how bad is Delta???

glenpreece

DIS Veteran
For my next trip in August I got a really cheap flight with Delta, I have a layover in Minneapolis on the way down (makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever) and a layover in Detroit on the way home (not as absurd). So how bad is delta I usually fly Air Canada or Westjet but the delta flight was over $200 cheaper. I've only flown Airtran as far as American Carriers goes. I hope i can find the Earl of Sandwich in the Detroit airport :) So how bad is Delta???

Delta has the WORST legroom of any airline I've ever been on!! This is a well known fact...... aside from that, they're as good as any other airline.

When I was pregnant, flying with my husband, the person in front of me reclined and I swear there was about 6 inches clearance between my pregnant belly and his seat.

I don't know if this has changed since then.

For my next trip in August I got a really cheap flight with Delta, I have a layover in Minneapolis on the way down (makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever) and a layover in Detroit on the way home (not as absurd). So how bad is delta I usually fly Air Canada or Westjet but the delta flight was over $200 cheaper. I've only flown Airtran as far as American Carriers goes. I hope i can find the Earl of Sandwich in the Detroit airport :) So how bad is Delta???

Delta is one of the legacy airlines - been around a very long time. They are my preferred carrier - the least-bad of a pretty lousy lot.

eh it's alright. :confused3Seats are a little small we were all over the place between two rows. They give you 15 minutes of free wifi on each flight but after that. For tall people like my son, it wasn't enough room. otherwise, well you know.

I only fly Delta but I am from MN. It has the only direct flights to some places that I need to go! I really hate layovers, I have had way to many problems with them on other airlines.

I can almost guarantee it'll be better than flying Air Canada. They might even get you there on time. (Sorry if this seems biased, Air Canada has left me stranded, unapologetically, numerous times, in numerous airports.)

Delta is one of the legacy airlines - been around a very long time. They are my preferred carrier - the least-bad of a pretty lousy lot.
HAHAHA yeah flying anyways with anyone really isn't fun at all.

I find it ridiculous though that I have to connect in Minneapolis considering it's way outta the way to go to Florida. I could've chosen ATL but it would've gotten me ther at 11:51 and then after 1am to wdw.

I can almost guarantee it'll be better than flying Air Canada. They might even get you there on time. (Sorry if this seems biased, Air Canada has left me stranded, unapologetically, numerous times, in numerous airports.)
The only times I've been delayed with AC was on my first trip to WDW it's was a blizzard and we waited forever to be de-iced. And coming home from Paris they were late arriving so we were late leaving Paris.

Why would you automatically assume it's bad? It's the same as pretty much every other airline out there...

Flying sucks, but it is what it is.

Why would you automatically assume it's bad? It's the same as pretty much every other airline out there...

Flying sucks, but it is what it is.
Because my best friend who lives in France has to fly Delta when he visits because they're partnered with Air France and he tells me how awful they are.

I'm a Delta frequent flyer and any problem I've ever had (I.e., a rude gate agent or misinformation from a phone rep) have been dealt with by the customer service people at the airport and via an apology via email. I've flown CVG-CDG (Paris) via Delta and if you pay an extra $60 you can get a larger seat with more legroom and more reclining. I don't get the issue with the poster whose friend thought that the CDG flight was bad:confused3.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying home from Long Beach via Salt Lake City, Atlanta THEN home! The direct flights are outrageous in price (regardless of carrier) but this puddle jumping is the cheaper way to go.

Welcome to flying in the 21st century. There's fewer flights and the glamour of air travel is a thing of the past.

I'm a Delta frequent flyer and any problem I've ever had (I.e., a rude gate agent or misinformation from a phone rep) have been dealt with by the customer service people at the airport and via an apology via email. I've flown CVG-CDG (Paris) via Delta and if you pay an extra $60 you can get a larger seat with more legroom and more reclining. I don't get the issue with the poster whose friend thought that the CDG flight was bad:confused3.

Tomorrow morning I'm flying home from Long Beach via Salt Lake City, Atlanta THEN home! The direct flights are outrageous in price (regardless of carrier) but this puddle jumping is the cheaper way to go.

Welcome to flying in the 21st century. There's fewer flights and the glamour of air travel is a thing of the past.
My friend isn't used to the abruptness and lack of niceties (for lack of a better term) that we as North Americans are. The fact that we have stores that are open on Sundays and 24hrs is astonishing to him. I just wondered if his complaints as well as others I've read online we're accurate or if it just a matter of not being used to how things are done in America. That's all. I am just so looking forward to this trip and going to a different resort since I'm not staying at Pop again.

I would spend $200 more to fly another carrier than Delta. They are by far the worst carrier around and that is no joke. Get to whatever airport you are flying early as they have a history of having staff dissapear from the counter when they can bump you.

Lost luggage? Delta has to hold the record for this. Everyone I know who has flown Delta they've lost their luggage.

Don't want to make you worry, but there are better choices than Delta in my book. I will never fly them again and made that statement 7 years ago and never have. Even paid more to fly another carrier and would do it every time.

firstcruise said:
They are by far the worst carrier around and that is no joke.

Lost luggage? Delta has to hold the record for this. Everyone I know who has flown Delta they've lost their luggage.

You should really avoid stating opinions as facts. Delta has never once lost my luggage, and in my family's experience, USAir is a thousand times worse. USAir defrauded us out of a round-trip ticket when a family emergency required us to change plans. They are also the only airline that has ever lost my luggage.

I can only recall flying Delta once and it was earlier this year. (Yes I know Delta is the major airline out of DTW, but that doesn't mean best prices or flight times.) I can't say as though I had any issue with them. It seemed to take twice as long to load the plane. Any other issues with that trip were 100% attributable to the airport and TSA.

As for Earl of Sandwich, you will not be so lucky unless you have an extremely long layover. Earl of Sandwich is in the North Terminal. Delta monopolizes the new McNamara Terminal.
dtw.gif

There is a shuttle that will take you between terminals, but it takes 10-15 for the ride alone, plus you'd need to go through TSA to get your snack (if they'd let you with a boarding pass to the other building). Then back through TSA at McNamara.

Better off to double up at DTD.

Delta has the WORST legroom of any airline I've ever been on!! This is a well known fact...... aside from that, they're as good as any other airline.

When I was pregnant, flying with my husband, the person in front of me reclined and I swear there was about 6 inches clearance between my pregnant belly and his seat.

I don't know if this has changed since then.

I travel a lot for work, so I agree with the previous poster's very accurate assessment of the airline industry: "a pretty lousy lot".

I laughed at the quote above, not because of her situation, but because I was in the same boat the last time I was on Delta. The guy in front of me reclined ALL THE WAY back (and then some, I think). I said to him, "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to sit up. If you recline any further, you're going to owe me dinner. "

My biggest complaint with Delta is that out of all the airlines I've used, they are the ones who I've had the most uncomfortable seats, missed flights, cancellations, delays, lost luggage and such - and ended up being one of the most troublesome of the "lousy lot". That just could be my luck, too...but be aware that any travel through Atlanta may cause issues.

No matter which airline you choose, the best we passengers can hope for is to get to our destination on time and in one piece and that our flight attendants are not having a bad day. My advice: Just keep your thoughts on what awaits you at the end of the flight!

I travel a lot for work, so I agree with the previous poster's very accurate assessment of the airline industry: "a pretty lousy lot".

I laughed at the quote above, not because of her situation, but because I was in the same boat the last time I was on Delta. The guy in front of me reclined ALL THE WAY back (and then some, I think). I said to him, "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to sit up. If you recline any further, you're going to owe me dinner. "

My biggest complaint with Delta is that out of all the airlines I've used, they are the ones who I've had the most uncomfortable seats, missed flights, cancellations, delays, lost luggage and such - and ended up being one of the most troublesome of the "lousy lot". That just could be my luck, too...but be aware that any travel through Atlanta may cause issues.

No matter which airline you choose, the best we passengers can hope for is to get to our destination on time and in one piece and that our flight attendants are not having a bad day. My advice: Just keep your thoughts on what awaits you at the end of the flight!
That's exactly how I feel. as long as I arrive alive and they don't lose my luggage I'm happy.

I'm not a good flyer, scares the hell out of me and try not to fly if I don't have to. I try my best to restrict myself to just Air Canada and West Jet. On my upcoming trip I was coonsidering Delta, but a great deal popped up for AC and had to snag it.

So I did at least consider them, since they seem to have a pretty decent safety record....!

I'm not a good flyer, scares the hell out of me and try not to fly if I don't have to. I try my best to restrict myself to just Air Canada and West Jet. On my upcoming trip I was coonsidering Delta, but a great deal popped up for AC and had to snag it.

So I did at least consider them, since they seem to have a pretty decent safety record....!
I really, really love Westjet not so wild about AC a much. But they were just too expensive this time. I'm flying with them for my b-day trip in Oct though :)

It all depends on your expectations and then how well they're operating that day....oh and the weather.

I am biased - my partner works for Delta - has for 18 years...so we fly mostly Delta. They recently topped the other major carriers in LEAST lost luggage as reported by the DOT. They do their best to get you there with your bags. Odds of misconnects do happen with tight layovers/connections - so if you have a good amount of time between flights, you should be OK. :teacher:

Staff is hit or miss - but you get that with any carrier. I find the inflight staff is nicer and makes an effort more than other major carriers. I fly internationally for work and don't think Delta's the top in International service for Europe or Asia - but they're by far NOT the worst.

Hope things work for you and you have a nice travel experience. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter