How bad is Easter?

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
Ok give it to me straight: how bad is Easter in terms of crowds?? I’ve been wanting to go to Disney World and I probably won’t be able to get DH to agree, but I found cheap flights for the Wednesday before to the Thursday after Easter. But if the crowds are awful the whole time we probably won’t enjoy it. Because of other vacations we have planned for this year and sports commitments for my kids, this would probably be our only chance to go this year. My DH is pretty set against going this year but I might be able to convince him if the price is right!! 😉

If you found cheap flights, that would be so tempting for me. We're going that week - from Friday 4/3 to Thurs 4/9. And I've never gone this week - have tried to avoid it like the plague. But kids schedules just make it harder to plan for any other time of the year. So we've bit the bullet and are going. You just need a good plan. I'm expecting the WORST and doing what I can to plan around it. Here's the real deal, though - it just expensive. Ticket prices are outrageous (more so than usual). I follow these boards pretty religiously and I've gone many times. So here's my plan of attack - we are there for 5.5 days:
  • 3 days base ticket - 2 HS days, 1 Epcot day
  • 2 DAH tickets - MK and AK
  • 1 Water Park (likely going the day of the MK DAH)
  • DS maybe on the AK DAH day
  • Lots of resort time/pool
  • Knowing we'll be back, it's not critical that we ride everything. After Hours parties will help us avoid some of the crowds.
  • HS days will be nuts - I know this already
  • Epcot can be a late arrival day to sleep in after MK DAH
I say, have a plan and don't wear out the family. I did that a few years ago and I thought DH would never allow us to go back again. 😟 So I'm just trying to make sure we hit everyone's "must do's" - Star Wars (new for all of us) and Toy Story Land (new for the boys); hit people's favorites (TOT, FOP, etc.). And plan for down time.

Talk to me after I get back - you know what they say about the "best laid plans"! LOL

Thanks for the feedback! We already have tickets for 3 of us that have been sitting in my account burning a hole in my pocket so we would only need to buy 1 ticket! Lol! I just want to see all the new Star Wars stuff so bad since I'm a big fan! I was thinking we would go next year for the kids' spring break but my DH might be blocked out of vacation at that time so I don't think I can depend on that now. And we're already doing another big trip in the fall, so that's out. We'll have to see what we can make work!

We have went the last two years at Easter. Personally, I think trips we have taken in October have been much worse for crowds. Spring break is crowded but it is all about how do you the parks. We love it! The weather is hot but not miserable and not as much rain. It is all about the attitude, goals, and expectations. If your style is maximizing rides it probably won't be great for you. if you go in with the idea to go with the flow, you'll be fine. If you like to hit your "requirements" and then see what happens, the crowds are no issue at all.

Our plan:
We get up early and go for rope drop. Get fastpasses for around lunch (like 10:30, 11:30, and 1) normally eat a table service lunch around 12, and then take an afternoon break or just take whatever doesn't have a long line, and finally go back in the evening when things start to thin out (normally a park hop too) or enjoy the pool or resort movie. We also do the water parks for a day (or two) which are normally not as crowded as they are in the summer.

I get everyone up early to use the extra magic hours in the morning for the rides we don't have fastpasses for. Then we have a buffet breakfast around 9:15-9:30 or so. After that use our fastpasses. We head back to our hotel around 1-2pm for pool time. In the evening we return to ride favorites or things we missed.

Do we ride every ride or see every show? No. Do we love the weather and enjoy our pool time? Yes!

We have tried going in early March but we prefer Easter.

We have gone on MLK & Presidents day due to the long weekend and it is crowed and COLD.
And we have gone on Easter. It is busy but doable.

We always have the week after instead of the week before. So we are intending to fly down Easter Monday.

Hoping for lower crowds and good weather. The weather is more important ;)

We went to MK on Easter in 2016 and it was so crowded I felt like I had to shuffle my feet and hold my arms directly at my sides in order not to run into anyone while we were walking. It was crazy!

We went to MK on Easter in 2016 and it was so crowded I felt like I had to shuffle my feet and hold my arms directly at my sides in order not to run into anyone while we were walking. It was crazy!

We did MK 2014 Easter and the experience was the same...especially that part between It's a Small World and Peter Pan - like shoulder to shoulder crowd. The other parks weren't too bad. Rope drop would be key!! I wouldn't let it stop me from going though lol.

Ok give it to me straight: how bad is Easter in terms of crowds?? I’ve been wanting to go to Disney World and I probably won’t be able to get DH to agree, but I found cheap flights for the Wednesday before to the Thursday after Easter. But if the crowds are awful the whole time we probably won’t enjoy it. Because of other vacations we have planned for this year and sports commitments for my kids, this would probably be our only chance to go this year. My DH is pretty set against going this year but I might be able to convince him if the price is right!! 😉
Maybe you could go during that time but just skip the weekend? (Use the weekend for resort or non-park days to avoid the worst of it?) I can't say that will work from personal experience, but it might help.

We went the week after Easter 2018, first week of April. We’ve been during all sorts of times, including the last three NYE’s, and this was my least favorite time to go. Even during Christmas/NYE you can find ways to zig when others zag. Our Easter week, it seemed like all we did was follow big crowds everywhere. The AKL pool quickly became our favorite spot.

I am quick to caution that the DIS can be full of a bit of hyperbole when it comes to crowd comments during various holidays, but our experience that year matched the hype.

YMMV though given the way Easter shifts around.

I'll start with anytime in Disney no matter when it is will always be great........................…. but my family and I went during easter break 1 time and will never do it again. Just too crowded for us!! It was so bad that my wife who was adamant she would never take our kids out of school for a trip, let us take our kids out of school for this years trip :)

Yeah, insane crowds are kinda what I figured! I think we'll just wait and pick another time, probably next year.
Good luck!! Hope your DH gets the time off. Bonus: You'll also get Ratatouille and maybe Tron or Guardians? I'm bummed we will miss Ratatouille. And the new nighttime show at Epcot! There's always more to look forward to!

Good luck!! Hope your DH gets the time off. Bonus: You'll also get Ratatouille and maybe Tron or Guardians? I'm bummed we will miss Ratatouille. And the new nighttime show at Epcot! There's always more to look forward to!
Thanks! Some members of my family are going in April and it's killing me that they'll see Star Wars before me!! ;)

It’s bad don’t let anyone kid you. No real way to miss the crowds. May get some time where it’s manageable but most of day it is not. HS is crowded outside of holidays and will be epic craze at Easter. Tough to enjoy when it is that busy.

We will be there 4/4-4/8, but are just planning on doing the AH at MK and AK. No parks during the day so we can try to avoid the crowds. Otherwise, we will be spending a lot of time by the pool, which I believe my kids love more than the parks! But if you already have tickets, I don't think that would work for you as you wouldn't be saving money and wouldn't be able to see the new Star Wars land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter