Hobbies for two - can be friends or a couple or whatever

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
Jumping off of the gardening thread I was wondering what sorts of hobbies people enjoy as a pair, any sort of a pair of humans works so friends or couples or whatever? Not looking for tawdry or blue please

Jumping off of the gardening thread I was wondering what sorts of hobbies people enjoy as a pair, any sort of a pair of humans works so friends or couples or whatever? Not looking for tawdry or blue please
Bird watching. When our kids got self-sufficient, and then when they went out on their own, we started bird watching (it doesn't hurt that we live in a very "birdy" part of the country). For the first several years we had one pair of binoculars between us-one person would look it uo in the book while the other would look thru the binoculars. Twenty five years later, we each have at least a couple pairs of binoculars and an app, not a bird book. But we're involved in a parrot study, meaning we go monthly to a spot in town, sit for a couple hours around sunset, and watch/listen for birds while we mostly talk-no distractions, especially no TV.

My niece and her DH like to cook together

My aunt and uncle play pickleball

There are lots of card and board games for two - We occasionally play Cribbage or Carcassonne, DH's parents play Scrabble, etc.

My neighbor and I go for walks

Some other ideas might be photography, antiquing, collecting things...

My wife is a history buff. I am a classic car buff. My wife has discovered there is a lot of history in classic cars*. So she will go to car shows and auto museum, and likes to listen to 60's music while we cruise in our 1965 Mustang. She is not a big fan of Cars and Coffee gatherings every Sunday, so I do that by myself, and it gives her time to tend to her garden. But we try to set aside 45 minutes to an hour every week to go for a ride together.

* One of the most fascinating bits of auto history to her was the K.R.I.T. automobile company. She was shocked to see their logo was a swastika. They were only in business from 1909 to 1916 And of course the swastika have been used for 6,000 years or so, as a sign of prosperity and good fortune, long before the Nazi's started using it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-R-I-T_Motor_Car_Company

Partner dancing -- so many kinds: swing, ballroom, salsa, etc. Even non-partner dancing, e.g. line dancing, can be really fun. There are studios with group classes, so you meet lots of other people. Most places by us have no requirements -- if you have a partner, you can be married, together, not together, just friends, or even just acquaintances who wanted to split the cost. If you don't have a partner, most places will still be glad to have you in class.

DIY Projects. There are endless possibilities here, from woodworking to knitting to soap-making. Pick something that interests you both, and find some tutorials online or in books. The satisfaction of creating something together is pretty cool!

Hiking or Biking. Getting some exercise and fresh air is always a good idea. You could explore local trails, or plan a weekend getaway to a scenic location. I love going for hikes with friends - it's a great way to catch up and chat while enjoying nature.

These responses are great! The nice thing is most of them we can just try and see what happens easily, I want to add some new ones.

So far we do a drive every weekend to look at the world and see whats going on in the area.

We just started something on the silly and fun side. Picked up watching Diners Drive ins and Dives and have a list of places within driving distance so its been a pleasant way to explore. So far there was Patti's Pierogis in Fall River Mass known for a wide selection of pierogis and their Kielbasa was fantastic. We also ate at Paulis in the North end, had some outstanding sandwiches, pick them up and make your way to a park to enjoy, Faneuil Hall has bathrooms but there are others https://www.boston.gov/departments/311/public-restrooms-city-boston#map--239796.

DH is an amazing artist, I am not but I did order some adult coloring books which is my speed.

Great thread! Another idea is to join a subscription club for a local theatre. We love to have something to look forward to and usually make a date night of it by going out to dinner before or after if it is a matinee. It also exposes us to some shows we normally wouldn’t pick to see but usually wind up enjoying.

We did that painting with a twist where you paint a canvas with your partner with a "teacher" leading the class. We hated it LOL. One woman ended up in tears. I was close. Most couples were not having the best time. If you aren't artistic I do not recommend. If you are then no worries, enjoy it. I feel like they could have done a comedy skit on our experience.

Yes, Geocaching is great.

Also, board games. We got into them during the pandemic, and I never realized there could be so many fun ones out there. I never thought I cared for board games. Always hated stuff like Monopoly and Uno, but there are hundreds of thousands and nothing like the old games we grew up with. We found Board Game Geek and went down the rabbit hole. Now we have a collection of 500!

I recommend Kohaku.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter