• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are December fast passes going?

I did well for my first but it only let me book one fast pass in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Is this normal? It kept saying you already have fast pass booked for this period?
Once you make a FP selection, you cannot overlap the FP window (which is 1 hour) with another FP. For example, if you have a FP for 7DMT at 9:30am, you can't book another FP between 9:30am to 10:30 am (say, Space Mountain at 10:05am). One strategy is to chain FP windows together as closely as you can (a 3 hour block) as early as you can so that you can then start trying for your 4th FP (and more) once you're in the park and finished your other FPs. You are not required, however, to spread FPs out over morning, afternoon and evening selections. The system will allow you to book all three FPs in the morning (for example) so long as you observe the 1 hour window for each FP that you have.

I will say that the "forbidden" times due to an existing FP are not always clearly marked on the website when you're making selections (they are easier to spot if you ask for more available times - the blocked times will be outlined in black). The website will give you available FP times that you both can and can't use (but may make it appear that you can't use any along with the warning that you already have FPs booked for that period). It can be a bit confusing.

thanks! I'm trying to understand.... If I sign up for TP, they assist with FP times? and getting what we want? (I used to love listening to those guys when they ran their podcast)

TP does not assist with FP times. They have a page that unofficially updates the times that are left for "one" fast pass for the day you are looking for around midnight each night. It's only updated once a day. As the week went on last week I'd check it to see what times were available for rides. It gave me a pretty good indication of what I needed to strategize timewise, especially the last time they posted before my booking window came. This is also not part of their subscription, it was free. I do have a subscription and the site is helpful. It's just one of the sites I use to plan.

My strategy for FP is similar to what Shade was saying as an option. I typically lump mine together in the late mornings. That way I can still take advantage of more in crowds, use the FP as the crowds build and then give me a decent opportunity for 4th FPs when we come back for a break. This year I am not anticipating much in terms of 4th FP since there's 6-7 ppl we have to book for so we shall see. I'm usually done with all 3 of my FP by 1130a-1p. This year I'm crossing my fingers for an hours change FP for 7DMT in the morning, bc the opening shows it as 9am but no way it doesn't get changed to 8am. If I can't get one, I at least have 7DMT for 5pm, but I'll have zero luck for 4th FP after that.

I think TP in their blog somewhere has a chart of a guesstimation on what you can expect available as a 4th FP. Last time they updated it was earlier this year so I can't remember if it had Pandora or not on it. It's a great chart saying typically at what hour/or days before all FPs for each ride will be gone based on how busy park is. Gives you an idea what might be available as a 4th FP. Obviously it's impossible to predict but based on their trackings over a year or so it gives a decent indication

TP does not assist with FP times. They have a page that unofficially updates the times that are left for "one" fast pass for the day you are looking for around midnight each night. It's only updated once a day. As the week went on last week I'd check it to see what times were available for rides. It gave me a pretty good indication of what I needed to strategize timewise, especially the last time they posted before my booking window came. This is also not part of their subscription, it was free. I do have a subscription and the site is helpful. It's just one of the sites I use to plan.
Do you have the link for that?

A question regarding fp and modifying them-specifically trying Na’vi to FoP. When I try to do that modification, it says no FoP are available to modify to. However it also says that no EE or KS are available for that day. Since I already have an EE, I went into EE and pushed modify (for same amount of people) and it gave me three morning options! Made me wonder if a FoP pops up will it show it? I thought the modify was the way to go but maybe I’m missing something? Is it because I already have those fp (KS and EE) that it doesn’t give me those options because I can’t pick the same one twice, I would need to modify? Hope that makes sense!

Also, did want to report I had good luck yesterday morning with fp at good times for my short trip except for FoP. Got 7DMT on 60+2. Didn’t try other days for that though.

Last edited:
A question regarding fp and modifying them-specifically trying Na’vi to FoP. When I try to do that modification, it says no FoP are available to modify to. However it also says that no EE or KS are available for that day. Since I already have an EE, I went into EE and pushed modify (for same amount of people) and it gave me three morning options! Made me wonder if a FoP pops up will it show it? I thought the modify was the way to go but maybe I’m missing something? Is it because I already have those fp (KS and EE) that it doesn’t give me those options because I can’t pick the same one twice, I would need to modify? Hope that makes sense!

Also, did want to report I had good luck yesterday morning with fp at good times for my short trip except for FoP. Got 7DMT on 60+3. Didn’t try other days for that though.

I think I understand what you are saying. Yes if you have the FP already it will show no times available unless you go to that specific ride to search for times. At least that's what I think. FoP prob says no times bc there prob isn't any for your party size :)

Yes if you have the FP already it will show no times available unless you go to that specific ride to search for times.

This is correct. You can not hold two FP for the same attraction on the same day. So, if you hold a Safari FP, you can modify that particular FP to another Safari FP time, assuming availability. If you try to modify a different FP to Safari when you already hold Safari, you won't see any availability.

If there were any FOP availability for the number of your party, I think it would show up. You could try reducing the party size to 1 just to see if there were ANY openings at all.

We're going to WDW for the first time Dec 18-22 and our 60 day out is on Oct 19 (~36 more hours!).

The high priority ones I'm looking for are:
61 days - Flight of Passage (I know I won't get the morning, so looking around 5 or 5:30pm or around 8pm) - for 2 people
61 days - Na'vi River Journey - for 1 person (or will do for all if I can't get FOP and we'll just rope drop and cross our finger)
60 day - Toy Story Mania (around noon or 1pm)
64 days - Frozen Ever After - late afternoon as we have ADRs at 5pm at Akershus
65 days - SDMT - (around 10am or 11am)

How feasible do you think this is based on your experience for getting December FP+?

PS: Planning for this Disney trip has been so much more stressful than I expected! between ADRs, seeing park hours change, FP+, touring plans, etc. and trying to do this 6+ months or 2+ months in advance of our trip!

I need a little hand holding - and someone to tell me that everything will work out. Starting when my daughter was 3 years old we went to Disney multiple times a year - till she was 13. Then we took a break and traveled the world a while. When I ask what she wanted for her 21st birthday, she said she wanted to go back to Disney. I loved the idea, so I booked a discounted package and started reading about what had changed in the past 8 years. Oh, my am I overwhelmed!

I thought I had the FP+ thing figured out, only to find this thread and see that 60 days out does not have a good likely hood for getting many of the new rides - primarily FoP and 7DMT. Tomorrow is my 60 day mark. We have 5 days in Disney and it doesn't look good for us to get a FoP for December 18 or 7DMT for December 17. I think there is some hope for 7DMT on our second MK day of 12/20, but we only have one other morning at AK 12/21 - and I already have the FPs planned for that evening in Epcot (our favorite park). I would consider doing 2 FP in AK on the 21st to help us get on FoP, but I don't know where to put the 3rd FP in AK. This is our last day and the chance of us getting to AK early isn't good as we must check out of our hotel room. Should I just make a throw away FP for 9 am - then I can hope for a late day FP for something in Epcot? I'm just really bummed out. I really liked the old system so much better!!

So that's my sob story. Tell me it will all work out!!

Also, as I'm making my FP picks in the morning do I have to make all of my picks for one day at the same time, or can I jump from FoP on 12/18 to 7DMT on 12/17 then Toy Story on 12/19? Can I just rank them by how hard they are to get and then start at the top of the list?

Ughh. I'm just feeling overwhelmed!! Thanks in advance for the help. I think I'm getting too old for this!!

This is correct. You can not hold two FP for the same attraction on the same day. So, if you hold a Safari FP, you can modify that particular FP to another Safari FP time, assuming availability. If you try to modify a different FP to Safari when you already hold Safari, you won't see any availability.

If there were any FOP availability for the number of your party, I think it would show up. You could try reducing the party size to 1 just to see if there were ANY openings at all.

I think I understand what you are saying. Yes if you have the FP already it will show no times available unless you go to that specific ride to search for times. At least that's what I think. FoP prob says no times bc there prob isn't any for your party size :)

Thank you both for your responses! I’ll keep trying for FoP!

but we only have one other morning at AK 12/21 - and I already have the FPs planned for that evening in Epcot (our favorite park). I would consider doing 2 FP in AK on the 21st to help us get on FoP, but I don't know where to put the 3rd FP in AK. This is our last day and the chance of us getting to AK early isn't good as we must check out of our hotel room. Should I just make a throw away FP for 9 am - then I can hope for a late day FP for something in Epcot? I'm just really bummed out. I really liked the old system so much better!!

Also, as I'm making my FP picks in the morning do I have to make all of my picks for one day at the same time, or can I jump from FoP on 12/18 to 7DMT on 12/17 then Toy Story on 12/19? Can I just rank them by how hard they are to get and then start at the top of the list?

I certainly am not the expert, but I know there's another post all about doing FPs when you're parkhopping. I didn't read it though as we're not parkhopping (planning for our Disney trip has proven to be stressful for me too, and I can't imagine trying to coordinate parkhopping with little kids!).

As for your second question, definitely book based on priority and not by day! That's one tip I've read consistently on these forums!!

Good luck tomorrow morning! I'm doing ours the following day!

I need a little hand holding - and someone to tell me that everything will work out. Starting when my daughter was 3 years old we went to Disney multiple times a year - till she was 13. Then we took a break and traveled the world a while. When I ask what she wanted for her 21st birthday, she said she wanted to go back to Disney. I loved the idea, so I booked a discounted package and started reading about what had changed in the past 8 years. Oh, my am I overwhelmed!

I thought I had the FP+ thing figured out, only to find this thread and see that 60 days out does not have a good likely hood for getting many of the new rides - primarily FoP and 7DMT. Tomorrow is my 60 day mark. We have 5 days in Disney and it doesn't look good for us to get a FoP for December 18 or 7DMT for December 17. I think there is some hope for 7DMT on our second MK day of 12/20, but we only have one other morning at AK 12/21 - and I already have the FPs planned for that evening in Epcot (our favorite park). I would consider doing 2 FP in AK on the 21st to help us get on FoP, but I don't know where to put the 3rd FP in AK. This is our last day and the chance of us getting to AK early isn't good as we must check out of our hotel room. Should I just make a throw away FP for 9 am - then I can hope for a late day FP for something in Epcot? I'm just really bummed out. I really liked the old system so much better!!

So that's my sob story. Tell me it will all work out!!

Ughh. I'm just feeling overwhelmed!! Thanks in advance for the help. I think I'm getting too old for this!!

I wasnt able to get 7DMT on my second day but it's also a party day. My check in day is a Monday and those that check in the sat and sun before me didn't seem to have a problem. I was able to snag two for 7DMT today but that won't cover my whole party. Ill have to keep checking for more. I guess the point of that story is if you don't get it at first you can keep trying.
If you aren't able to get FOP then you may want to get one for Navi. At least you won't have to stand in both lines. Good luck to you.

We're going to WDW for the first time Dec 18-22 and our 60 day out is on Oct 19 (~36 more hours!).

61 days - Flight of Passage (I know I won't get the morning, so looking around 5 or 5:30pm or around 8pm) - for 2 people
61 days - Na'vi River Journey - for 1 person (or will do for all if I can't get FOP and we'll just rope drop and cross our finger)

How feasible do you think this is based on your experience for getting December FP+?

PS: Planning for this Disney trip has been so much more stressful than I expected! between ADRs, seeing park hours change, FP+, touring plans, etc. and trying to do this 6+ months or 2+ months in advance of our trip!

The only days we coincide at parks is HS if that’s the 18th for you so I checked and TSMM is still available at the time you want Hope that stays that way for you!

The only days we coincide at parks is HS if that’s the 18th for you so I checked and TSMM is still available at the time you want Hope that stays that way for you!
Thanks for checking! I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it's still there in a couple of days!

Your plans look fine with one exception: you won't be able to book advance FPs for both FoP and Navi on the same day - you'll have to pick one. No guarantees, but you should be able to get FoP later in the day/evening (I saw that today for a 60+1). Everything else looks great.
Edit: looks like that may be a separate FP - as long as a guest isn't doing both rides, you should be able to book it. And yes it'll be available.
I need a little hand holding - and someone to tell me that everything will work out.

I thought I had the FP+ thing figured out, only to find this thread and see that 60 days out does not have a good likely hood for getting many of the new rides - primarily FoP and 7DMT. Tomorrow is my 60 day mark. We have 5 days in Disney and it doesn't look good for us to get a FoP for December 18 or 7DMT for December 17. I think there is some hope for 7DMT on our second MK day of 12/20, but we only have one other morning at AK 12/21 - and I already have the FPs planned for that evening in Epcot (our favorite park). I would consider doing 2 FP in AK on the 21st to help us get on FoP, but I don't know where to put the 3rd FP in AK. This is our last day and the chance of us getting to AK early isn't good as we must check out of our hotel room. Should I just make a throw away FP for 9 am - then I can hope for a late day FP for something in Epcot? I'm just really bummed out. I really liked the old system so much better!

Everything will work out. The rides that are the most difficult for FPs are FoP, 7DMT and FEA - although the latter two have become easier than they used to be. You might be able to get FoP for 60+1 but it would likely be late in the day if at all. FoP is more reliable the further out you go. If you don't get it, consider a rope drop on 12/21 and save your FPs for Epcot later that day. Rope drop is not ideal for FoP, but I've done it twice and it's a reasonable alternative. You may be able to get 7DMT on Dec 17 - but that's a party night and that restricts the number of late day FPs. If not, you almost certainly should get it for 12/20. Finally - you can jump around all you want when making FP selections. You'll pick the date, then the park and then the ride. You don't have to make all your picks for the same day or all at once. You don't even have to make 3 picks for a day. One final note: even if a FP is only available for a time that doesn't work for you, you may want to reserve it anyway and then go back later to see if you can modify the time.

Good luck to both of you!

Your plans look fine with one exception: you won't be able to book advance FPs for both FoP and Navi on the same day - you'll have to pick one. No guarantees, but you should be able to get FoP later in the day/evening (I saw that today for a 60+1). Everything else looks great.

Thank you for the reassurance! The FOP would be for my DH (I'm hoping I can do a rider switch with him and if my 5yo DS wants to come with me, he can as I think the rider switch is good for 2 or 3 people, but he might be too scared so I want my DH to test it out first) and NRJ would be for DS and me (my understanding is my 2yo DD doesn't need a FP+ and will just get whatever I get, assuming it's a ride that she can actually go on).

I was reading these forum threads with a complete sense of dread, but you all are giving me some glimmers of hope! thank you!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter