• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop De Doo...Any hope for March?

DaisyNY

DIS Veteran
My husband's favorite meal...loves the corny jokes and atmosphere. Any thoughts on reopening? We are heading to WDW on March 1 and recently saw announcements of a bunch of reopenings?

We still have our fingers crossed. But it is looking less likely every day.

Not likely happening until you see restrictions removed from theatres around the US. I am just guessing but it likely has to do with everyone unmasked with close interaction to the performers. Pretty sure the cast is all part of the union which is the one who says what restrictions have to be in place.

Doubtful that HDD will be open in March. I'd have thought any re-opening announcement would happen several months before the show restarts.

As someone who's worked in professional theatre, I can tell you it's definitely not gonna happen by March. A dinner show with unmasked actors mingling with tightly packed unmasked patrons just isn't viable now or any time in the foreseeable future given the current climate. Not to mention the rehearsal/technical process needed to restart.

Frankly, I think it'll be a miracle if we get it back at all.

There are rumors that Hoop-De-Doo and the Polynesian Luau will not be returning.

Ok , here we go ....... take this for what you will .
We are at Fort Wilderness right now , have a 2 week stay in our RV . Last evening (1/25) we went down to grab some food at the food trucks that are available at the Fort Tuesday's and Wednesdays . The Wife went inside to fill up our mugs with some soda to drink at P&J's and heard some noise going on next door and a strong smell of varnish or something coming from next door at HDDR . (I was outside waiting with the dog , wondering what happened up her, lol ) A manager (?) ( named Kelly) came out from the door , and noticed she was curious on what was going on next door . He invited her over into the HDDR for a quick tour and showed her all the progress and COMPLETE refurbishment going on inside HDDR . He said they were in the process of re-varnishing everything inside ( EXCEPT for the podium he stressed which has remained the same since 1974 ) . She saw it all ! He also demonstrated the new lighting system they installed for the show ( was very proud of it) . He said that the HDDR would be re-opening very soon . Cast members will need 6-9 weeks of rehearsals and they were waiting until mask mandates were lifted a little more so they can "fill the house" when they open . He did not give an opening date , but was very excited to share that it WILL be opening very soon . He also encouraged her to "spread the word" !
March is prob. a little too optimistic , but it is coming back ..... soon !
Will be at the Fort for 2 weeks so will check in on it again throughout our stay .

Ok , here we go ....... take this for what you will .
We are at Fort Wilderness right now , have a 2 week stay in our RV . Last evening (1/25) we went down to grab some food at the food trucks that are available at the Fort Tuesday's and Wednesdays . The Wife went inside to fill up our mugs with some soda to drink at P&J's and heard some noise going on next door and a strong smell of varnish or something coming from next door at HDDR . (I was outside waiting with the dog , wondering what happened up her, lol ) A manager (?) ( named Kelly) came out from the door , and noticed she was curious on what was going on next door . He invited her over into the HDDR for a quick tour and showed her all the progress and COMPLETE refurbishment going on inside HDDR . He said they were in the process of re-varnishing everything inside ( EXCEPT for the podium he stressed which has remained the same since 1974 ) . She saw it all ! He also demonstrated the new lighting system they installed for the show ( was very proud of it) . He said that the HDDR would be re-opening very soon . Cast members will need 6-9 weeks of rehearsals and they were waiting until mask mandates were lifted a little more so they can "fill the house" when they open . He did not give an opening date , but was very excited to share that it WILL be opening very soon . He also encouraged her to "spread the word" !
March is prob. a little too optimistic , but it is coming back ..... soon !
Will be at the Fort for 2 weeks so will check in on it again throughout our stay .
Best news!!! So ready for the Hoop to return

I hope this returns--have never been but would definitely like to go (my husband loves corny jokes too and I know he'll love it, and I love watching him have fun!).

I am crossing my fingers...seems like they modified other shows for performers...bring it back in a modified form for our March trip please!

I think the main thing holding this show up is that Disney will likely need to negotiate with Actor's Equity to get a special accommodation.

Equity currently has very strict covid safety rules. The fact that audiences are un-masked and eating at Hoop Dee Doo presents a major hurdle. As it stands now, performers are not supposed to come within 10 feet of audience members. There is a workaround to the rule if both performer and audience members are masked...but I'm not sure that would work for this show. So I imagine one of the following scenarios for HDDR's reopening:

1. All audience participation is removed for the time being. Performers no longer come out into the audience.
2. Performers only come out into the audience at specific times where audience members would be required to put masks on. Perhaps at the start of the show before food is served?
3. Disney works with Equity to get a special exception to their audience interaction rules. Even in this case, we should expect modifications.

We have been to Disney so many times, maybe we like corny, but this is definitely one of our favorite shows there. We are hoping they will be back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter