Honeymoon to Alaska – 25th August 2014 on the Wonder – pre-trip report!

brer_rabbit

Mouseketeer
Welcome to my trip report for my first every cruise!

The Cast

Me (Lucy) and my husband (Neal). We got married in September 2013 but wanted to save for a big honeymoon rather than go somewhere straight away. Alaska came up as an idea a few years ago as we’re not really lie-on-a-beach-do-nothing people. Of course as soon as I heard Disney did Alaska sailings I knew I had to persuade husband to book with then ;)

The Plan

We sail from Vancouver on 25th August – we chose this date for 2 reasons 1. It's at the end of school holidays so hopefully a bit less busy and 2. We wanted a porthole veranda room and this was one of the later sailings that had them available.

As were travelling over from the UK we want to make the most of our time. We thinking of arriving in Vancouver on the Saturday to give us a day or so to adjust to the time and be able to do a bit of sightseeing. Once the cruise is over we’re thinking of heading down to San Francisco and maybe Napa Valley.

As it's our honeymoon I'm trying to think of romantic things we can do on the ship - Palo bruch is a must but if anyone has other suggestions please post them! :thumbsup2

Hi

Congrats,

I am from London as well.

We did Alaska in August 2013.

There are links below to my blog of that holiday and a photo thread here.

There are navigators there as well.

These should help.

And snap! We went to San Fran afterwards as well.

Excited to follow and congrats on your wedding. We are going on Alaska cruise in June I am also doing my 1st pre-trip report.

This should be fun for you.

Edit: Oh and forgot to say this.... See you onboard. my family and I will be on the same cruise.

Some things to know since you are coming from the UK.

a) YVR (Vancouver International Airport) has a rapid transit station right outside that takes you to the core of downtown, which is where the cruise terminal is. No need to take a cab.
b) If you get the chance in Vancouver, Stanley Park is really nice, but one of the "secret spots" we like taking people to is La Casa Gelato (All that together +.com), which is about 5 min drive from downtown. 200+ flavors and they let you sample.
c) If you are going out and about on transit in Vancouver, you can get an all day pass at a much reduced rate from any of the Skytrain vending machines. Normal tickets expire after 90 mins.
d) If you have never been to the West Coast, please remember that cities are quite distant apart, so there is no such thing as a quick drive to the next city. Seattle is the closest to Vancouver, and that is a 3 hour drive away.

Can't wait to hear about your cruise! DH and I didn't go far for our honeymoon so in July 2015 were taking a 10 year anniversary cruise to ALASKA! Can't wait to hear about yours.

Welcome to my trip report for my first every cruise! The Cast Me (Lucy) and my husband (Neal). We got married in September 2013 but wanted to save for a big honeymoon rather than go somewhere straight away. Alaska came up as an idea a few years ago as we’re not really lie-on-a-beach-do-nothing people. Of course as soon as I heard Disney did Alaska sailings I knew I had to persuade husband to book with then ;) http://s308.photobucket.com/user/lulu_82_photos/media/SAM_0536.jpg.html The Plan We sail from Vancouver on 25th August – we chose this date for 2 reasons 1. It's at the end of school holidays so hopefully a bit less busy and 2. We wanted a porthole veranda room and this was one of the later sailings that had them available. As were travelling over from the UK we want to make the most of our time. We thinking of arriving in Vancouver on the Saturday to give us a day or so to adjust to the time and be able to do a bit of sightseeing. Once the cruise is over we’re thinking of heading down to San Francisco and maybe Napa Valley. As it's our honeymoon I'm trying to think of romantic things we can do on the ship - Palo bruch is a must but if anyone has other suggestions please post them! :thumbsup2

Happy Honeymoon! We will be on the same cruise celebrating our 25 Anniversary!

Hi all!

Sorry it's taken me a while to post an update - didn't really have much to report in terms of planning until a couple of weeks ago.

So today is 4 months until we fly to Vancouver :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Recently I've been re-reading Pete from the DIS Unplugged's blog from his Alaska cruise and it's given me a few idea of things to do and places to go.

First of all we've booked a hotel for our 2 pre-cruise nights in Vancouver - we're staying at the Wedgewood Hotel which looks lovely and has a bath in the bedroom!!

66241c5cfc7448e8992ff33f1e675a58.jpg

Image credit to the DIS Unplugged!

We looked at the Pan Pacific that seems to be v popular with other cruise-goers but found the Wedgewood to be cheaper.

We also finally booked our flights! Virgin Atlantic had some good deals over Easter so we got a good price :thumbsup2 We thought about doing a week in Canada after the cruise but saw a great deal on flights from Las Vegas so we're doing 4 nights there :thumbsup2 So our plan is now:

Saturday 23rd August - Fly to Vancouver
Monday 25th August - Cruise!!
Monday 1st September - back from cruise and fly to Vegas
Friday 5th September - Fly to London

I haven't been to Vegas since I was 16 so I think it'll be a fun few days to round off our trip :cheer2:

LasVegas.jpg

Congratulations! We're on the same cruise as you and we'll be celebrating 15 years of marriage. We're flying into Vancouver the day before and flying out of Seattle the day after the cruise. Cruise, Flights and hotel in Vancouver are paid for. Still need to find a hotel in Seattle. That's awesome you get to spend a few days in Vegas after the cruise! What a great plan! We just spent 5 days in Vegas in April and had a great time!

If you haven't joined the Facebook Group, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/375041592628435/

Enjoy your trip!!

Romantic things to do:

Exotic Rasul in the spa

Dinner at Palo

Couples message in the spa

Looking forward to your TR. DW and I are planning on taking the Alaska cruise in 2015 in late August. There are sooooo many excursions to choose from on the Alaska cruise!

We are on the same cruise. We will be celebrating our 50th anniversary. One of our sons, his wife and daughter will be with us.
Just a heads up for you. There is a huge marathon in downtown Vancouver on Saturday, Aug 23. I'm not sure of the time, but I would think it will run in the early morning. The day will continue with lots of yoga all over the area.
We're going to Victoria that day.

Welcome to my trip report for my first every cruise! The Cast Me (Lucy) and my husband (Neal). We got married in September 2013 but wanted to save for a big honeymoon rather than go somewhere straight away. Alaska came up as an idea a few years ago as we’re not really lie-on-a-beach-do-nothing people. Of course as soon as I heard Disney did Alaska sailings I knew I had to persuade husband to book with then ;) http://s308.photobucket.com/user/lulu_82_photos/media/SAM_0536.jpg.html The Plan We sail from Vancouver on 25th August – we chose this date for 2 reasons 1. It's at the end of school holidays so hopefully a bit less busy and 2. We wanted a porthole veranda room and this was one of the later sailings that had them available. As were travelling over from the UK we want to make the most of our time. We thinking of arriving in Vancouver on the Saturday to give us a day or so to adjust to the time and be able to do a bit of sightseeing. Once the cruise is over we’re thinking of heading down to San Francisco and maybe Napa Valley. As it's our honeymoon I'm trying to think of romantic things we can do on the ship - Palo bruch is a must but if anyone has other suggestions please post them! :thumbsup2

Congratulations, and happy honeymoon! My new husband will also be honeymooning on that cruise. (forum high five!).

Congratulations, and happy honeymoon! My new husband and I will also be honeymooning on the same cruise! (Forum high five!) dde04

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter