Hotels: walking distance or shuttle options

denisejk

Earning My Ears
Our family of four (2 adults and 2 teens) is looking at a mid-August visit. In the past, we've stayed at hotels on Harbor (at hotels between Fairfield and del Sol). This time, most of the hotels on that section of Harbor are either booked for our dates or higher priced than we'd like.

Looking for some insight on other options...

Can we enter the park through the opposite side of Downtown Disney? Looking at a map, I guess that would be from Disneyland Drive? If so, would this make some of the hotels a little farther west on Katella (such as Alamo Inn) walkable?

Are there hotels with a free shuttle?

Or are there hotels that are close to a parking lot that we can walk to and board a free shuttle? I've heard conflicting reports on whether that's allowed.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

We have walked to the Toy Story lot from Homewood Suites (right next door) umpteen times, never been questioned or had so much as a glance in our direction as we walked in.

Can we enter the park through the opposite side of Downtown Disney? Looking at a map, I guess that would be from Disneyland Drive? If so, would this make some of the hotels a little farther west on Katella (such as Alamo Inn) walkable?
Yes and Yes

Last week I walked to Paradise Pier Hotel and Disneyland Hotel. Both of these hotels are at the Downtown Disney security entrance / exit and anyone can use this bag check entrance.

Are there hotels with a free shuttle?
Not any more. Candy Cane Inn was the only one who had a free shuttle but they are closed for refub with no current reopening date.

Or are there hotels that are close to a parking lot that we can walk to and board a free shuttle? I've heard conflicting reports on whether that's allowed.

Yes, many people have reported walking to Toy Story parking lot and using the free shuttle from the parking lot to the park entrance.

Are there hotels with a free shuttle?..
Not any more. Candy Cane Inn was the only one who had a free shuttle but they are closed for refub with no current reopening date...
The Candy Cane Inn (currently under construction, as PP noted) and The Majestic Garden Hotel (on Ball Rd.) have free, private shuttles. People have posted recent, good reviews about the Majestic Garden's shuttle.

When we stayed at Hyatt House we walked to the Toy Story lot and used the shuttle a few times with no problem.

The Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel is a great place to stay if you want to walk or take the shuttle. I like to walk in the morning over to DTD scan into Disneyland at the monorail and start my Genie Plus. We usually grab some coffee from Starbucks or something from Jamba Juice on our way in the park. Usually not in a big hurry at all. If I have the extra dough I stay at Grand Californian for the luxury of being able to go to my hotel at anytime I want. I highly recommend the Anaheim Majestic Garden though. Its our go to place when not staying at a Disney Hotel.

Try the Hyatt in Orange. Shuttle bus (lots of capacity) runs every 15 min between park and the hotel. Starbucks in the lobby, great rooms, two pools. It was our go-to hotel for many years. We signed up for a Hyatt visa to pay with points, you also get one free room per year and a ton of other perks. Checkin at 10 am at checkout at 3pm is always nice.

The Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel is a great place to stay if you want to walk or take the shuttle. I like to walk in the morning over to DTD scan into Disneyland at the monorail and start my Genie Plus. We usually grab some coffee from Starbucks or something from Jamba Juice on our way in the park. Usually not in a big hurry at all. If I have the extra dough I stay at Grand Californian for the luxury of being able to go to my hotel at anytime I want. I highly recommend the Anaheim Majestic Garden though. Its our go to place when not staying at a Disney Hotel.
Have you stayed there recently? The Yelp reviews are terrible! I was thinking about booking after what you wrote but changed my mind after I read the reviews about dirty rooms and roaches. :/

We have walked to the Toy Story lot from Homewood Suites (right next door) umpteen times, never been questioned or had so much as a glance in our direction as we walked in.
About how long would you say this takes from leaving your hotel to arriving at Disneyland? Are there lines for the shuttle at the parking lot?

We like Stovalls on Katella. Walking distance (just one block further than Paradise Pier Hotel). You can also take the ART shuttle to/from there. We did that one trip and it was very convenient and reliable. Multi day tickets are reasonable and sold at the hotel desk. They hotel also has free breakfast which saves money and time, but they do charge for parking.

About how long would you say this takes from leaving your hotel to arriving at Disneyland? Are there lines for the shuttle at the parking lot?
Longer than walking definitely. Sometimes we got straight on a bus, sometimes there were long queues. Once on it takes about 7 or 8 minutes to get to the gate. Keep in mind I have not been since they started security screening at the lot, so I'm not sure how that impacts. Could make it quicker in the long run, but might depend how early you get there.

Have you stayed there recently? The Yelp reviews are terrible! I was thinking about booking after what you wrote but changed my mind after I read the reviews about dirty rooms and roaches. :/

I have been lucky enough on my last two trip I have stayed at the Grand but I did stay there twice this year. I have never had a dirty room nor have I seen roaches. The staff has always been very helpful. They only negative thing I had during one of my visits is that many of the ice machines where broken and I had to go far for ice. Other than that I still plan to stay there. I plan to stay there in September unless a deal comes up for Disney.

About 10 years ago it seemed like every hotel in the area offered shuttles that were not right across the street. Super 8, Sheraton, Double Tree, Candy Cane Inn, Ramada, among others. I wonder if the liability was too high and that's why these hotels no longer offer this service?

Now I believe your options for shuttles are Candy Cane Inn or Majestic Garden Inn. I can't speak to either as we have not had the chance to stay at these hotels.

Longer than walking definitely. Sometimes we got straight on a bus, sometimes there were long queues. Once on it takes about 7 or 8 minutes to get to the gate. Keep in mind I have not been since they started security screening at the lot, so I'm not sure how that impacts. Could make it quicker in the long run, but might depend how early you get there.
I'm trying to picture this since we've never taken a shuttle of any kind to Disneyland - we've always just walked from the hotel. So, am I understanding this correctly that security checks bags, etc. at the parking lot before you board the shuttle and then you bypass the security checkpoint in the esplanade?

We like Stovalls on Katella. Walking distance (just one block further than Paradise Pier Hotel). You can also take the ART shuttle to/from there. We did that one trip and it was very convenient and reliable. Multi day tickets are reasonable and sold at the hotel desk. They hotel also has free breakfast which saves money and time, but they do charge for parking.
About how long would you say it takes to walk from Stovalls to the gates?

I know that Delta Hotel by Marriott offers a free shuttle if you book through getawaytoday.com. they also offer free breakfast. I've stayed here a few times clean and comfy beds.

I'm trying to picture this since we've never taken a shuttle of any kind to Disneyland - we've always just walked from the hotel. So, am I understanding this correctly that security checks bags, etc. at the parking lot before you board the shuttle and then you bypass the security checkpoint in the esplanade?

Yes, when they moved the pickup locations for busses at the Toy Story lot, they added the ability to have a security checkpoint running. It isn’t always in use. From what I understand it is typically going through first couple hours of the day. When it is, the bus drops you off in a way that you bypass the security checkpoint at the esplanade.

I booked Anaheim Majestic in April and the reviews at the time were not that bad. Since then, I have been reading some of the worst reviews, as if it went ridiculously downhill. I'm considering finding a new resort for my September trip.

Question about walking from the Harbor Blvd hotels: is there a crosswalk directly across from the esplanade or do you need to walk to Disney Way or up to Manchester?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter