How can I Waterproof my new digital camera!

fairytinkerbell

<font color=purple>The music in the Disney Plannin
:wave: Going on Kali Rapids, and other rides and may get splashed. How do I protect my camera?

I tried going to marineworld.com and boatersworld.com and couldn't find a waterproof camera case. I called camera stores and they said i could buy the actual casing to go around the camera, it can go in 100 feet of water, for only $200. :faint:

Isn't there a more economical way to do this? HELP!

I just want a bag or case, w/ a good zipper that seals tight and in and out lining is waterproof/resistant, that would fit the very small new nikon coolpix 4200.

THANK U!!!:wave:

I would suggest a ziploc bag inside a normal camera case... be careful with condensation though, it's a camera killer, especially when the camera is one sealed unit.

If you want to take photos in wet environments, then the plastic case is the only real option... everything else will cause distortion of the pictures.

I was on Kali last week with my digital camera. I put the camera inside a zip lock and then put that bag inside my camera bag. I put the camera bag in the covered well on the ride and everything stayed dry.

There are some sporting goods stores (REI around here, for one), that sell water gear for protecting cameras, cell phones, etc.

There are at least two options:
1) A hard plastic case that has a rubber ring around it so when you close the latches it has an airtight seal. (My dad got one of these to protect his camera when he went to Mexico and it worked great!)
2) A large, glorified Ziploc made out of tough plastic with a Ziploc-type press seal or zipper seal. The good part about these is that they're made out of a stronger, thicker plastic than your average Ziploc baggie, and they usually come in a variety of sizes, some even larger than gallon size, if you need that sort of thing.

Hope this helps!

To answer your question we bought a heavy dut ziploc type bag at Sports Authority in Orlando one year when it was raining cats and dogs. It was pretty inexpensive and worked great for us.

Sorry to jump in on your thread - but on that subject has anyone ever used the cases for the cameras that can go underwater? (For digital cameras) My DH wants one and I just can't bring myself to get one and potentially destroy a $600 camera.

Thanks!

Those big heavy duty ziplocks are called dry bags, people use them camping, kayaking, etc. You should be able to find them pretty easily by asking for "drybags"

The cases work pretty well, you just need to watch the gasket to make sure it seals ok, sometimes they'll get nicked taking the camera out.

You know, you don't have top put in a $600 camera to test them out, though. Bring it home, fill the tub, or take it in the pool, and sit it in there for a while, without putting the camera in. You'll see bubbles if the case is leaking, and water inside after you take it out. Then just return it, it's defective, and you didn't ruin your camera.

Double ziplock it in case one has a hole. Freezer bags are pretty heavy duty.

Do you want to take pictures? I'd just use a waterproof disposable for that!

Otherwise, I've never had a problem using regular ziploc bags.

I think if you were going to spend 200-300 on a case I would just buy the OPTIO 43WR like me :)
This camera is a weather resistant camera and can even be dropped in water and still be fine. They have some cheaper ones out there, but this one is 4mp and I am getting it just because of our trips to amusement parks.

A standard Ziplock bag inside your normal case or fanny pack is all that's needed on Kali. Remember, the worst that's going to happen to it is that it'll get splashed by a wave.... You're not going to submerge the camera in water!

Inside my fanny back I carry a couple of folded Ziplock bags for things like tickets, cell phone, autograph book, digital camera, fastpasses, etc. That's all that's really needed to protect these items from a threat that's bigger than Kali... Orlando thunderstorms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter