Hong Kong Disneyland – Grizzly Gulch

Hong Kong Disney Rob

Earning My Ears

Hong Kong Disneyland – Grizzly Gulch

Walking through Adventureland, we are suddenly walking under the circle train bridge that instantly starts the theme of our new Grizzly Gulch. In fact I have to say that the transition from Adventureland to Grizzly Gulch is one of the best land to land transitions at Hong Kong Disneyland. When leaving Adventureland we are taken back to the old west of miners, and when western towns were really western towns!

When about to enter Grizzly Gulch, we are unable to see anything about Grizzly Gulch, walking up a flight of stairs we are immediately transformed back, way back to the wild, wild west. Looking up we see the peak of Grizzly Mountain that is in the shape of a Grizzly bears head. The land around is tan in color, a very dry wild west feel. The cowboy music played in the background transforms us further to another time long ago.

The railings around Grizzly Gulch are like the old fences of the farms, wood and kind of just tied together. The ground has old rail tracks not in use anymore, bear paw prints in the stone, and rock pavers from time to time. We also see on our right hand side the Geyser Gulch, where from time to time the ground bubbles up then shooting a geyser high into the sky. Do take care because as you look up at the old time water tower, it does dump the over flow right on top of you if you are not careful. So watch out for them bears, and take care walking around that corner of the town as you will get wet.

A live show that you cannot miss is The Grizzly Gulch Welcome Wagon Show. This is a great show that welcomes us all to Grizzly Gulch with song and dance, all to western tunes. I really like this live show, I think that you all will like it also. THIS LIVE SHOW IS A CAN’T MISS!

Walking into the western town, we see a old time jail, a place to sell your gold nuggets, and a small dry goods corner store that sells everything. Take care when walking by the wet goods store, as you may get wet. Let me put it another way, you will get wet! Don’t forget to stop by the blacksmith shop to have your horse shoes touched up. The winding paths keep out vision looking everywhere, as we walk around the gulch! I give the theme of Grizzly Gulch a very strong 9.7! In my review of the Lucky Nugget Saloon in my Grizzly Gulch restaurant thread, I gave this great snack spot an 8.6!

The next stop in town takes us into The Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. Looking up at the entrance we see a large portrait of “BIG AL”! Yes I have said that correctly, Big AL makes an appearance here in our Grizzly Gulch in Hong Kong Disneyland. The very first time I went on the attraction, I thought that is this about the Country Bear Jamboree? But it is not, still I li9ke to see Big Al as it brings back a million childhood memories.

The Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars has two lines, a regular line, and a single rider line. I have done both, and I would recommend that you also do both even if you are a single rider. The theme is of the line is all about mining and the old west way of doing business. It also goes through a logging room, and the offices of the supervisors of that time. I give the line theme of The Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars at least a 9.1!

Once in the cue to get on you mine train, the inside of the station is amazing. The mine train rolls up and we all get on to have a look in the mines, so we think. This is an in your face attraction, much like Expedition Everest. Suddenly we are off, and winding our way through the mine shafts. Up an incline we see several audio animatronics as bears where one huge bear is scratching his backside on the switch to change the tracks. He pushes the switch to change the direction of our cars to go down the wrong side, instead of the correct way being right. We are off winding back and forth again to find ourselves going up a steep 45 degree incline. The old gear is taxed as we head up, we see the cable snap, and we are thrust backwards at great speed out of control for quite a stretch. We then end up in some other mine shaft where they are using TNT to blow out new tunnels in the mine. The explosion sends us off from a standing still to great speed around the mine shafts. We see several more animatronics also looking better from wear as they did survive the huge explosion. We return back to the station, all safe and sound. Even the exit theme is well done, take time to look at that is around, it is so very cool. I give The Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars at least a 9.6! Thus my overall rating of Grizzly Gulch at Hong Kong Disneyland is 9.25!

This is a great zone that I can only hope Hong Kong Disneyland will expand. Please plan to spend extra time in this zone, and you will have fun. Every time I go to the park, I spend a couple of hours around Grizzly Gulch because it is so fun, so well done, and very cool.

Is the rollercoaster scary? Do you think it is too scary 5-year-old boy? Also, do you think it's fine for my parents? They're in their late 50s, healthy, no heart problem. All 3 of them rode the Transformer ride in Universal Studios Singapore with no problem, is this similar in terms of 'scariness'?

Hi:

The mine train ride is not scary at all. There is one section where the train rolls backwards, but all is a very controlled motion. The height requirement is 110cm thus if your child meets that requirement, then no problem. I bet your little one upon getting off of this attraction , they will want to go again.

Have fun at Hong Kong Disneyland!

No problem happy to help. One other thought I have is do rid the attraction in the day, and at night, two very different attractions between day and night.

Have fun and enjoy the magic at Hong Kong Disneyland!

Nice report, Hong Kong Disney Rob! I agree, this is really fun place and I loved the roller coaster. :)

Rob,

I'm enjoying all of your HKDL-centric posts. As I'm sure you know, there is a serious lack of reliable fan-provided info on HKDL in general and the fact that you are "on the ground" (so to speak) is really helpful for those of planning a trip there.

Your background about writing to Disney when you were a kid (that I might have read on another thread) shows that you've got a great old school Disney fanboy thing going on and that gives you automatic cred in my book. :)

I also like how you refer to anything there as "our." Great to hear from somebody who feels a part of that park. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Thanks again.

Thanks Rob :) I can't wait only 59 days till we leave for Hong Kong. I have a heap of questions about HKDL I will PM you soon :)

love the report!

im a person who is scared to go on roller coasters..im scared of that 'stomach drop' feeling i guess. Have not been on one since i was a kid actually. But i really want to go on this ride..it looks like so much fun as do so many roller coasters/thrill rides. Should i try it or would it scare me more? Does it give allot of that stomach drop feeling? Really want to overcome this fear.

I'm loving the Mickey and Minnie plush, I don't suppose you have any idea on price for them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter