How do I prevent my dd's feet from smelling? (no joke)

zakatak

<font color=deeppink>Cinderella looked at me like
This is not a joke. I am completely serious. My 2 yo dd's feet STINK after they have been in her socks and sneakers (even sandals) for a while. IS there any way to prevent this? Baby powder? Talc?

Thanks for any ideas! I really need them!

Karen

I've heard great things about Gold bonds foot powder.

That's funny Kejoda, before I read your reply I was thinking GOLD BOND! Works great, if baby isn't strong enough, go for the regular Gold Bond. As a matter of fact, not 10 minutes ago I rounded up the kids sneaks and loaded them all with Gold Bond to sit over night.

Also try washing her feet in the bathroom with soap and water a few times thru the day, like when your in there anyway. Then a new sprinkle should keep her fresh.
Try sandals,especially since you'll probably have a stroller for one that age, then the feet can breath.

Hopefully I won't smell those feet from Florida to Iowa!!!!!

:)

You may have to seriously look at a different pair of foot attire. Maybe the vinyl or leather or whatever material isn't allowing her feet to breath. Could even be the sock material. The sandals are a good idea but you may have to look into this further.

The smell is from bacteria and her two yr old feet should not smell. Putting soda or bond's on her skin isn't a solution it is only masking it.

I know this is no joke! You should wash her feet a every night and morning with a good product like Dr Scholl's or even "Dettol".
Let us know ....

OK... Now you have me worried! :eek: Her feet smell even after a while in Sandals! I am telling you they reek! My other kids feet don't smell hardly at all (including my six year old son!).

She wears Striderite sneakers, sandals and her summer ones were cloth sneakers. With or without socks. Ugh. I can't seem to find an answer.

No joking here, but do you think I should ask the doctor about this? Or will they laugh at me... :rolleyes:

I will try to wash them every morning before putting on her socks and shoes (with powder), then when she comes home (more powder and no shoes), then before bed? Sounds like fun! :Pinkbounc (That is sarcasm, in case you missed it!)

Thanks for the help. I will let you know in a few days if it works out. At least I have a plan for Disney now...

Karen & the stinky feet Abby

No kidding, your daughter is too young to have stinky feet. If she were a teenage boy, it wouldn't be too uncommon but she is too young to have that problem. One of my son's had stinky feet at a young age. I tried washing the sneakers, baking soda, etc. on his feet. He had a fungus infection commonly called athlete's foot. He didn't have any other symptoms such as cracks between the toes or itching either. Within a day of using athlete's foot medicine, the odor was gone. He continued using it for 2 weeks and has been completely odor free for over a year. Now whenever anyone's feet in my family start to stink, we buy over-the-counter athlete's foot medicine , treat the feet with the medicine, and then wash all the shoes and the problem is solved.

It's very hard to distinguish a bacterial infection from a yeast or fungi infection so you might want to take her to the doctor first.

Bev

Ahhh, we are all mostly parents here but when we have a "problem" we all just want to help! It's in our blood!

This isn't serious but it should be treated and it will clear up quickly! It is also contagious if it is Athlete's foot.

All the best to you and your dd!!

I was reading First and just came across this in the September 30, 2002 issue of First for Women:
"De-stink kiddie feet" "Children can have the worst-smelling feet, so to keep them fresh, have your kids wash their tootsies with soap and water, pat dry, then spray their feet with plain deodorant. If they follow this ritual before they put on their socks and shoes in the morning and again before bed, you'll notice a big difference!" Let us know if you try it and it works. Good luck!

Try underarm deodorant. Don't laugh. If it control the smell of underarms, it does the same for your feet. Your feet sweat as much as your underarm.

Pick up the 9/10 edition of Woman's World Magazine and there is an article on it.

From a pediatrician- try a gentle underarm deoderant. There are also prescription meds you can get- like Drysol, that work great. Its very common!

Cotton Socks on the feet!

and the gold bond in the shoes

and mild deoderant when "stinky feet" wears sandals.

=:-)

Hi

I spray my daughters sneakers with Fabreeze at night. It dries by the morning and really works great.

Other family members have been using these "wash gloves" for years, and they are AWESOME!!!

In addition to taking off all your dead dry skin, using them to thouroughly scrub one's feet really helps eliminate odor.
If you try this and still wear old shoes that have your foot odor, you won't notice the improvement as much, but if you try this when you start wearing new shoes, you will be amazed by the difference.

An earlier poster referred to bacteria causing odor, and the effectiveness of these wash gloves is based on that fact. Removing the dead skin along with the bacteria is doubly effective.

They can be found in the cosmetics section of most grocery stores, and you can get them in many colors, usually for $5 or $6. They work incredibly well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter