Holy Cow! 450 workers in Disney World fired/laid off?!

I don't know if it is reliable, but it is believeable given the state of the economy. I know that my husband's international law firm just terminated over 500 employees within the last months. I think all companies are taking some sort of hit right now.

I'm guessing it's true because DH talked to a CM friend of ours today who said there was just a big layoff. Must have been what he was talking about. Thankfully he was not a part of it.

It appears to be a legit report. If you click on the "more" hyperlink, it takes you to the full blown newspaper report.

While I'm not sure that 450 is the correct number... I can confirm that we've been encountering layoffs since Monday and they are not done.

That's correct... the news doesn't really report that percentage... 450 is more "dramatic" then less than 1% of the Florida CMs.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The law firm that I have worked at for 34+ years laid off over 100 attorneys and 140 staff members two weeks ago. In all the years the firm has been around, they have never laid anyone off.

It's legit. My daughter is a CM and her manager was laid-off yesterday. He's been with Disney over 15 years. Very sad.

Any job loss is sad. I feel sad for them and anyone who has lost their job.

Since, for now at least, this news has no effect on theme park planning, I've moved this thread to the Theme Parks Community board.

450 is WAY low! They started terminating on Wednesday and have told cast members it will last through next Monday. It is almost entirely office and technical (think front desk, guest relations, scheduling, human resources, etc.) and middle management- guest service managers. Plus anyone non-union who has a "special" role like special events. I personally know about 60 people. These people are 10+ year cast members many of them partners in excellence recipients (less than 1% of cast members recieve this) and they seem random. Don't be surprised if you wait longer in a front desk or guest relations location!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter