" Home" Comparisons

pat-rick

Mouseketeer
The family became aware of the DVC on the last evening of our visit in February but I was not real interested, you know the "TIME SHARE" thing. One week a year, week 34 etc. I started to investigate and found this discussion forum. Well, thank you very much for all the information and tips. What I would like since we will not be visiting WDW for some time is a comparison between OKW and BWV. I have made contacts on buying but am not one to buy sight unseem. So any opinions you may have would be appreciated.

Some of the things I have read are:
OKW has bigger rooms, parking close to rooms, quieter, more home like, larger number of rooms walking distance to Downtown Disney. Less points and less Dues.

BWV has more activity due to the Boardwalk for resturants and nightlife, walking distance to Epcot ( which is a big plus for us ), more of a hotel atmosphere, some noise and higher cost.

PLease give your points of view on this, you have been especially helpful so far. Far more than the Video and book could ever be.

Thank-you again
PEM - RPM
South Jersey

That is basically it. It really is a personal choice.

I love the Grand Villas at OKW. Between parking in front of your unit, the large comfortable rooms, the laid back atmosphere, the activites and smiles from everyone you see, I would chose OKW even if its point schedule and dues were the same as BWV.

But many prefer the closeness to Epcot, ability to walk to MGM and being on the Boardwalk area itself.

I haven't been able to fiure out the lure of VWL yet. It has the same small units as BWV, higher dues than OKW and doesn't offer proximity to any parks.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx,This has failed every time it has been tried, why do we still have liberals?

Tough choice but maybe some of us can add some insight.

Boardwalk (my favorite) is more hotel like. The concept is played out very well. I enjoy the nightlife and the various places to eat - not only do you have those a BW but you also have 2 other resorts across the lake and the Swan and Dolphin nearby. Yes you can walk to EPCOT but you can also walk to MGM, it is a longer walk but an nice walk none the less. You have to experience the atmosphere.

As for OKW, I don't want to make it sound like this is a bad resort - I actually have the majority of my points here. The drawback is the lack of places to eat - one, and the transportation via bus (sometimes it seems like hours). The bonus, this resort feels like a vacation home - not a hotel. And it is very quiet - peaceful. You can walk to Downtown Disney but after walking through the parks all day - it could be a long haul from the front of the resort.

I think the best way to sum it up is to each his/her own. I know this sounds like a cop-out but you can have points in one location and hardly or never stay there. ;)

J.R.
DVC '97

I'd also say that Boardwalk has much more of a good hotel feel to it, with the very large lobby, valet parking, bellmen, room service, shop, etc. It appears that OKW is more like going to a vacation home that you own, where you can relax, but sometimes have to do the cooking.

The different styles appeal to different types of people. It really depends on you and your family - how much activity and night life do you want nearby for your vacation.

Cap

I would have to go with Boardwalk (my home) and it has to be location. We are big Epcot fans and enjoy the walk to there. We also like taking the boat to MGM, haven't been there since they opened the walkway but will be trying it in November. Have friends who swear by OKW - it's all in what you are looking for. I'm sure OKW is a very nice place but I prefer everything the Boardwalk has, restaurants, shops, atmosphere. It's just great, only my opinion.

Everyone is doing a great job describing the differences. I am more of a BWV person so I will add.....
BWV rooms have been extremely hard to book, even for BWV owners ( unless you use the 11 month window)
Room service, the ease of getting the paper, bagels, coffee etc, in the morning before heading out. Two excellent ice cream shops, lots of great places to eat, a modern weight room, a slide at Luna pool, and two "quiet" pools. A nice Communtity hall for the kids, with N 64 games, a few arcade games, a computer, foosball, ping pong and a tv/vcr. All FREE !
Having the ability to walk back to my resort from Fantasmic ( at MGM) is the only way I would ever stay with 9000 other people to watch a show.
Dueling Pianos is nice for adults and you only need to walk back to your room.
I personally think the "noise" is overstated, especially if you own in BWV and use the 11 month window for the non-preffered view. I have never had a problem with noise from the BW, (and I usually stay in the GV's that overlook the BW.)
I feel the room size is fine. I understand why I pay more dues, and the points for a nonpreferred are basically the same as OKW so for those who wish to STRETCH their points, that is an option.
Good Luck in your decision. I am certain that no matter what you decide, you will LOVE DVC! :)

We own at OKW and I must say that the rooms there are the best in my opinion. The livingroom is much bigger at OKW and has more seating. And our family loves having the two queens in the 2nd bedroom at OKW. Our daughters (15 & 18) hate to share a bed so at BWV one of them has to sleep on the pull out in the 2nd bedroom. We usually stay at OKW for longer trips (when we bring a vehicle) and BWV when we fly and are staying a very short time. BWV is very convenient to EPCOT (my favorite park) and MGM. But I have been to WDW enough that I want to do some relaxing while I'm there too. OKW has a much more relaxing feel to it than BWV. To be honest, in all of my stays I have only had trouble with waiting for a bus a couple of times (and we do use the buses while there). As a matter of fact, we had our worse experience with bussing at BWV. We waited for a bus to MK for close to an hour. My husband finally had to go up to the lobby to complain. I think that you have to decide what your vacationing habits will be and what type of atmosphere you expect while on vaction. I think that you will find each of us have a favorite for our own reasons.

[This message was edited by eva on 04-03-01 at 06:36 AM.]

As far as noise goes, I think both resorts have their share of noise if you get put in the "wrong" location. When we stayed at OKW, the first time we were right near a road and it sounded like we were sleeping under test track as the buses went by every few minutes. The second time we stayed there it was a bit quieter but when things got REALLY quiet you could still hear the buses on the other side of the trees from us. I'm sure there are places in OKW where you can't hear buses at all, though, but I'm not the expert.

I've never had a problem with noise at BWV, though. I've also never stayed in a BW view room (I've read a few people complaining about noise here). I have overlooked the quiet pool and didn't hear a peep. We also have had a standard view and the only noise we heard was at 9pm when illuminations went off in Epcot (we could also stand on our balcony and hear the music and watch the fireworks as well). There is some noise from people walking down the halls (if they are being very loud) but I've never been disturbed/woken up by this noise... I've mainly heard it in the afternoons when extremely wound up kids are being brought back to the room for a nap by their parents and go flying down the halls yelling. This sounds a little like being under test track also, just in a different way.

If noise is a really big issue to you, I think there are ways that you can request very quiet areas at both resorts. Because of that, I'd never let "noise" be a deciding factor for me. Just my $.02.

Lisa

"You employ stone, wood, and concrete, and with these materials you build house and palaces. That is construction. Ingenuity is at work. But suddenly, you touch my heart, you do me good. I am happy and I say 'This is beautiful.' That is architecture. Art enters in."
-Le Corbusier

This issue has been debated many times on this board. Search the archives and you will find lots of opinions on this subject.

We own at OKW and BWV. We like them both for very different reasons.

OKW for longer visits, it feels like "home". Very spacious units, beautiful grounds, peaceful. It is just a great place to be after the hectic pace of the parks. The units offer all the comforts of home. (Always stay in a 1 bedroom or larger)

BWV for our shorter visits. It it a hotel atmosphere, with lots of great dining options and evening entertainment. We've never noticed any noise problems. We like being able to walk to Epcot, MGM .. the boat transportation is also a relaxing way to travel between parks and resorts.

One of the major differences between the two resorts is the size of the units. Personally, we don't see much difference in the size of the master bedroom or bath area, but the difference in the living, dining and kitchen area is substantial. We view BWV as more of an efficiency apartment set up, with OKW more like a town home. When traveling with friends or family we always opt for OKW 2-bedroom, because it offers everyone privacy and a large common living area.

The beauty of DVC is the ability to select a home resort (or resorts) that fit how you and your family like to vacation. We believe DVC has done an excellent job offering us wonderful choices to fit our individual vacation styles.

Good luck with your decision, we look forward to welcoming you home!

Have a wonderful day!

Thank You all for the time you took to respond. You have made it that much more difficult to decide. I got exactly what I thought I would. Both places seem to be great with just some suttle differences which as mentioned is a to each his own decision.
All make it sound so great I believe there will be a quick trip down to take a first hand look. I was concerned about not being able to have a choice since both are sold out but in 5 days I received a call on a resale at BWV just yesterday, what timing.

One last question, room service was only mentioned at BWV is that correct or do you get room service at all the DVC Villas.

Thanks again
pat-rick
From South Jersey

No room service at OKW.

We have never stayed in a studio at OKW, so it has never been an issue.

You can order decent pizza or lousy chinese food to be delivered to your room.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs", Karl Marx,This has failed every time it has been tried, why do we still have liberals?

Pretty good descriptions of both with little fighting. Good job!

I love both resorts for different reasons. Longer stays OKW is particularly nice. A quick trip, BWV let's you pack in more action.

I don't cook meals (except breakfast) at OKW but the lack of restaurant choices there isn't a big deal. You are in WDW and there are hundreds of dining choices you come upon every day. You don't need to eat at your resort. There isn't room service but Olivia's will make "to go" items for you and if you have a car the Crossroads Shopping and DD are around the corner. Heck, the Boardwalk is less than 5 minutes door to door!

My wife and I have no kids. With that said we enjoy BWV. We love Jellyrolls, atlantic dance, spoodles etc..(I love ESPN). However I must say when I really just want to relax and enjoy the sunshine, then I like OKW. Really both resorts are great. The WLV not my cup o' tea.

Joe In CT

I am a BW owner, but have only stayed at OKW since purchasing in Nov. 2000. When we did the tour in October, I was more interested in OKW(fewer points per stay and lower dues appealed to me)but it was sold out, so I took BWV. At the time, on-property was on-property, regardless of where. Now, after discovering this board(and trying to stay at the BW with less than an 11-month window)I realize the BW was a better choice for me after all. We are Epcot/MGM people, and as our children get older, allowing them to visit those 2 parks without us will be easier if we are staying at the BW. With that said, I really liked all 3 stays so far at OKW. I was able to get the exact accomodations each time on short notice(even securing a 2-bedroom during spring break a week in advance)at OKW and parking in front of the unit was convenient. My next trip is in 10 days, and I will be at BWV(I got real lucky!!)for the first time. I am also planning a mother/daughter trip with my neighbors in May, and was on a waitlist for BWV. When MS called with BW availability, I had a hard time deciding between the two resorts, so we are splitting our stay! Half at OKW, and half at BW. I have confirmed ressies at BWV over New Year's(made day-by-day)so I can WALK back to my room on NYE and avoid the mass exodus to the parking lot at Epcot! I think you will love both resorts, but you may need the 11-month advantage of purchasing
BWV if you plan on staying there. Even though things will change, OKW is easier to get a room at right now. Good luck!

Everybody has stated most of the reasons why we like both resorts so I'll comment on a few of the things I don't like about OKW.
1: No "theme" pool,would like to have a waterslide of some sort. From what I've read,members voted that idea down because they didn't want any additional dues to build it or pay a life guard.
2: Not enough food choices like the other resorts plus if you compared prices with other similar resorts, Olivia's & Good's to Go are expensive. We just drive over to Port for breakfast. We stopped at the bar one nite- one sambuca,one bourbon= $14.00 !!!! That didn't include the tip.
3: Christmas. We always go in early Dec. The other resorts do an awesome job decorating compared to OKW.
4: Buses. We always stay near the first stop so it hasn't been a problem for us,but we've had a full bus before we ever got to the last stop and had to drive right by people that were waitng. That would really tic me off.

As has been said, it really is a matter of personal choice.We do not like the hotel setting, so the vacation home feeling of OKW is what sold us. We do not have any young children and are not big pool people so the pool is not a problem. We uaually have a car but use the buses to the parks. The only real problem I find with the bus is if you want to go from resort to resort.

When we originally purchased, OKW was our only choice. Since we purchased over the phone without actually touring the resort, we were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room. My wife started to cry - she said that it was SO beautiful. That was 1995. When BWV became available, we attended an open house. I guess that the hotel atmosphere really turned us off. It wasn't until our most recent trip to WDW (August 2000) that we decided to give BWV a try. I knew that I would like the location and I knew that our kids would love the pool. And we could walk to Stormalong Bay. I'm so glad that we didn't have to choose between OKW and BWV when we joined. I can see the positive and negative aspects of both resorts (as described in earlier posts in this thread). It's nice to be able to try out the DVC resorts other than our "home" at OKW. We will spend the majority of our vacations at OKW, but I look forward to taking an occasional vacation at the other DVC resorts.

tcmickey.jpg

Without a doubt OKW is our favorite. We have several reasons for this but to enumerate a few:
*The quiet and serene atmosphere is really relaxing after chasing 3 kids around the parks all day.
*We love golf and it is enjoyable to sit out on most of the balconies and see a wonderful view of the golf course. I have also been known to get some enjoyment out of quietly heckling a bad golf shot of a fellow resort guest.
*We really did not have much choice at the time since OKW was the only act in town for our original buy in and our first add on. In hind sight I would not have had it any other way.
*We love to go to the gym, and although OKW facility is really inadequate, DI is just around the corner. That fitness facilty is top-notch!!! For a nominal fee the whole family can use it for our stay.
*Transportation is not an issue for us since we drive and if we do not want to deal with buses we just drive to where we want to go.
*Finally BWV 2 bedrooms are all lock-offs. The problem with this is that our children are 1,5,11 and we don't like the idea of them having an outside door in their bedroom.
So there you have it. We are OKW to the core. Keep in mind though that a bad day at any of the DVC properties is better than a great day at work!!! :cool:

We are empty nesters but have 5 grandchildren 13 years to 2 years. There are a lot of years and trips to look forward to. It is great to hear your positive thoughts and feelings but the so called negatives are also important to me. I really believe this is the type of home we would really enjoy. The negatives so far are just a matter of one's choice and I thank you for your help and openess. I believe its time to get the family together and look over this thread.
In the future if you see some big guy going nuts with 5 grandsons, a big smile and calling one of the Disney Vacation Club Resorts Home.
Its ME !!!

pat-rick
from South Jersey

It really comes down to personal preference. OKW is no closer to a resort than VWL is. THe boat ride to Downtown Disney is about the same amount of time as the boat ride to the Magic Kingdom from VWL. We have small children and spend a lot of time at Magic Kingdom so that, and it's theme appeals to us. All of the on property resorts are very nice but if I were to rate them I would say:
1) VWL
2) BWV
3) OKW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter