How do they enforce pacing for shorter races?

Minimousemomof2

Earning My Ears
For the 10K races - more specifically the Spring race mostly inside EPCOT, how do they handle someone who is falling behind the maximum pace requirement?

I've done the Princess Half twice and I understand they can sweep the stragglers and load them into vans, but that race is mostly on highway. So how to they handle races like the 10K that occur mostly inside the park?

I don’t remember if if was W&D or MW, I think W&D, we were in EPCOT after we finished and we saw a guy on a golf cart following a runner closely who looked like they were about to be swept. The bike gang was on their heels. So that might be their method, not sure though.

For the 10K races - more specifically the Spring race mostly inside EPCOT, how do they handle someone who is falling behind the maximum pace requirement?

I've done the Princess Half twice and I understand they can sweep the stragglers and load them into vans, but that race is mostly on highway. So how to they handle races like the 10K that occur mostly inside the park?
If they stick to the old course map again for 2023. Which there isn't a guarantee for they keep changing the 10k route it feels like.

Then technically either anywhere thats in the highway. Because yeah we do spend two miles out there. Or the places where you go from on or off stage if there's enough room to pull the bus in. Almost got swept in 2019 I think it was on Dopey because I got through the last water stop which was backstage right before they pulled the sweep wagon out.

Basically there's some places you can stick a van or bus backstage you might not think of looking at the map initially.

I don’t remember if if was W&D or MW, I think W&D, we were in EPCOT after we finished and we saw a guy on a golf cart following a runner closely who looked like they were about to be swept. The bike gang was on their heels. So that might be their method, not sure though.
Could also have been the DLFer. They tend to huddle around them in their experience. Usually when your that far back their telling you to keep moving or else they'll make you get on if they don't have another hard sweep planned.

Last edited:

I think someone mentioned here that they use golf carts to help the final runners along in the 5k. I’m not sure if they do the same for the 10k but I would guess not.

For this year’s 10k, there were sweep busses before the cloverleaf, and again before heading into HS. There could have been more outside HS before going to the boardwalk, but I can’t remember seeing any. There’s also room to get a bus backstage before going into Epcot and by the Guardians building.

The pacers on the bike will be in front of them, and others will come by to block the course physically and pick them up. Likely on golf carts.

I spectated for the Princess 10K, and we stayed until the end. Last year I got a DNF for the Half, so it was important for me to support those at the very back. They were allowing people to be behind the pacers while on the Boardwalk, but I've heard that some were swept literally at mile 5.9, which would be just out of public view (smart of Disney, and less embarrassing for those being swept then, but so heartbreaking) and inside of Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter