Hollywood Trip

lookingforward

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I am planning a four night LA vacation. I have to pick up my son at UCLA after his summer program (acting classes) and want to do a quick lux trip there to celebrate the end of my breast cancer treatment!:cool1:

We are staying two nights at either the Palomar Hotel in Westwood (new) or the Beverly Hills Hotel. The price difference is immense and I am still on the fence about splurging quite so much for the Beverly Hills Hotel. Any advice about this is appreciated.

Then we are booked for two nights at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. I have reservations for dinner at The Lobster restaurant on the pier, and am planning on booking Nobu in Malibu when it opens one month out. (we LOVE sushi). I am also interested in Spago or CUT. Any good suggestions?

We will also be there for Sunday so I am looking for a good brunch. I booked a Warner Brothers tour too.

Any good ideas or comments would be deeply appreciated!:surfweb:

I would have booked dinner at Gladstones in Malibu, it's right on Pacific coast Hwy on the beach.

if your gonna do Warner, which is in the valley, it's gona be hot.

I'd say since your gonna be in Santa Monica, check out the pier, oh and the new 1 billion dollar ferris wheel.

if you guys can venture east into downtown LA you should check out Olevera St. (I have posted a link somewhere in the Socal forms here. do a search ) if you can't find it I'll repost it for you.

I would advise going to the Famers Market (there's a really good Cajan place in there The Gumbo Pot here's the website to the farmers market http://www.farmersmarketla.com/ )

if you've ever been to the MGM studios in FL. there's an area that's is a mock up of the actual Farmers Market in LA. it's a very historic and fun place to do some shopping and eating it's located on Fairfax just north of wilshire Bl.
it's on 3rd street and Fairfax technincally.

Rudy (a Socal'er)

I've been to the Beverly Hills Hotel and it is absolutely divine, you definitely get all the services and amenities you pay for. To be honest though it is quite out of the way of everything else it struck me. I'd go for somewhere that's in a better location, where you can walk down the street at night and go to different restaurants and just be out and about. Don't get me wrong the area around The Beverly Hills Hotel is really plush but there's not much there apart from houses.

Last time I was in Santa Monica I stayed at The Georgian Hotel which was lovely. The shops are just a couple of streets back it was awesome! Some great restaurants nearby that I've recommended to others already. Ocean Ave Seafood, which is on the corner where Ocean Ave meets Santa Monica Blvd. and i Cugini on the corner where Ocean Ave meets Broadway. I'm not sure about The Brunch but I'm sure you'll find somewhere good!

As for the WB Tour, I've done it a few times now and it's great fun, very interesting so I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Hope you have a great trip!

I've stayed at Shutter's on the Beach and I loved it! It's fun to walk to the Santa Monica Pier, and just enjoy the great beach there. I think you can rent bikes or skates if you'd like.

I agree that alot of the exclusive Beverly Hills hotels are secluded. The Four Seasons on Doheney is also in a residential neighborhood. I've stayed there several times, and remember walking by homes and apartments on the way to Bristol Farms to pick up a quick bite. But there is always the Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire. I've never stayed there, but it might be a deluxe property in a slightly more convenient neighborhood.

I like the Sunday Brunch at Dukes in Malibu http://www.dukesmalibu.com/

Don't eat at the mexican food place at the end of the Santa Monica pier. I feel it is awful! Awesome view horrible view!

I live in LA and I use chowhound.com a lot to find new places to eat and read lots of reviews.

You should definately check out Hollywood & Vine. It's where the Kodak Theatre is and it has lots of shops. Grauman's Theatre is right next door and the El Capitan is right across the street. I love going into the Disney Soda Fountain & Studio Store that is connected to the El Capitan. The sundaes are huge! And you can't help yourself to a little Disney shopping!

We stayed at Shutters last year and loved it. ChaChas Chicken is a great place to eat and hang out. It is just up the block from Shutters. I would also suggest the renaissance hollywood hotel at Hollywood and Vine. We stayed there before Shutters and the view and location were great. Here is the link http://www.renaissancehollywood.com/ . Have a great time.

We stayed at Shutters last year and loved it. ChaChas Chicken is a great place to eat and hang out. It is just up the block from Shutters. I would also suggest the renaissance hollywood hotel at Hollywood and Vine. We stayed there before Shutters and the view and location were great. Here is the link http://www.renaissancehollywood.com/ . Have a great time.

You should definately check out Hollywood & Vine. It's where the Kodak Theatre is and it has lots of shops. Grauman's Theatre is right next door and the El Capitan is right across the street. I love going into the Disney Soda Fountain & Studio Store that is connected to the El Capitan. The sundaes are huge! And you can't help yourself to a little Disney shopping!
It

Small correction: It is Hollywood & Highland, not Hollywood & Vine.

We used to live in LA and are just back from a quick trip to Santa Monica.

If you are just using hotel as sightseeing base, I'd save the money and stay in Westwood. Shutters will be relaxing enough.

re: gladstones - the view is definitely better than the lobster pot. I've never eaten at the pot. We used to go to Gladstones a lot and did this trip. We found it kind of pricey this time, immense portions, kind of average. We agreed that we probably wouldn't go out of our way for it again.

Brunch - The Loews used to have an awesome Sunday buffet brunch (maybe Saturday, too), but I am not sure if they still do. The place that we really like to eat breakfast/brunch is The Rose Cafe. It is on Rose just over the Santa Monica border in Venice. They have a great outdoor patio and indoor seating. You can either choose wait service, or they have a bakery/salad counter and separate seating are. I'd go with patio and wait service. Food for breakfast and lunch (never eaten dinner here) is excellent. We've always thought that the first scene in the movie LA Story might have been filmed on their patio.

If you want a decent/cheap breakfast, Callahan's on Wilshire is great. It is a dive, but a clean dive that serves great food at reasonable prices. Dukes as a previous poster suggested was always good, and Patricks Roadhouse on Pch in Pacific Palisades is another good place.

Didn't hit Ocean Ave Seafood this time, but we used to like it a lot. There is also Ivy at the Shore and Chinois on Main. Less expensive, but yummy, Il Fornaio for Italian across from the pier. We also love the crepas de camerones appetizer at Lula's on Main (mexican) and would recommend going in even if it is just for that appetizer (blue corn blini with rock shrimp in a butter sauce that is to die for).

Congratulations on the end of your treatment!
When we went to Hollywood recently, we stayed at the Hollywood/Highland Complex and really enjoyed its proximity to: Shopping, Kodak Theater, Graumann's, El Capitan...Warner Bros was a 10 min. (probably less) drive. We loved the WB VIP tour--even saw an actor from ER.
I'd also suggest the Dearly Departed Tours (google them). Fun, campy and thorough tour of scenes of celebrity deaths/arrests/homes etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Here is our itinerary:

Friday: Pick up son at UCLA...check in to Beverly Hills Hotel, dinner reservation at the Polo Lounge (can change if needed), relax at hotel (I will be tired from traveling, renting a car, etc)

Saturday: Explore Hollywood and Vine, possibly book a tour (Dearly Departed???). We have reservations at The Ivy for lunch. Take the hotel house car to Rodeo drive in the late afternoon/early evening, shopping, etc. Dinner at Spagos at 8:30.

Sunday: Brunch at the Belair Hotel, drive to Santa Monica, check in to Shutters on the Beach. Visit Venice Beach for sightseeing. Back to hotel, relax. Walk to the Pier, dinner at Lobster.

Monday: Warner Brothers Tour (10:00 a.m. already booked). Back to hotel, relax at beach. Dinner at Nobu's in Malibu.

I realize it is A LOT...and we can cut things if needed. HOw does this sound. I will have a car and am used to driving in heavy traffic, etc.

you really should go to the farmers market since your going to be just north of it on hollywood and vine,and it's on your way over to rodeo drive.

once you leave the H&V area head east on Hollywood Bl, to fairfax bl, then south on fairfax (it's just north of 3rd street on your left (you're heading south) then when your done you just head further down Fairfax to Wilshire Bl. swing a right. and take Wilshire all the way down to Rodeo dr. (I used to work in that area :) )

:wizard: Rudy

you really should go to the farmers market since your going to be just north of it on hollywood and vine,and it's on your way over to rodeo drive.

once you leave the H&V area head east on Hollywood Bl, to fairfax bl, then south on fairfax (it's just north of 3rd street on your left (you're heading south) then when your done you just head further down Fairfax to Wilshire Bl. swing a right. and take Wilshire all the way down to Rodeo dr. (I used to work in that area :) )

:wizard: Rudy

I will! I remember the Farmers Market from when I did an internship in LA during college. We stayed at a motel right around the corner from CBS and went to the market all the time. Great Idea!

Wow that sounds like fun!
Dont' forget the hidden gem Paradise Cove in Malibu. It is right on the water and really neat at night.
I love all things LA, would love to hear about the Belair and Beverly Hills hotel.... too cool! I was raised in Hollywood and went to UCLA undergrad.
Hope you son enjoyed his experience!
:laundy:

We loved the Beverly HIlls hotel. The service there is not to be believed, really. Its expensive but at least you get what you pay for. The nicest part was the room, it was perfect (and we had the least expensive). The hotel also provides a "free" limo within 3 miles of the hotel, and that covered a lot of LA territory (Spagos, Ivy, etc). You simply tip the driver who is a really great source of information.

The Ivy was fun. We sat outside for lunch and although overpriced, the food was good. We saw absolutely no celebrities there, just a lot of people like us LOOKING for them. HA! The service was nice, not snotty like other people reported.

Spagos was our favorite. Great food, great atmosphere, nice people. The short ribs were not to be believed. Delicious. The tuna appetizer was some of the best sashimi I have had (and I lived in Japan!:rotfl2: ).

We skipped the Bel-Air hotel for brunch because, quite frankly, we were so tired of eating rich meals, etc. We decided to have breakfast at the Fountain soda shop at the Beverly Hills Hotel. It only seats about ten, but the breakfasts were quick and good. They seem to have regulars there and the servers were much nicer to them (and their dogs) then to everyone else, but whatever!

PInks was awesome for hot dogs if you could avoid the wait. The line is LONG. The Santa Monica pier was a huge dissapointment for me. I grew up in New England and pictured something cape cod like. HA! It was gang central (but we went on the weekend). LOTS of homeless people at the beach and in front of the hotels. For a social worker like me, well, I kept thinking that the city of Santa Monica could do a better job of helping them out. It was really, really sad. Lots of mentally ill people too.:sad2:

The Shutters Hotel was just okay. It is a beachy type feel, small lobby, small front desk, etc. The room was perfectly fine, but the price ($515) was too much for the level of service. And that was for a no-view room. We wound up getting a side view of the ocean, which was nice. If I had it to do over again I would have stayed an extra night at the Beverly Hills Hotel. That was total bliss.

As I think I reported before, Shutters dropped the ball on a package delivery I had coming. But other than that it was not bad. The hotel dining room (the casual one) had a overpriced and not so great breakfast.

I love California!~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter