Hotel in Hollywood for one night?

Susie63

Dreamin' of Disney
We have decided to take DD to Hamilton at the Pantages Theater the night before we hit Disneyland. Would it be better to stay in the area or drive back to Disneyland?

Congratulations on scooping Hamilton tickets, they are hard to come by, even for the touring shows.
Last year I saw a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, then drove to the Disneyland area immediately after, and the drive was not that bad, I think it was under an hour; I think that if you stay in Hollywood overnight you may get stuck in traffic the next morning.
If you do decide to stay in Hollywood there is a Motel 6 that is reasonably priced and relatively clean.

We have decided to take DD to Hamilton at the Pantages Theater the night before we hit Disneyland. Would it be better to stay in the area or drive back to Disneyland?

Depends on what time you plan on getting up and driving to DL. Traffic can be incredibly horrendous. If you were going to be on the road at 6 or 7 probably not bad. But if you aren't in a hurry to get there as soon as they open then it won't matter.

I've been stuck in traffic on the 101 from there to the 5 for over an hour and a half. And once you hit the 5 you still have a ways to go to DL.

Are you keeping the rental car? If not, get a hotel near LAX with a shuttle, drop your bags at the hotel, get the car, and drive to Hollywood, then return the car (saves on hotel parking) and take the shuttle back to LAX is in the morning for ground transportation. If you want to go right to the hotel after the show and leave early the next morning, you can't go wrong with W, right across the street from the theater. If you want to make the trip a little bit earlier in the morning, stay farther south, closer to the 405 and take that route in the morning. LAX is a little far from the theater if you do keep the car, but still an easy departure point in the morning.

Or add a half day in LA and leave just after lunch for DLR.

I saw the Book of Mormon two months ago at Pantages (8pm show time). When I got out it was 1045, I checked Google Maps and there was only one section of the 101 that was heavy was nearing the 5/10/101 intersection (its always busy). But after that, it wasn't too bad.

If you haven't been to Hollywood, I would say stay the night and check out the sights and sounds. If that doesn't interest you, then drive back. Although you might be getting back at around midnight or later to the DLR area.

Leaving Hollywood around 11PM you will find almost no traffic - should take you about 30min.

Stay the night and leave around 11AM and you won't hit too much traffic - should take 40/50min.

I got tickets in the presale and it timed out for 4 hours and days were either not put on sale or selling out as I went. I initially wanted to go early in the run, but eventually gave in started looking at the end. I did get presale tickets after several selected seats disappeared from my cart, but it was so stressful and I can't believe I invested that much time and attempts to do it. After the fact I decided it would have been easier to try for other cities that did a queue or lottery and just book and plane ticket. But oh well, I'm going now.

I had to buy resale....and they were expensive. I never buy resale but DD is turning 16 and obsessed with Hamilton. It was cheaper than a car lol.
I think all the shows now are on resale.

I bought my ticket back in May, and it was $80. The same seat on the resale market is now going for over $300+!"

Word of advice, try not to have too many fluids before the play. My bad experience during the Book Of Mormon was there was only one restroom for males and two for ladies and the lines were awfully long...I spent almost the entire intermission waiting in line to use the restrooms.

I paid 380 for each seat but I think they should be great seats. Row NN...left center..orchestra. I would generally never pay that much but it will be a loooong time before Hamilton will have a touring company in Canada....and I am going for parent of the year lol. Thanks for the bathroom tip!

For anyone hoping for an outside chance, they announced today that there will be an app with a lottery for a chance to buy $10 seats.

I have tickets for November, but I'm hoping for a lottery win before then so I can resell my tickets that I got for $89. I knew there would be a lottery, but I am surprised by how long it took to announce it.

FWIW, I live in LA and tend to avoid that part of Hollywood. While not horrible, it is a little grungy. A good number of homeless and undesirables frequent the area, many to sponge off of tourists. If it were me, I'd take in the show and then hightail it down to Anaheim. That being said, you may get a nice hotel in Hollywood and have a great time.

FWIW, I live in LA and tend to avoid that part of Hollywood. While not horrible, it is a little grungy. A good number of homeless and undesirables frequent the area, many to sponge off of tourists. If it were me, I'd take in the show and then hightail it down to Anaheim. That being said, you may get a nice hotel in Hollywood and have a great time.

I live there and avoid that area too, but it's not like Anaheim is Beverly Hills...

If you're really worried about the area, you're better off staying at the W and leaving in the morning than walking to and from some of the parking lots in the area.

All of the surrounding lots will have dedicated spaces on a first come, first serve basis. You will still have to get from your chosen lot to the theater on your own. Good choice on orchestra seats, the mezzanine on the 2nd level is not accessible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter