• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you say "Jiko?"

brettb

Mouseketeer
I just made a reservation and the cast member kept saying "J.eye.ko" and at the end he said, "I hope I'm saying that right."

I said, "I think it may be "Jeeko." Which is how I've been pronouncing it all along. But then I thought he may be right--even if he wasn't sure at all. After all, the "i" is before a single consonant that's followed by a vowel, so maybe it really should be a long "i" sound.

It wouldn't be the first time that I've seen a word in print and formed my own incorrect assumption about its pronunciation and been shocked when I've heard somebody else say it. And of course my initial reaction is to think they don't know how to pronounce it.... so I head to the dictionary and find out I've been wrong for years..... :rolleyes:

Brett

We stayed at AKL in 2003 and ate at Jiko. To the best of my recollection it was pronounced "gee-ko" just as you thought. To clarify, call the AKL and ask a cast member there - I am sure they know?!?!

Whatever the case, the restaurant is very nice. The bar/lounge outside (Victoria Falls?) is a beautiful place to have a drink before/after dinner as well. Enjoy!

Just about every language other than English pronounces the letter "i" as "ee". I don't know why English is different in this way.

Jiko is pronounced "geeko". Either way you want to pronounce it, it still says "great food".

Just got back less than an hour ago and had a great meal at Jiko (definitely pronounced Jeeeeeko). I'll post my dining reviews in the coming days. By the way, Jiko means "the cooking place" and they have a bar area around a wood burning oven where they cook a lot of the flat breads etc...very cool place to sit!
Stay tuned for the reivews!

Karen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter