• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotels: Eden Roc, Hotel Lulu, BW Stovall's, Clarion

denisejk

Earning My Ears
What's your preference between Eden Roc, Hotel Lulu, Best Western Stovall's Inn, or the Clarion?

Considerations:

Hotel Lulu and BW Stovall's are about the same price. Eden Roc and Clarion are $200 less.

A quick walk to the park is important.

Breakfast that we can grab either at the hotel or nearby would also be nice.

We'd like something clean and safe, but we're not the pickiest people when we go to Disneyland because by the end of the day, we're so tired, we could sleep just about anywhere. 😴

Also open to other suggestions in a similar price range.

Thank you!

None of the above. Have a look at Anaheim Islander Inn or Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites.

Stayed at eden roc once, rooms were nice but it was a long haul to the park. I agree with sjmac42 Desert Inn and Suites is my go to spot, call the hotel direct

Clarion was a disgusting dump when client put us up there for a Convention. One person left with a rash and another had dirty underwear in their room.

Told client they either book us at another hotel following year or find a new vendor…it was that bad

Eden Roc was fine, but it's a motel and I had major noise issues there. (My room was right by a stairwell, so people clomping up the stairs late at night and early AM, and hanging out and yapping when I was trying to sleep. No fun.) My family are heavy sleepers so they didn't notice, but I'm a light sleeper and was miserable.

I haven't stayed at either of these places but when I was looking for accommodation a couple of years ago I was going to go with Stovalls.

None of the above. Have a look at Anaheim Islander Inn or Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites.
Thanks! Those are booked for our dates, unfortunately. We have stayed at Desert Inn and Suites in the past, but are planning a somewhat short-notice trip this time around. This will teach us to plan in advance! :)

Eden Roc was fine, but it's a motel and I had major noise issues there. (My room was right by a stairwell, so people clomping up the stairs late at night and early AM, and hanging out and yapping when I was trying to sleep. No fun.) My family are heavy sleepers so they didn't notice, but I'm a light sleeper and was miserable.
I can relate. Thanks for the heads up! If we end up going this route, how long would you say it took to walk from the motel to the gates?

I can relate. Thanks for the heads up! If we end up going this route, how long would you say it took to walk from the motel to the gates?

We didn't walk. We save all our steps for inside the park, LOL. But I do believe it's like a full mile from Eden Roc to the Harbor entrance.

Agree with the negative review of the Clarion. We've heard similar complaints from friends, all of whom have said they'll never stay there again.

Also agree with the rec for Stovall's. People have posted consistently good reviews about them on this board.

We liked Stovall's. It was clean and has breakfast. I prefer to enter from the katella side due to less foot traffic. Unfortunately, most of those hotels within walking distance are just over priced motels with noise issues. We have since opted for quieter hotels offsite and drive to the parks. It's not optimal, but getting good sleep during a couple days in the parks is more important than the convenience. Good news though if you stay on Katella, they opened the new entrance for DCA by the grand Californian so that will knock off steps when ending your day at DCA as you can exit thru that gate as well.

I've only stayed at Edon Roc and the Clarion. Clarion was questionable. I'll still stay there in an extreme pinch.

My family still talks about that one trip that we stayed at the Bates Hotel, referring to Edon Roc. Will NEVER again.

I've only stayed at Edon Roc and the Clarion. Clarion was questionable. I'll still stay there in an extreme pinch.

My family still talks about that one trip that we stayed at the Bates Hotel, referring to Edon Roc. Will NEVER again.
The Bates hotel love it :)

Eden Roc is a NO. Really bad scene. Rooms may be decent, but the "traffic" thru the parking lot is BAD. It is cheap for a reason. It is the one motel I will tell people to steer clear of at all costs.

Good news though if you stay on Katella, they opened the new entrance for DCA by the grand Californian so that will knock off steps when ending your day at DCA as you can exit thru that gate as well.
I was under the impression that this entrance was for PPH guests only and required your key card to enter this way.

Does anyone have any updates now that it's open?

Kings Inn may be another option in budget. Or Hotel Indigo, Alpine Inn, Desert Palms Inn and Suites or perhaps Howard Johnson’s (HOJO’s). Stovalls has good reviews and would probably be 20 mins or so walk. Sometimes the Hilton Anaheim is a bargain.

Stovall's is my second "go to" when going to the parks (first being Desert Inn and Suites, but those prices skyrocket when you're planning a trip on short notice!).
Hotel Lulu and BW Stovall's are about the same price. Eden Roc and Clarion are $200 less.

A quick walk to the park is important.

From Stovalls, you'll go to the crosswalk and cross over Katella, going north on Disneyland Drive. You'll walk past Paradise Pier Hotel, then west (left) through the parking lot to get to the Downtown Disney security checkpoint. Then just walk the length of DTD and you're in the esplanade. To get back to the hotel, you can cut through the Grand Californian and end up on Disneyland Drive, cutting several minutes off the walk "home." In the mornings, it takes maybe 15-ish minutes. I'm not a fast walker though (arthritis in nearly all my joints from my hips down).

Breakfast that we can grab either at the hotel or nearby would also be nice.

I'm always pleased with their breakfasts. Over the last few years, I remember having "make your own breakfast sandwiches," French toast sticks, and biscuits and gravy. I think there was a "generic breakfast" (eggs, bacon, sausage, mini pancakes) once or twice. Always fruit, cereals and breads. Juice, milk, coffee, etc. It's definitely a great way to start the day, and takes me right up until a late lunch time. It's always busy, but I've never had a problem getting a table within a minute or two.

We'd like something clean and safe, but we're not the pickiest people when we go to Disneyland because by the end of the day, we're so tired, we could sleep just about anywhere. 😴

I often travel as a solo, 40-something woman. I basically feel safe there (will come back to this in just a moment). I use a black light before I unpack and have never seen anything that made me ask to switch rooms, so it's "clean enough" for me; however, it doesn't always pass my "white sock test." But it's a hotel room, so I just keep my socks on. It's not like they can shampoo/sanitize the carpets between each guest, so I'm accepting of slightly gray socks. Beds are minorly lumpy, but not especially bad, and not especially firm or soft. Just a moderate but lumpy mattress.

Okay, back to the safety thing. I always feel safe on the walk to and from the parks. Realistically, it's all on Disney property, so anything that happens is on video. They would know if I sneezed wrong, LOL. My only issue was about the pool. Again, solo, 40-something woman. I'm often staying at Stovall's in the winter, so it's dark by 5pm, and the parks close at 8pm, so lots of time to chill before bed time. On my first stay, my room in the west building. The pool is on the east side of the property. To get from the west building to the pool, you have to go through the east building. The walkway was between four rooms. I couldn't see the other side, so I could have easily been ambushed and had no idea if anyone was on the other side of this hallway. Got through it without issue. Got over to the pools and hot tubs. There's 2 pools, and 2 hot tubs. The first hot tub had a couple... ummmm... having "grown-up" time. You can draw your own conclusions about what they were doing, and you'll probably guess correctly. So, I went around to the other hot tub. But it was dark out, and the other hot tub was on the back side of a linen room and not well lit. My anxiety got the better of me, and I went back to my room. Would I have been safe? Yep, probably completely safe. But I like to be able to see everything around me, and having that linen room and an amorous couple between me and the exit was enough to make me feel uncomfortable-ish. Honestly, I'd rather be in a motel's "parking lot pool" on display than to be in a secluded hot tub like that back one at Stovall's.

Despite the pool situation, I still stay there often, and it will continue to be my second budget go-to.

I'm trying Hotel Lulu in September.

We liked Stovall's. It was clean and has breakfast. I prefer to enter from the katella side due to less foot traffic. Unfortunately, most of those hotels within walking distance are just over priced motels with noise issues. We have since opted for quieter hotels offsite and drive to the parks. It's not optimal, but getting good sleep during a couple days in the parks is more important than the convenience. Good news though if you stay on Katella, they opened the new entrance for DCA by the grand Californian so that will knock off steps when ending your day at DCA as you can exit thru that gate as well.
The shortcut to DCA is only for Parasise Pier guests. Hotel key required for gate.

We like to stay at Stovalls. Most of the time we walk, but one trip we used the ART shuttle and it was very convenient and reliable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter