Homemade Cookies on Carry On Luggage?

Mark P.

DIS Veteran
Hello,
We have a special request from my 97yr old Grandfather for some homemade cookies, and by looking at TSA's site, it just had a green check mark for "cookies" carry on and checked bags.
Could vending machine sized bags be permitted, or are we good to go? I'd hate to discard them.

They'd be in a tupperware container, readily available to be inspected and around 1 dozen and a half or so.

Thanks much,
Mark

I've taken some sort of baked goods in my carry on every time I fly to visit my elderly mom, never had a problem. One Christmas when I was taking a homemade Kentucky Whiskey cake, I noticed the TSA agent looking at my bag for several moments, then she called me over to ask me when was in the container. When I told her, she yelled out "OMG!! Homemade whiskey cake over here!" and all the other TSA agents had to have a peek :)

TSA agents are notorious for confiscating homemade cookies, then eating them in the TSA break room. Or if they aren't, they should be. I'd do that if I were a TSA agent.

So you can never be too careful...

That would be a reason not to bring them, not a reason they wouldn't be allowed.

Hello,
We have a special request from my 97yr old Grandfather for some homemade cookies, and by looking at TSA's site, it just had a green check mark for "cookies" carry on and checked bags.
Could vending machine sized bags be permitted, or are we good to go? I'd hate to discard them.

They'd be in a tupperware container, readily available to be inspected and around 1 dozen and a half or so.

Thanks much,
Mark

Why only 18 cookies ... Go on add another few Tupperware box Make him

a happy Grandad make it 40 Cookies or more ( For Sharing )

It wasn't a stupid question. You didn't know, so you asked. I think that's how these boards work. :)

Bless you for thinking of your 97 year old grandfather, that's very considerate. Now share the recipe! :worship:

Well, thank you! More of a lurker, I've been on these boards since '99 and was more active and responded here and there way more back when our kids were little.
I've responded to some questions such as "how to get to Disneyworld from Animal Kingdom Lodge"? (Referring to the Magic Kingdom, of course). That would be the day when I'd reply with a snarky response like the one I had today....I know that it doesn't represent the DIS as a whole.
With all that said, the last thing that I'd hate to have happened is my not asking a quick, albiet apparently inane question, and my lovely wife's efforts wind up in a TSA trash bin.

Why only 18 cookies ... Go on add another few Tupperware box Make him

a happy Grandad make it 40 Cookies or more ( For Sharing )
Lol...Knowing my wife, we'll be needing a separate suitcase for them. Carry on, of course.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks much,
Mark
Cookies are allowed. Sometimes homemade items with irregular shapes and densities will cause the xray operator to pull the bag for additional screening, but this is usually an inspection and a swab of the container

Cookies are allowed. Sometimes homemade items with irregular shapes and densities will cause the xray operator to pull the bag for additional screening, but this is usually an inspection and a swab of the container
Thank you for the info.! Really appreciate it:)

I had a bag pulled for further inspection and swabbed for explosives because I had packed a ziplock baggie of jelly beans. According to the TSA agent which swabbed the bag, there is something about jelly beans in particular that causes further inspection. From what I could gather, the density and/or how they appear on the xray is similar to explosives.

Don't be surprised if they ask you to take food out of your carryon and put it in a separate bin. That doesn't mean it's not allowed, but might need to be separated.

Don't be surprised if they ask you to take food out of your carryon and put it in a separate bin. That doesn't mean it's not allowed, but might need to be separated.
Sounds good. They'll be in a larger sized tupperware, parchment, no foil and right on top of the carry on for easy inspection if need be. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter