again we had missed Irish Jack!!! One of these visits we`d catch him again. I doubt he`d remember us now, but maybe if he heard the accent as he used to call us "Scotland" whenever we went in and he was there, very cool guy.

It was lively tonight, well it`s lively most nights, we tend to have lunch here but tonight we just ordered a cocktail each and we decided to share the club sandwich, it`s big enough to easily share and all we wanted tonight.

i-HwhPkkt-X2.jpg

We had some lovely folks sitting around us tonight and one woman was hilarious, she had visited Scotland about a million years ago and had loved it, but it had changed beyond recognition to what she was describing, but she loved the accent and like a lot of people, think they can "do" a very good Scottish accent, when the truth is, most really can`t!!!

But, she did keep making one request.......

cv121-S.gif

Now, I can chat.....as those who have met me will testify to, but knowing someone just wants to listen to you......lol....a little odd for sure.

However we chatted some more and then we headed back home, it`s not a long walk from Margaritaville and again, it was still so humid even at this time of night.

The pathways are very safe here, I would feel comfortable walking on my own here late at night, security patrols are regular and there are always folks walking to and from the hotel, mainly families, so it is very safe and it is well lit too.

We cut through the lobby as the pool is closed and you can`t cut through once it`s past that time, and the lobby is extremely quiet tonight. We head upstairs and see Mr Beiderman had indeed arranged for the cookies to be sent to our room, I`d make sure to thank him for those too.

i-csH7bt8-X2.jpg

We weren`t overly tired, so we poured a glass of wine, had two of the cookies and watched some tv, all the while thinking we really should think about packing instead of leaving it all till tomorrow and Sunday, but for now we were too comfy.

Today had been more about catching up with friends, tomorrow we`d be back in the parks and taking a little time out to remember someone very special indeed.

Sounds like a couple of very full day for you!
I saw someone waving heartily at us as we walked round the pool to get out, it was Ruth and her daughter enjoying some pool time on this gorgeous day and they did look very relaxed I have to say!!
Lucky for Ruth to have that amazing pool scape all to themselves! Usually, has been busy when we’ve stayed except for early AM
When the steaks did come out, our waitress asked us to check them and can I say, they really were perfection!!! I
Wow. We’ve crossed local longhorn off the list so long ago, wild how the quality can vary from one site to another in a chain.
So for us we have always enjoyed longer stays and even in 2022 when we stayed 5 weeks in September into October, we were still never bored.
I think part of it is you don’t accept being bored on vacation, nor expect the “action” to come to you. Trips, like most things, are what you make of it. If anything, with longer visits, you guys are afforded the opportunity to enjoy the parks, then explore elsewhere.
he did say the snapping turtles would be worse to come across. Not sure about that, so we`ll just avoid both!
If they are anything like the ones here, it’s best to avoid them. I know people who have lost fingers dealing with them.
I also won’t go far into the ocean 🌊 I’ve watched way too many hours during Shark Week 😂
Lol we live so far from beaches, if I can smell one within an hour or so drive, will go out of my way to visit. Although, at the risk of offending anyone, not a fan of their east coast ones. Do love that tranquil St Pete water
I`m with you, although I did paddle to my knee`s in New Smyrna Beach, then Raymond told us it was the gathering spot of Sharks"R"Us and I never put a toe back in it again!!
Eeek, that is the one place I’ve never dipped as much as a toe. It’s infamous.
the hotel lobby resembles one of our newer hospitals lobby area
Yes, it is quite sterile. Odd thing we’ve noticed, even when there are people in the lobby, it’s oddly quiet vs the happy sort of buzz in most resort lobbies
Today we had to buy a suitcase, we were never going to get all the things we had purchased back home without another one
gambling sort I am, wagering that it may have not been the first time this has happened :). I pack a empty duffle bag

Sounds like a couple of very full day for you!

Lucky for Ruth to have that amazing pool scape all to themselves! Usually, has been busy when we’ve stayed except for early AM

Wow. We’ve crossed local longhorn off the list so long ago, wild how the quality can vary from one site to another in a chain.

I think part of it is you don’t accept being bored on vacation, nor expect the “action” to come to you. Trips, like most things, are what you make of it. If anything, with longer visits, you guys are afforded the opportunity to enjoy the parks, then explore elsewhere.

If they are anything like the ones here, it’s best to avoid them. I know people who have lost fingers dealing with them.

Lol we live so far from beaches, if I can smell one within an hour or so drive, will go out of my way to visit. Although, at the risk of offending anyone, not a fan of their east coast ones. Do love that tranquil St Pete water

Eeek, that is the one place I’ve never dipped as much as a toe. It’s infamous.

Yes, it is quite sterile. Odd thing we’ve noticed, even when there are people in the lobby, it’s oddly quiet vs the happy sort of buzz in most resort lobbies

gambling sort I am, wagering that it may have not been the first time this has happened :). I pack a empty duffle bag

I think we`ve always been lucky with the pool, it`s never been too busy and always managed to get loungers, but I can imagine it getting busy. Ruth and her daughter did look very relaxed!!!

The Longhorn we went to was in Oak Ridge Drive, and after the ther being a little disappointing this one really impressed us which was nice. I think the suggestion was, it`s not overloaded with tourists! We`ll go back to that one next trip.

I agree, trips are what you make them, we love having the time to fill our days up or have some chill time, having longer trips makes that possible, so yes, we are very grateful for that.

We`ve seen New Smyrna be like a mill pond and incredibly calm, but other times I can see why it`s a surfers paradise, it was wild one day we visited!! And yes, I teased Raymond mercilessly for not mentioning the sharks till after I told him I was in up to my knees...lol.....we will get to St Pete`s beach at some point, Clearwater was lovely, but you know us, we spend half an hour on a beach then leave!!!

Yep, Aventura is sterile indeed, and yes, it`s strangely quiet, I don`t think we`d ever stay there as it doesn`t have the warmth of RP and Sapphire.

lol.....not my first rodeo in buying an extra case!!!!

SATURDAY DECEMBER 2ND

cv34-S.jpg

Lindsey had died a year ago today. I won`t dwell on what happened and how sad we still were and still are about her death, but we couldn`t let the day pass without doing something, so we had an idea to do something this afternoon, very brief and very private, just us taking a little time just in memory of her. She is never far from our thoughts every day in life, and over here I do feel it more intensely as she so loved the parks and of course the Club Lounge was where we first met her. So the memories of her are very vivid in the parks and lounge too.

I do know if she could, she would tell us to go enjoy the parks she loved so much, so that`s what we would do at the same time. I did write her mum an email last night, you feel so helpless at not being able to do anything, but I know hearing how much other`s loved Lindsey was something that she did enjoy hearing about. Her grief is interminable of course and I admire her immensely I have to say.

I took a few minutes then hit the shower and once I was dressed sent Kyle an email saying we could chat if he was free.

He had been out running in the morning despite the snow, he really is a confirmed runner where he doesn`t feel the cold apparently, still not sure where he gets that from, but he loves it and has a wonderful group of friends who all love running too, I hoped he`d be back in as it was earlier than usual for us, but he was around and we chatted about what had gone on last few days for both of us. He was heading out to meet friends for lunch and an afternoon out so we let him go and headed down to the lounge for breakfast.

Kyle did capture some lovely sunrises on our May trip with him, mine is not so good, but it is a lovely sight seeing the sun come over the buildings in the morning.

i-qBdCpXN-X2.jpg

We had a quick breakfast again this morning, and our housekeeper still managed to beat us and had the room done before we came back, we popped in to put some sunscreen on and headed out to the parks and we were going to the Studios today so, hopped on the boat and we were heading into the park in no time at all.

The boats can get busy at peak times, they do run extra boats if they have the Captains available, so you tend not to wait long, or not too long, but today we were lucky and got on one straight away.

Today was ridiculously hot, the humidity was off the charts for December for sure and I said this would be a slow meander round the parks this morning, yep, September humidity was identical to this and everyone was commenting on it too.

Once in the parks we dithered a little as to which way to go and our heads were turned by a smallish boy of maybe 4 or 5 starting to scream as his mum wanted him to stand by the window and get his picture taken, he was yelling he didn`t like the gingerbread man in the window as it was staring at him and it scared him.....bless his little heart, he was crying real tears so mum obviously moved him, and I have to say those eyes did look as though they were staring at you!!

i-QDPNsF3-X2.jpg

We decided to head round and have another wander round the Christmas Store, but first we dropped into the Brown Derby hat store, not a place we normally wander into but I spotted the Christmas tree inside and of course had to go look.

i-DVTsC33-X2.jpg

i-67gFpzG-X2.jpg

i-wLk3hg8-X2.jpg

It`s a nice little store but not one I`d feel the need to go back into very often, just the usual merchandise that one can get in any of the other stores around the parks and Citywalk.

It was early for us to be in the parks, but even so the place was not busy at all, nice for us to get pictures though.

i-9fqbKzV-X2.jpg

Bourne is a very good show and yes, it `s a not to be missed show whether or not you like the movies or not, I`m not the biggest fan of them, but Tom likes them so I knew he`d like this show, but I do really enjoy seeing it too. We were too early for it today and as we were leaving the parks after we had eaten, it would be next trip we`d see it again.

i-p7j2XPw-X2.jpg

Five and Dime is a store usually worth a wander even if you`re not buying. They have a wonderful HHN display every year and the classic monsters are in there as well as some very cool merchandise

i-hGrw8H8-X2.jpg

The Tribute Stores over the years since they started doing them vary in style and content and while this one is very nice, it`s not as good as the original years content, it was beautiful and aesthetically pleasing but one does notice a lack of as much detail in the recent ones and friends who were at HHN said much the same as to detail, it had diminished slightly.

However, it is still pretty darn nice to walk through and they have done a nice enough job of it, but it lacks that extra special feeling.

i-s4gnV7X-X2.jpg

i-xMzGNJr-X2.jpg

i-Tdgwb9r-X2.jpg

There is some lovely details around the store and the owl and the window below are very pretty indeed, the window when you see it looks as though it`s really snowing, we got a chance to have a good look today as the store was practically deserted apart from 2 rather lonely looking TM`s.

i-HXXrwSq-X2.jpg

There were several festive themed treats for sale, we didn`t buy any this time around, but I did mean to buy the cheesecake that was for sale, however we forgot all about it, someone had told us it was nice, but we missed it.

i-2TmtvN9-X2.jpg

i-zjtNVrh-X2.jpg

I do love how they managed to incorporate Scooby Doo to a Christmas display!!

i-cVtRt9K-X2.jpg

I think this is my favourite scene in the whole store, very cute and cosy fireplace display, dodgy wallpaper though!!

i-zkfHdfP-X2.jpg

The exit was a little tight when busy, not a whole lot of room at this one checkout area and I expected the exit to be a little more exciting and flamboyant than it was, but I`m being picky maybe as it is still very nice.

i-zxpNKt3-X2.jpg

i-V6MBCLg-X2.jpg

More park wanderings coming up :)

Such a lovely tribute to Lindsey, and I know her Mom appreciated your thoughtfulness:)

We managed to miss the tribute store somehow?? I really wanted to see it, so it's nice to see it via your pictures.

Bourne was one of our favorite attractions. We saw it 3 times:) It still amazes me how they do all those stunts and integrate them into the movie.

I'm glad the parents didn't make that little boy stand in front of that gingerbread man! When I was little I was very scared of an antique picture of an older lady that was framed and at the top of the stairs. I always cried when I had to go past it. Grandma finally put it away when I was visiting, LOL.

Love your report as usual and it was so nice meeting you and Tom:)

The place was almost deserted right now, weirdly quiet at times and very different from our many, many nights doing HHN over the years where this area is completely taken over by usually one of the best scare zones and usually crowded, so this was quite nice.

i-BLxDKv4-X2.jpg

i-xsQLc9V-X2.jpg

Well, every now and again, I can change my mind about not really liking something or someone....doesn`t happen often, but Earl the Squirrel has never been a favourite character of mine, although the story of how he came about is cool. He had apparently snuck into USO in one of their Christmas Trees and as he was very mischevious, he would steal all the blue Christmas lights to decorate his own home with!!

But, today he was standing in his spot with two TM`s and positively encouraged us to come over for a picture, there really was no one else around at this point.

And I have to say I did develop a soft spot for the little guy in the end.

One of the TM`s took the pictures using our camera and the other one was impressed she knew how to use a "real" camera instead of a phone as many will use, I think she quite rightly responded to him indignantly that of course she knew how to use a camera!!

i-ScBJ6WC-X2.jpg

We knew ET was closed until 10am, but we wanted to head round to see if one of the TM`s we know was working, he is usually through behind the scenes and we did get to see him and also admired the new Dreamland area which would host Shrek among other characters, he also told us they would soon be blocking off anyone entering this area from the start of Central Park area and coming in from Potter side soon as it just wasn`t busy enough right now early in the am. Made sense I suppose as there was not a soul around us.

i-HdS9zdw-X2.jpg

I do think this area will be a massive success when it opens, especially with Shrek having his own swamp area, it sounds amazing and I`ll bet this whole area is a lot busier then.

It does seem to overwhelm the much loved ET ride building right now, but once the walls are down it might feel better.

i-26CqKNV-X2.jpg

i-3nz2GTk-X2.jpg

The humidity was off the scale this morning, we felt as though we were overheating just wandering slowly, I`d have hated to be in a rush today, this was incredible and certainly the most humid we have ever felt it outside of July/Aug/Sept visits. But, after seeing the snow back home on our facetime chat with Kyle this morning, we would make the most of this.

i-b5bcxBT-X2.jpg

Doc Brown was out and about doing some work on his train and was very much in character even though there was no one around at this point, as we approached we could hear him talking just like he does in the movies, this one was identical in sound, maybe not so much in looks, but a lot of fun all the same.

He asked urgently if we`d seem Marty as it was imperative he spoke to him before the worst thing happened.....lol......we said we hadn`t seen him and he set about going round the other side of the train.

i-XJsKdcf-X2.jpg

Every single character in the parks are always exceptional, even if you`re not fond of a character, they always put on the best show for their audiences around the parks. Universal has excellent TM`s throughout the parks and Citywalk too and we`ve never had a negative experience apart from one grouchy TM on our very first visit and a very bad waiter in NBC a few years ago, other than that it has always been positive.

i-DrBDqSt-X2.jpg

Definitely a favourite spot for a picture for my husband! Loves the car, loves the movies so he is happy to get a picture here.

He is however happier behind the camera being as he calls it, my official photographer!!! He`s probably right, but I do like having pictures of him and us together too so he does acquiesce now and again without too many complaints 🥰

i-ND9czNv-X2.jpg

I did mention it was humid didn`t I? It was crazy humid and maybe around 9.30 or so, we headed down to the waterside for some pictures where it can occasionally feel a little cooler....nope, not today, it was airless even here.

i-J6Ggzq5-X2.jpg

Bumblebee Man`s Tacos is not a place we enjoy, but we don`t like tacos and especially don`t like cilantro which seems to overpower every dish, so we tried it once, won`t have it again. But, that is just personal taste, we know many folks that have had food there and said it was very nice and there is usually a line for the food which can be a good sign.

i-MbQ2zM4-X2.jpg

i-w59WkbP-X2.jpg

And of course Duff`s Beer is a very popular stop off point for beers and cocktails, we don`t like the beer from there and cocktails could be stronger, but it is a nice place to hang out for a break from the sun or like today, the heat!

i-BXK4PWJ-X2.jpg

Harry Potter was up next and I didn`t realise how picture centric this day and even tomorrow as our last day was!! I think that area was going to be a little busier than what we had experienced so far this morning.

i-qzCsjDp-X2.jpg

We were loving just chilling out while we walked today, it felt like it should be a slow kind of day, neither of us really felt much like doing anything too exciting, so this quiet time was just perfect for us.

We did have some plans later this afternoon that we were looking forward to including a Dis meet, albeit a shorter one than we had originally planned and another shorter than planned meet with our friends from the UK who were popping into RP before they headed off, then dinner plans at Strong Water.

But, for now we had more park time ahead and a favourite cocktail or two in Finnegans 🍹

I am sorry for your loss. I am sure it was both sad and wonderful to be in a place that brings back memories of Lindsay on the anniversary of her passing.

Thank you Brooke, it was a trip filled with various emotions at times thinking about Lindsey in places we had been to with her and other times laughing at the stories and fun we had too. Incredibly sad and still so, so unfair.

But, we did have more good memories and managed to smile a lot ❤️

Such a lovely tribute to Lindsey, and I know her Mom appreciated your thoughtfulness:)

We managed to miss the tribute store somehow?? I really wanted to see it, so it's nice to see it via your pictures.

Bourne was one of our favorite attractions. We saw it 3 times:) It still amazes me how they do all those stunts and integrate them into the movie.

I'm glad the parents didn't make that little boy stand in front of that gingerbread man! When I was little I was very scared of an antique picture of an older lady that was framed and at the top of the stairs. I always cried when I had to go past it. Grandma finally put it away when I was visiting, LOL.

Love your report as usual and it was so nice meeting you and Tom:)

Thank you Ruth, I know she did appreciate the contact.

The Tribute Store was just ok, nice but not unmissable and yes, Bourne is very clever.

Yes, his mum was very quick to move him when she saw how upset he really was, before that she looked as though she just wanted the picture! It`s funny how some things scare us as children and pictures can be bloomin terrifying at times!!! Glad grandma moved the picture for you.

Ruth, we had a lovely time too meeting up with you and Robin, it was a fun evening and one we`ll hope to do again at some point, dates aligning of course!!!!

I have to admit it’s extra interesting reading about a couple days when we were actually at Universal as well!

As you know Dec 1st was our arrival night and we ate at Jake’s that night as well.
All the times we’ve eaten there over the years I’ve never had the pizza. It always seemed someone at the next table would order pizza and it looked and smelt fantastic, making me regret not getting one. 🤣

So I had already decided when planning the trip I was getting a pizza there arrival night. It did not disappoin! Very good! 🍕😋🍺 And a cold beer to wash it down!

Once again very sorry for your loss. It must have been special to be at Universal to pay tribute to Lindsay at her favourite place on the one year anniversary.

A fitting way to remember your friend:hug:.

”To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die” T. Campbell

That is a lovely thought Janet.

We were chatting to Kyle`s boss and he mentioned a similar statement when we were talking of someone who passed and he said as long as we remember them, they`re still with us. Very true. 💕

I have to admit it’s extra interesting reading about a couple days when we were actually at Universal as well!

As you know Dec 1st was our arrival night and we ate at Jake’s that night as well.
All the times we’ve eaten there over the years I’ve never had the pizza. It always seemed someone at the next table would order pizza and it looked and smelt fantastic, making me regret not getting one. 🤣

So I had already decided when planning the trip I was getting a pizza there arrival night. It did not disappoin! Very good! 🍕😋🍺 And a cold beer to wash it down!

Once again very sorry for your loss. It must have been special to be at Universal to pay tribute to Lindsay at her favourite place on the one year anniversary.

Yes, you did arrive on the 1st didn`t you. I`m so glad you enjoyed the pizza, it is very underrated at Universal, but we`ve always enjoyed it. Maybe not as good as Sal`s but it`s up there. And add in a beer....can`t go wrong!!!

Thank you, it was certainly on our mind a lot of the trip, and we always connect so much to that one date that a person passed, very mixed emotions for sure.

And we got to meet you and your lovely wife later that day too 😁

Diagon Alley is one of the best themed areas in any park, anywhere, from the minute you see it you can see how intricate the design elements are and it is incredibly detailed in every single corner down to the last brick.

Seeing the movies will enhance your experience of visiting both Potter areas, but it`s not essential to have seen them to enjoy them both in any way.

And another day where folks stand and knock the door expecting Kreacher to appear, even a passing TM told them if they wait he`ll appear without knocking, they didn`t believe her.....lol.....even them knocking and him not appearing, they still didn`t get it.....

i-X285JHM-X2.jpg

We wandered left today when we went into DA and had a wander round the store, but didn`t get anything, I think we had purchased about all we could purchase from the Universal stores for this trip.

i-4Rqf35J-X2.jpg

i-LfKjVM5-X2.jpg

I loved that we could get some pictures with hardly anyone around today and we had seen another couple, much younger than us, but she was the one taking similar pictures that we were and when Tom pointed up to something, she asked us what were we looking at, I think it was the traffic light up there or similar and she took the picture too. They were a nice couple who were incredibly excited to be in DA, well I think she was slightly more excited than him as he was getting a little irked at her which was weirdly funny somehow.

Every face tells a story!

i-QpwWwWH-X2.jpg

We slightly wandered off when the lady called out to us and asked if Tom would take a couple of pictures of them both together, of course he said he`d be happy to take them. Her husband however looked as though he`d rather just go home at this point and Tom did say....smile.....as he took the pictures! He needed to talk to his own face at this point......

cv90-S.jpg

I did mumble to him Finnegans served good cocktails if he needed them, he actually laughed and asked what time did they open.....lol...

i-3ccs3h8-X2.jpg

We got ready to watch Celestina Warbreck again, it is nice to watch and everyone enjoys it, the singing and dancing are very well done and it can get quite busy, but not today.

i-WFTHtsN-X2.jpg

i-FJV2sPW-X2.jpg

And our (my) favourite part of the show, yes, maybe I`m shallow, but I do prefer the snow falling over the show.....it`s so pretty!!

i-2D4w4Gv-X2.jpg

Once I had seen the snowfall, we were off and headed round to get to Knockturn Alley, which as I`ve said before is my favourite part of all things Potter.

We timed it nicely for the dragon as we passed, once you hear the rumblings you know it`s only a moment or two before it breathes fire. It`s always a favourite thing to do here, capture the fire!

i-BvKWJP6-X2.jpg

i-zTJjt2m-X2.jpg

i-GsMwVGh-X2.jpg

There weren`t too many people in here today too, so we managed to use the flash and pick up some more detail in the buildings that were usually shrouded in darkness. If there are people around we don`t use the flash, nothing worse than someone`s camera flash going off.

i-3FCMZhb-X2.jpg

I love these little nooks and corners that are easy to miss and these secret alleyways set one`s imagination off as to what could be beyond the gates if you could wander up them! I know in reality what`s behind them, but in fitting with the theme, my imagination rolls on.

i-sdvPNZB-X2.jpg

i-6rN6qJt-X2.jpg

i-pBHdt8f-X2.jpg

On the way out, the emblazoned marking on the wall changes and goes from being vivid in appearance to burning like the phoenix in front of you, you do need to look up a little though or you can miss it.

i-P4fg59D-X2.jpg

It wasn`t the brightest of days, but coming out of Knockturn Alley always makes you have to adjust your eyes as it`s always so much brighter and it was still fairly quiet out here which was nice, it is so much better when it`s not crowded and you can actually see things without too many crowds.

I think we were about done for today to be honest, we might think about a ride on The Mummy if we felt like it after we had our planned early lunch, so Tom uttered that much waited for question today.....was it too early for lunch and a cocktail or two...... 🍹

i-wv6P7qw-Th.gif

Seeing the movies will enhance your experience of visiting both Potter areas, but it`s not essential to have seen them to enjoy them both in any way.
I agree! I was so excited for my youngest (he is 10) to visit this last time, because we had been reading the Harry Potter books (he had seen the movies and wasn't a huge fan) and he was FINALLY loving HP as much as the rest of our family. It was fun seeing him point out details from the books on our trip. He always loved the HP areas of the parks and the rides, but now even more so!
And our (my) favourite part of the show, yes, maybe I`m shallow, but I do prefer the snow falling over the show.....it`s so pretty!!
I was so happy we happened to catch this on our first day. I loved the snow falling as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter