Holiday crowds-December Planning

Not Magic Kingdom ! Go for EPCOT! It’s a great Park and offers wide variety of things - rides / food / shopping !

They just announced the Halloween/Fall plans, so I wouldn't bet on the Christmas plans being announced until later, maybe in a couple of weeks at the earliest, if they want to give people the 60 days heads up for ADRs. However, I don't think it will be until the end of September or beginning of October. The chances of fireworks, Epcot storytellers, parades, parties, or CP are very slim. They will probably do decorations, special food, particularly at Epcot, and merch though.

EDIT: I could possibly see them doing the castle lighting or the Sunset Seasons Greetings, but even those are not guaranteed.

We rebooked our end of Aug trip to 12/26 thru 1/4. Never been then, but having to go during NY school vacations limits us. So we are in need of advice on which park to choose for arrival day and where best to put HS so we can try MRR and RR for the first time. How does the following look:
12/26 Sat MK
12/27 Sun Epcot
12/28 Mon AK
12/29 Tues HS
12/30 Wed MK
12/31 Thurs Ep
1/1. Fri. HS
1/2. Sat. AK
1/3. Sun HS
1/4. Mon MK
Figure MK will be best for arrival day cause a lot of rides. We're once a year visitors staying at POP, renting a car. Normally stay a bit longer with PH. 2nd guessing my park days. Thoughts?

We rebooked our end of Aug trip to 12/26 thru 1/4. Never been then, but having to go during NY school vacations limits us. So we are in need of advice on which park to choose for arrival day and where best to put HS so we can try MRR and RR for the first time. How does the following look:
12/26 Sat MK
12/27 Sun Epcot
12/28 Mon AK
12/29 Tues HS
12/30 Wed MK
12/31 Thurs Ep
1/1. Fri. HS
1/2. Sat. AK
1/3. Sun HS
1/4. Mon MK
Figure MK will be best for arrival day cause a lot of rides. We're once a year visitors staying at POP, renting a car. Normally stay a bit longer with PH. 2nd guessing my park days. Thoughts?

Saturdays feel like the busiest days as far as crowds go. At this time, my annual pass still shows as blocked out those days, so maybe that will mean less people, unless they lift the block out dates.

Week days have felt very empty since re-opening. DHS entrance is fairly busy at park opening, then becomes empty as the day goes on.

Bonus for you is the Christmas decorations are so beautiful!

We just got back from Pop, and had thunderstorms every day that closed the Skyliner. Going in December, you shouldn’t have that issue.

I realize that a lot of the normal holiday activities won't be available, but what do you think they'll still have?

Follow up question - what is different in each park from any other day? Anything? Or is just like any other day (super awesome) just more crowded?

The only time we went over Christmas I just wanted to be in the MK on Christmas Day. I knew it would be busy, and planned accordingly. We walked from the CR and went bagless, even with a 2 yr old. We planned on doing our 3 fps, a CP ADR, Harmony appointments, the Christmas parade, and get a few PP photos. We did all of that without any problem at all, and honestly it wasn’t as crowded as I had expected (I had expected the worst). It was a beautiful day in the upper 80’s, we even rode the teacups because the line was super short, and we walked back to the CR to swim before eating dinner at Chef Mickey’s. It was an absolutely perfect day, and I wouldn’t do anything different if I could do it over again. But that’s just me, I knew if we only did Disney actually on Christmas once I wanted to have been in the MK on Christmas Day.

If you are planning on attending church services at CR, it is much easier to head to Epcot or MK. I always prefer to head to AK and traffic is a nightmare around the monorail resorts. Busses struggle to get in or out.

Some TS restaurants have special Christmas menus on both the eve and day. We head over to Boma from AK for their special meal.

Follow up question - what is different in each park from any other day? Anything? Or is just like any other day (super awesome) just more crowded?
I’ve been to the MK on Christmas day a few times. It was just like any other day in terms of no special offerings, just extra crowds.

But I agree with @Rockbro. Most likely reduced capacity this year.

Last edited:
The only time we went over Christmas I just wanted to be in the MK on Christmas Day. I knew it would be busy, and planned accordingly. We walked from the CR and went bagless, even with a 2 yr old. We planned on doing our 3 fps, a CP ADR, Harmony appointments, the Christmas parade, and get a few PP photos. We did all of that without any problem at all, and honestly it wasn’t as crowded as I had expected (I had expected the worst). It was a beautiful day in the upper 80’s, we even rode the teacups because the line was super short, and we walked back to the CR to swim before eating dinner at Chef Mickey’s. It was an absolutely perfect day, and I wouldn’t do anything different if I could do it over again. But that’s just me, I knew if we only did Disney actually on Christmas once I wanted to have been in the MK on Christmas Day.
I agree. Christmas Day at the Magic Kingdom can’t be beat. It’s all about the wow feeling of knowing you’re in the MK on Christmas day. 😃

I don't think the MK will be packed due to controlled and reduced capacity.
Well it'll reach capacity, just a lower capacity. Christmas Is one of a handful days of the year where MK consistently has reached capacity.
If people right now are complaining about crowds during the weekends, mk on Christmas will be the epitome of crowds in this new normal.
It's really too early to know or even predict what sort of offering any parks will have, i would say count on decorations and specialty food and merch but not much else

Whatever capacity they have set they will meet, so if people now are concerned and complaining about crowds during the weekends you can bet it'll be like that or even more crowded.
But it's all doable, I'm expecting operating hours to be extended again, rope drop and stay late will be your best touring plans as always.
I went to mk last year, on Christmas day and roped dropped and it was empty for the first 2 hours, of course they opened the park at 7am :)

We're coming 12/13 to 12/18, though probably only 3 days at WDW and 2 at USF. I'm hoping for lighter crowds than the June trips we usually take.

This Christmas will definitely be different than the usual. Less visitors, less entertainment, maybe less time in the parks. More flexibility to go on rides, more space to walk around, more chances to relax and experience Christmas.

This Christmas will definitely be different than the usual. Less visitors, less entertainment, maybe less time in the parks. More flexibility to go on rides, more space to walk around, more chances to relax and experience Christmas.
THIS! This is why we just booked 12/28-1/5 at POP. We've done NYE before and while it was fun the huge crowds definitely take some magic away. We are frequent Disney visitors so we booked this trip to actually slow down and really enjoy our time in the World. We've never NOT park hopped so the changes will force us to stop and just truly enjoy each park for an entire day. I'm kind of excited! I do hope all the decorations are up and would love NYE fireworks, but even if they don't happen, I really think it'll be a fun trip!

Since my thread got merged and the question disappeared:

How late do you think I can put off buying tickets for December and still have good availability for dates?

We are scheduled for 12/13 - 12/18 and want to do 3 WDW and 2 USF dates. I can buy USF tickets at any point with no issues, but I have to reserve parks for WDW. I have one iffy person for the trip, and of course, I need to be sure ds and gf are still dating (I expect they will be, he is not a date-around guy). I don't want to be out over a $800 on tickets that may have to be reassigned to another trip, but also don't want to miss out on DHS since I have two HUGE Star Wars nerds to contend with...

Thanks!

Just a reminder that virus talk is not permitted in this forum, go to the community board for that. Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter