How do you picture this virus finally ending

Maybe, just maybe attacking a poster who is clearly dealing with a lot of trauma about covid is not a great plan? Some posters are being kind but others are being downright callous and their comments are coming off snarky even if that was not the intention.

@choirfarm Please hang in there. I am so sorry for your losses. I think if you choose to take control of your life by staying home to keep others safe that is a kind and compassionate sacrifice- just know that you are a worthy person even if you accidentally get covid and spread it. It would clearly not be a malicious action as you are trying so hard to keep yourself and others safe. Hugs.

Maybe, just maybe attacking a poster who is clearly dealing with a lot of trauma about covid is not a great plan? Some posters are being kind but others are being downright callous and their comments are coming off snarky even if that was not the intention.

@choirfarm Please hang in there. I am so sorry for your losses. I think if you choose to take control of your life by staying home to keep others safe that is a kind and compassionate sacrifice- just know that you are a worthy person even if you accidentally get covid and spread it. It would clearly not be a malicious action as you are trying so hard to keep yourself and others safe. Hugs.
I don't see attacking :confused: maybe a bit curt. Did I miss something? Either way I think everyone is just concerned, it's not an isolated thing and it spans many months with many posters taking note and trying to help. Talking about covid here only seems to make them more despondent. I wouldn't wish that on anyone :hug:

But back to the actual topic of the thread :)

(and you can private message me if you feel more comfortable doing that if you want to say more)

I have to agree with this. Maybe not attacking, but the continual discussion and many people commenting and saying how her feelings are wrong, probably feels like ganging up on. Even if it’s well intentioned, it can beat someone down.

My best friend’s husband just died of covid last week. It’s been a mind game. Reading boards and Facebook and stuff may not help, but it’s also like a safety blanket, so just avoiding may not help either. Life is complicated right now. 🤷‍♀️

Ultimately, I don't ever see this pandemic ending. I foresee us wearing masks and social distancing for the next 20 years, if not the rest of our lives. Even if the mandates get lifted eventually, I don't think businesses and major gatherings like sporting, concert and theatre venues will ever allow the capacities they were once able to fill at once. Some companies just might not be willing to take the risk even after the mask/distancing mandates are lifted and may still impose them on their employees.

One of the nurses on rotation at Lifestream, the Blood Bank where I donate and volunteer at, has made the claim that masks and social distancing will likely be indefinite for its employees for the health of both them and the donors they work with. It would not at all surprise me if this ends up being the case, and I don't think it's wrong either. You just can't be too careful with this thing.

Last edited:
Ultimately, I don't ever see this pandemic ending. I foresee us wearing masks and social distancing for the next 20 years, if not the rest of our lives. Even if the mandates get lifted eventually, I don't think businesses and major gatherings like sporting, concert and theatre venues will ever allow the capacities they were once able to fill at once. Some companies just might not be willing to take the risk even after the mask/distancing mandates are lifted and may still impose them on their employees.

One of the nurses on rotation at Lifestream, the Blood Bank where I donate and volunteer at, has made the claim that masks and social distancing will likely be indefinite for its employees for the health of both them and the donors they work with. It would not at all surprise me if this ends up being the case, and I don't think it's wrong either. You just can't be too careful with this thing.

the Spanish flu was much much worse than covid and life went back to normal. Soon after we had the roaring 20s.

People have already given up on wearing masks and social distancing. No way it lasts 20 years, let alone 2 more years.

the Spanish flu was much much worse than covid and life went back to normal. Soon after we had the roaring 20s.

People have already given up on wearing masks and social distancing. No way it lasts 20 years, let alone 2 more years.

People giving up and not abiding by CDC guidelines and state mandates does not mean those guidelines and mandates are going away. If anything, the lack of vigilance by people will result in another spike and extend how long these mandates remain in place before we can go back to any sense of normalcy.

People giving up and not abiding by CDC guidelines and state mandates does not mean those guidelines and mandates are going away. If anything, the lack of vigilance by people will result in another spike and extend how long these mandates remain in place before we can go back to any sense of normalcy.

DF177DD7-1632-48FC-8F9A-47CC2809B01C.jpeg

Mandates are already going away in many states.

Well, when those states get another major outbreak and hospitals become overburdened again, they'll likely reinstate those mandates.

I live in California, and I don't see the masks or the social distancing going away here, not before 2022 at the very least.

I don’t follow the mandates closely but I know some of these states have never had a mask mandate to begin with.

Well, when those states get another major outbreak and hospitals become overburdened again, they'll likely reinstate those mandates.

I live in California, and I don't see the masks or the social distancing going away here, not before 2022 at the very least.

Here's a map from 3/4:

As far as reinstate mask mandates..that won't be so easy. I mean maybe some governor can but whether there will be compliance from people who stopped wearing them when the mandate went away is a totally different question. It also might be a totally different story if say we weren't in the vaccination phase at all. But we are so we need to also look at it from that viewpoint instead of just looking at it from outbreaks and hospitalizations because it's not the same environment as before.

View attachment 560836

Mandates are already going away in many states.
It's interesting to compare that map with case numbers. There are 12 purple states and 6 blue states by my count.

Looking at cases per capita:
-3 out of the 5 worst states are purple
-8 out of the 10 worst states are purple or blue
-11 out of the 15 worst states are purple or blue

If you flip it and look at lowest cases per capita, the only blue/purple state in the top 15 is Alaska. All others are red.

Based on that alone I don't see many of them rushing to reinstate mask policies. Keeping the number of cases low has never been a priority in those states.

Last edited:

There is no way that masks and distancing stay around another 20 years. That’s an entirely new adult generation who will have never lived through this. People will start relaxing and become more comfortable with things, much like we do with the regular flu. We know it’s a still a risk, so we make calculated decisions. We’ll also hopefully learn more about this virus that helps with transmission. I think we’ll see as the majority of people can be vaccinated, especially children, people stop worrying about the masks and distancing. There will always be those people who choose to continue doing those things, but they won’t be mandates.

I did see your further comment that they’ll be required to some degree in CA into 2022 and I agree with you, but that is isolated to this state and much different then 20 years-lifetime.

I'm paraphrasing but I think Covid will end not with a bang, but a whimper. It's not going to suddenly go away but it will recede, and I think the natural resurgences of the virus will happen during flu season and will get less and less deadly as more people are vaccinated and we establish some herd immunity. There will probably be vulnerable pockets of the population that will experience worse effects at times but it will never be as bad as last March or this winter, I think we are over the worst of it as long as we can all keep wearing our masks, avoiding large crowds, and getting vaccinated. I think 2 years from now masks won't really be necessary anymore.

There is no way that masks and distancing stay around another 20 years. That’s an entirely new adult generation who will have never lived through this.

i don't quite understand this reasoning. there are a myriad of what we consider normal, common practices and habits we practice in today's world that came into being as a result of events or health and safety decisions that originated long before many of us even older adults were born. we grew up with them being in practice and it just came as second nature (or in my case-i remember the before but adapted to the after if it happened from the mid 60's on)-

seat belts in cars -all occurring b/c of national safety reports in the 50's and 60's, not a standard option in cars until 1964, not required in vehicles until 1968, and still not required in every u.s. state for adults-but we all use them,

car seats/booster seats-70's/early 80's national traffic safety statistics that were gnarly on infant/child survival crash rates. no parent had to live through watching those on the nightly news to have picked up the habit of using a baby/booster seat long before it became law in '85 to restrain infants (and surprisingly for non infant children not until 2000 for the first 2 states that initiated them),

so many things kids and young adults of today have grown up with as their norm are born of events that when you look at them, happened much longer ago than we realize so they have no personal experiences with the initiating events that resulted in mass changes in lifestyle-

tsa-9/11 (20 years ago)

metal detectors in schools/clear backpacks/no or see through lockers-columbine (22 years ago)

sexual education, safe sex (beyond contraception) common practices being openly talked of in the classroom (at least some) and the media-february 1987-over 34 years ago when the world health organization FINALLY initiated a global AIDS program to raise awareness and educate.

maybe in 20 years no one will be wearing masks or social distancing but this pandemic just as other health and safety events dating back decades will i believe in some manner leave it's mark on human behaviour.

i don't quite understand this reasoning. there are a myriad of what we consider normal, common practices and habits we practice in today's world that came into being as a result of events or health and safety decisions that originated long before many of us even older adults were born. we grew up with them being in practice and it just came as second nature (or in my case-i remember the before but adapted to the after if it happened from the mid 60's on)-

seat belts in cars -all occurring b/c of national safety reports in the 50's and 60's, not a standard option in cars until 1964, not required in vehicles until 1968, and still not required in every u.s. state for adults-but we all use them,

car seats/booster seats-70's/early 80's national traffic safety statistics that were gnarly on infant/child survival crash rates. no parent had to live through watching those on the nightly news to have picked up the habit of using a baby/booster seat long before it became law in '85 to restrain infants (and surprisingly for non infant children not until 2000 for the first 2 states that initiated them),

so many things kids and young adults of today have grown up with as their norm are born of events that when you look at them, happened much longer ago than we realize so they have no personal experiences with the initiating events that resulted in mass changes in lifestyle-

tsa-9/11 (20 years ago)

metal detectors in schools/clear backpacks/no or see through lockers-columbine (22 years ago)

sexual education, safe sex (beyond contraception) common practices being openly talked of in the classroom (at least some) and the media-february 1987-over 34 years ago when the world health organization FINALLY initiated a global AIDS program to raise awareness and educate.

maybe in 20 years no one will be wearing masks or social distancing but this pandemic just as other health and safety events dating back decades will i believe in some manner leave it's mark on human behaviour.
First, with your last statement, it appears you're taking my comment out of context. What I said was directly related to masks and social distance. So you saying they may not be around in 20 years is exactly what I said, although I'm confident enough to say they will the minority - there isn't "maybe" about it. The only point of that part of the comment was that we will have a generation who won't understand what it was like besides being told. They won't have the same emotional pull to the virus that all of us do.

But it's easy, honestly. We already have people not wearing masks and states lifting more and more restrictions while we're still essentially in the middle of a pandemic. We will get to the point soon, where we will have enough vaccinated, it will be treated like the flu (and yes, I understand it isn't the flu). They masked during the Spanish Flu and masks were gone when the pandemic ended, even though the flu didn't. We know how bad that flu was based on stories, but we don't continue to mask because of it.

Your other examples don't work though, honestly. Not all states have seat belt laws and not everybody wears one. A lot of people use car seats because it's the law. I bet if it weren't plenty would still forgo them. Plenty of people don't practice safe sex. Not all schools have metal detectors. Even TSA precautions have changed over the years with different rules for children, TSA precheck, etc. So like all of these, people will continue to make the choice for themselves on masks & distance, but it won't be mandated. It will never be law and it will not be common place. The way people are treating right now is evidence enough.

I’m in California and I almost never wear a mask outside (when I visit Downtown Disney and when I go on campus at school are the two exceptions I can think of). Even in stores I don’t always wear them - especially if there’s self checkout. I consider it an interesting interesting social experiment to see when I’ll get stopped by a worker. It hasn’t happened yet. I’m not very intimidating either.

I guess I’m saying eventually the majority of the people will stop wearing them and the charade will end. At least I hope so. The shoe bomber was almost 20 years ago and we’re still taking our GD shoes off at the airport. Such theater!

I don't remember hearing about how bad the Spanish flu was in 1918, maybe I studied it in high school history, but I don't remember it.

The first time I remember knowing how big of a situation it was was touring an exhibit in the St Louis art museum in the summer of 2019. I didn't even remember that masks were worn until references to it in news stories this year.

I did see in genealogy that I had a distant cousin who died of the flu in 1918. He had been in the military. I found it interesting that his death wasn't due to the war he served in. But at the time I shrugged it off as 'oh the flu- treatment wasn't like today'. Never realizing it was a pandemic .

Where I live, I've heard more about the yellow fever epidemics in the 1800s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter