how do you keep kids happy while waiting in lines?

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep kids happy while waiting in lines for the rides? We will be taking our 3 y/o and 1 y/o October 5-12. Also, will there be long lines at this time of year? Any help is appreciated!

We went at the end of October 2000 with our then 22 month old, and we never had a wait of more than 10 minutes for any ride. There are so many things to look at while standing in line that we just spent our time pointing things out to her & talking about the rides to come. I'd also packed a small no-spill bottle of bubbles and some snacks...just in case.. but we never had time to pull them out!

Have a great trip! :)

Thanks for your help! Bubbles - what a great idea! I hope we are as lucky as you were in terms of short lines.

I've heard of people using stickers, body markers, and pipe cleaners. Play a game of eye spy. The ques are so detailed there is a lot to look at.

I was going to suggest bubbles too. Just be sure to blow them low and/or away from other people.

My DD LOVED the squeeze breeze fan. We called it her "magic fan" because it kept her happy.

And be prepared to play a lot of peek-a-boo with your 1000. How about the Itsy Bitsy Spider and Little Rabbit Froo Froo? They're always good for a few minutes' distraction.

Thanks for your replies. Bubbles, stickers, games of eye spy, etc. - all great ideas. Also, thanks for reminding me that there is a lot to take notice of while waiting in line. I'm just a little nervous, hoping the kids will be good and happy and that they will have fun. We've been to WDW many times, but this is our first trip with the kids!

We discovered we didn't need anything. The lines moved pretty fast. We were out of the parks or using FastPasses when they weren't moving fast. In addition to using the short waits for looking around, our kids seemed to need the time to process what they were seeing. We were willing to talk to them and pick them up in line (only possible by the end of seven days because of strollers and more adults than children).

How about one of those pocket magna doodles for your
three year old.

Try not to wait in many lines by using Fastpass efficiently. We were totally spoiled by Fastpass in June, to the point that at night when the Fastpasses were gone, it was hard to deal with.

For example, upon arriving at MK we walked quickly to Dumbo and were the first people on the second spin of the day. We got off, and immediately got fastpasses for Winnie the Pooh on the way to the Raceway which did not have FP and our line was not very long there. By the time we were done, it was time for Pooh Fastpass, but I walked quickly by myself over to Buzz Lightyear to get our next fastpasses then rejoined the family to ride the Barnstormer before Pooh. By then, it was time for Buzz. If you look at the map and think it through, you can do this all day. I would suggest having an adult do any required running around for fastpasses. I met a lady who said what I was doing was too much trouble, but believe me, it was less trouble than entertaining 3 young children in long, hot lines. Hit the rides with no FP early, and always have a FP "cooking" in your pocket. We never ate a meal without one, etc...

Thanks again for your replies and the fastpass strategy suggestions. I hadn't given that much thought to fastpasses, but they can help so much! It hadn't occurred to me to have one adult go get them while the other waits with the kids, but it makes perfect sense!

Tha fast pass makes a world of difference! Like LKS we never eat a meal without a FP in our pocket. I'm a single parent so I can't send someone off to get FP but we will walk a little out of our way to get a FP and then hit other attractions while we wait. Not waiting in long lines is worth a few extra steps to me.

With little kids it important to get to Fantasyland as soon as they open and ride without long lines. Then you can get a FP and ride more than once.

Bubbles are great! When we pull ours out, naturally every kid close-by gets involved. I just love the looks of appreciation and the sighs of relief from the other frazzled parents!

Also, we look for "Hidden Mickeys" everywhere (or we'll get silly and look for "Hidden Goofys" or "Hidden Donalds"). For children just learning to read, have them read the various signs, or look for letters, or make up words/sentences. If there are enough people in your group (almost any age), make up stories about being a Disney character. One person could start, then each person add a little more -- the sillier the better. Again, you'll soon notice other families following your example.

Also, observe what other families do to cope with waiting in lines (but ignore the ones that scream and yell and hit their kids when the kids are just tired and cranky, and, well, kids). You learn a lot from watching others.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: (can't help it -- these little guys are too cute)

Since you are staying on site, you'll definitely want to take advantage of early entry, which starts back up on October 1st. It's now called the Magic Hour, but this is when certain parks open up an hour early only for resort guests. You'll be amazed at how much you can get done in that first hour before the crowds come in.

Here is the schedule for the new Magic Hours:

Magic Kingdom - Sunday, Thursday
Animal Kingdom - Monday, Friday
MGM Studios - Tuesday, Saturday
Epcot - Wednesday

If you take advantage of early entry and fastpass you've won half the battle! During the day when the crowds are heavier be sure to visit the lesser known attractions and shows, as these have little to no wait.

Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter