How do you like to embarrass your children ?

It's almost impossible to embarrass my kid. I dance in public, he just dances along with me. I call him baby (he's 42) he answers. I sing in public, he sings with me. I tell stories about his childhood to his SO, he laughs and tells more. Single mom, only child, he and his friends learned early to just go with it. I'm the youngest of 6, 5 older brothers. My parents didn't have time or energy to try to figure out ways to embarrass us and we were pretty much like me and my kid, anything goes.

I fail entirely at embarrassing my kids. Not that I try to do so, but I was pretty embarrassed by my parents at times without them ever setting out to make me feel that way and I'm pretty unfiltered compared to my mom (but pretty tame compared to my dad, so there's that...). I'm not sure if it is that my kind of cringey is okay with them or if they just don't embarrass easily or some combination of both, but they've never hesitated to bring friends around or volunteer me to drive (no matter how much I wish they would sometimes!) and I'm the mom who gets volunteered to chaperone for concerts and other late-night outings. So I guess I'm not that bad.

I don’t embarrass our son. I know what it’s like to be embarrassed by your parents and it hurts. I’m 60 years old and my parents are gone but when I think back to the times when my own mother would embarrass me about my weight in front of people it still hurts. She did it at Christmas and she did it on my birthday and I will never forget it. I wasn’t even that heavy so it was absolutely uncalled for. I wasn’t skinny and perfect looking so I guess she had to insult me about it in front of family and her friends.

I never do it on purpose, unfortunately I suspect I fairly frequently do it on accident.

On rare occasion when dd 24 is annoying in a store I like to go “omg Becky” in valley girl talk . Lol
Or I’ll pull up on YouTube a song I know she can’t stand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter