How busy is July 4th week?

FredS

DIS Veteran
In looking at my calendar, it might work better if we came at the very end of June, into July. This would be the weekend before and the week in which July 4th is Friday. Are the campgrounds significantly more crowded during that week?

I am still trying to determine the "busy" time for FW, as I am sure it is different than the resorts due to the heat and humidity. We will make at least three visits to WDW in 2003, so I am more than happy to spend most of our time actually AT FW, unless that week and/or summer in general is packed. Input from anyone who has been in late June, early July would be particularly appreciated! Thanks.

The parks are traditionally busy the entire summer. 4th of July in the parks is traditionally one of the busiest summer weeks.

We just reserved a preferred site for that exact week. The first person my wife got at CRO must have been a trainee or something. When she callled back a couple of days later she had no problems getting a reservation for that week. We arrive the 28th and depart the 5th. My son is in school now, you go when you can and I can do that week and only take 3 days of vacation so we are going.

I have been to Disney MANY times, including later in July, so I am familiar with the general attendance patterns. I have never, however, stayed at Fort Wilderness and would plan to spend the vast majority of our time there on this trip. Since summer is regular season for FW -- not peak or holiday-- that it is not one of the busiest times for FW I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it is not a bad time to schedule our visit, particularly since we will be in a camper (with air conditioning!) and not tent camping.

I called and made reservations this afternoon, and had no problems with the full week, so I guess (hope) that this is a less busy time for the campground area of WDW. Anyone who can shed light on the "busyness" of FW in mid-summer? Thanks!

We were at FW last 4th of July and the campground was a sell out. We have been to FW many times when the campground was a sell out. If you are planing on staying in the campground you really will not notice crowds too much. The parks will be a mad house. But the campground with the exception of July 4th night on the beach for the fireworks will be OK. It will be hard to get a golf cart if you do not reserve one. There will be more people packing on sites during a holiday week and more weekend warrior/partiers but FW is so big and spread out we have always had a great time. We do eat all our meals at camp so I can't really say how much harder trying to eat in one of the FW restaurants will be.

I was talking with my neighbors last night who were there last week and they said the security at FW was very aggressively enforcing many of the rules they used to let slide. They saw many warnings being issued for multiple vehicles on sites, tents or other items like car and golf cart trailers not on the paved part of the site, multiple camping units on one site. So maybe they will have a little better handle on the big groups packing on sites and partying late into the night.

Last 4th of July in the 1300 loop there were so many vehicles on sites I had a hard time driving a golf cart around the loop. I can't imagine what it would be like to drive a class A or big fifth wheel rig around that loop. There was one site that had a class A on the driveway with a popup on the sand pad behind it and a very large tent off in the grass with 2 trucks parked along the edge of the road. They were set up like that all 4 days we were there. I don't think anyone else will be able to get away with that anymore.

I'm calling back! I made our reservations a couple of months ago and there was NO availability for a preferred site the last week of June and 1st week of July. I booked a full hookup, but really wanted a preferred.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter