Hoop-Dee-Doo or Mickeys backyard BBQ

vbmom40

Mouseketeer
I have a 6 year old Grandson and 1 year old grandson which one of these would you do?

I think Hoop Dee Doo is a better show for everyone (all ages). I did like Mickeys Backyard BBQ, but I would only recommend it for people with younger children (which would be your case, though I still like Hoop Dee Doo better).

We did Hoop Dee Doo with our six year old son two weeks ago, sitting near the stage. He absolutely loved the corny nature of the show and "dad humor". We did the 615 show, and he was entertained the entire time, as were two parents and a grandparent.

If more of a chaotic, noisy, outdoor, mass line dancing party is more your scene, do the backyard barbecue.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ hands down! We have done the bbq many times and kids still request it every year and they are all teenagers now.

We did Hoop once and no one has every asked to go back, lol. Hoop de Doo is more of a 'slapstick' humor theme to me while the bbq is more active with characters (lots of photo ops). There is dancing with the characters and also a cowboy who does a great lasso show and interacts with the kids.

Oh, and did I mention 'all you can eat' Mickey bars.....

Of the two we've only done Hoop Dee Doo and it's just been DH and I, but kids love it. It's the music and everything, but I do have to say with a one year old, from what I've seen, Mickeys Backyard BBQ might be better. We just went to HDDR for the third time in Nov. We've gone the last three trips. Out of three trips, DH and I have sat up next to the stage twice so we get attention from the cast while they're on the stage. It's just fun.

HDD for sure. Great show! Good food. You're guaranteed to come out of there singing.

HDDR !

Mickey BBQ is not worth the cost!

Our Ratings of Mickey's BBQ: (*rev 08/01/17*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: D
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: D
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: B
NOTE1: Tables are long picnic tables of about 40 people per table, so you sit with others. No reserved seating, so the "mad dash" for seats can be interesting. There is
no "front row", just the end of the picnic tables. Folks start lining up about 1-hr prior to the 5:30pm seating. Also, the characters are there for dancing and front interaction,
and usually do not go thru tables, so sometimes there is a long line trying to get to the characters. Also noted the sides are open to the weather. They put up plastic diverters
for winter and simple fans for summer, but it does get VERY hot/humid or cold. This is not a well heated or air conditioned pavilion. "Dancing" characters interact well with
kids in front of the stage, and younger kids love it.
NOTE2: Mickey BBQ was always about one-half the price of the Hoop Dee Do Review. With the popularity of DDP, they jumped the price double, including 2-TS coupons. WITH NO CHANGE IN MENUS; NO CHANGE IN CHARACTERS; NO CHANGES AT ALL. Cost was barely justified at lower prices, and not worth the current price for ribs-chicken-burgers.
NOTE3: The characters "dance" in front of the stage, and children come up to dance with them. This creates a lot of pushing by the kids as they try to get next to their favorite
character. There are no lines like in the park for Meet & Greet, and no handlers to keep the kids in a line or heaving.
NOTE4: New in 2016 is a plan to have Cast-1 and Cat-2 seating areas. In order to get more of your money. This makes the place an even worse bargain.

With a one year old I would do backyard bbq. A one year old will not get what is going on with HDDR but will love dancing with Mickey and friends. And while I agree that the food is better at Hoop, we still enjoyed the bbq food.

Thank you for all your opinions. The one year old love singing and dancing, I think we will try both we are there for 10 days. We are trying a different approach this trip with not focusing on all the rides. So if you have any other suggestions please feel free to give them. Happy New year to all of you!

The campground also has pony rides (small fee), playgrounds, horse barn you can go into and see the big draft horses, Walt's calliope (in the horse barn), and horse-drawn wagon rides (small fee). You can also see the MK fireworks from the beach (with the music piped in)
Have fun!

The biggest reason I haven't booked the Luau or the BBQ is that both are outside (yes there is a roof, but still technically outside). The thought of dealing with rain/heat/cold/bugs (aka nature) during my meal is a turn off for me. We have done HDDR a few times and always enjoy it. This last trip it POURED our HDDR night - just having to go outside for the bathrooms was a bummer with the rain, even with the covered walkway.

The campground also has pony rides (small fee), playgrounds, horse barn you can go into and see the big draft horses, Walt's calliope (in the horse barn), and horse-drawn wagon rides (small fee). You can also see the MK fireworks from the beach (with the music piped in)
Have fun!
one thing to remember about pony rides no open toe shoes so bring the sneakers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter